Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visas, jobs, love, and the military  (Read 702 times)

• Liked: 0
Visas, jobs, love, and the military
« on: April 05, 2005, 03:22:03 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm new here.  Tried to post a happy little hello message on the "welcome wagon" forum section but it didn't appear to have worked - with any luck I'll have more success here.  In any case, please forgive me if these are questions that have been asked and answered a thousand times before - just point me towards the thread and I'll happily go there.

Now, about me.  I'm currently in the U.S. military.  Since it's becoming increasingly obvious that the Navy isn't really willing to post me to the UK, I'm planning on getting out - that's about a year from now.  My boyfriend is British and, despite the hopeless romance sound of the story, we have every intention of somehow making this work and being together.  But, I had no clue it would be this difficult!  I understand my basic options for visas, but I'm not sure if the one for, oh, what is it, "Talented Immigrants With Lots of Credentials" would really work for me.  I have a ton of experience in the military as an Arabic linguist, but no actual university degrees to back me up - just military stuff.  Any chance that I would still qualify? 

Secondly, am I jumping the gun here by trying to get this taken care of a full year in advance of the time I can actually move?  My dilemma is that the military is wanting me to make a decision about re-enlisting (or not) NOW, so I really need to know my options as a civilian working in the UK before I tell the Navy to leave me alone. 

Does anyone have a similar experience?  Any advice?  Pointers about the timeframe in which I should be doing all of this?  Again, I'm so sorry if these questions have already been answered.  I look forward (desparately!) to hearing from you all.

Thank you,
Linnea

Re: Visas, jobs, love, and the military
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 10:56:35 PM »
I think that the visa that you are talking about is the Highly Skilled Migrant Worker visa...or something like that. It's awarded on a points basis and you need 65 points (I think) to get it. You get a certain number of points for university degrees (sorry, i don't think that you get any points if its not a degree), your recent salary, your age (five points if you're under 28) and other things. It's difficult to get. I'm five points short with two bachelors degrees and a pretty decent salary.

You should be able to find more info by running a Google search.

Good luck.

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 03:00:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Sorry to hear that you're so close from getting yours, yet still a bit away.  Yes, it is the HSMP Visa, I couldn't remember the name for the life of me when I first typed up this post - being overwhelmed by the wealth of possibilities and obstacles can make a person's brain do funny things!

I will do a search on the web, but just off the top of your (or anyone else's) head, I'm curious to know just how strictly this HSMP visa is controlled.  No, sillies, I'm not talking about faking degrees or anything along those devious lines, but rather, does the government go absolutely only on this BA = 15 (?) points, etc. system, without looking at a person's work experience?  Or would it be possible for me to write and say, "Hi.  I don't have a degree, but what I do have is a wealth of experience equal to a higher education in a job field that is quite desirable!" ?  Goodness, I can't even get into how little the military pays me, I don't think it's even on the HSMP list - but hey, points for being under 28!  Ding ding ding!   

Maybe they'll think I'm charming and go for it.  Hah!

Thanks again for the help.  Good luck!

Linnea

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 03:06:46 PM »
Have a look at this thread.  Looks like they're pretty strict.

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=11321.0

• Hi there.
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 03:10:41 PM »
I do believe that they go strictly by the number of points.

Scroll down on this page to find the HSMP forms.  You can see whether you could earn the necessary number of points by going through it.
Liz

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 02:51:29 AM »
Have a look at this thread.  Looks like they're pretty strict.

From the other 4 HSMP bulletin boards I subscribe to, I can also advise you that they are very strict. 

It is not enough to actually qualify for the 65 points.  You have to submit documentation that proves you qualify for all 65 points.   :-\\\\ 
The more documentation from the more different sources you have, the better.

I qualify for the 65 points.  But knowing whether I've submitted enough documentation to PROVE that I deserve the 65 points -- I'm just not sure. 

Anyways, I submitted the documentation in early October 2004.  Now it's just a waiting game, waiting for the Home Office to reach the October 2004 applications....

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 02:55:35 PM »
Oh, boy... sounds slightly discouraging (and that's the understatement of the year).
But, when there's a will there's a way, right?

Thanks to everyone for the much-needed and appreciated input!

Linnea

• Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 03:18:22 PM »
There's always a fiancee'/spouse visa!   ;)

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 07:06:12 PM »
Hehe, yeah, I'm all too well aware of that.  We've talked about it but at this point I think it's kind of a last resort option.  Although it is a definite solution - and honestly, probably the easiest one of all - I am really not thrilled with the idea of depending entirely on someone else for support during the months between going over and marrying/finding a job.  Maybe that's stubborn of me, but no way do I desire for someone else to cover my "I was dumb with credit cards when I was 19" bill!  Oh, if I knew then what I knew now.

I'm sure we'll make it work.  Just take it one day at a time, I think, with plenty of advice and support  :)
(See my post in the "Jobs" threads for an equally confident but much more stressed-out take on the subject!)

Linnea

Sponsored Links