Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: N.I.N interview  (Read 1719 times)

• Sell crazy somewhere else, we're stocked up here
  • Liked: 0
N.I.N interview
« on: May 12, 2005, 08:11:32 PM »
Hiya everyone. I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place but hopefully I am. I am attending an interview on Saturday for getting a National Insurance Number. I was sent some information in the post about what I'm supposed to bring with me. It also said the interview will last approximately an hour and a half. I honestly didn't think it would be that long and I'm wondering why such a long interview?? I have no idea what to expect, I don't know what sort of questions they will ask. Anyone else here gone through the same thing?? Could someone give me ideas on what I am to expect?? Thanks a lot  :)

Re: N.I.N interview
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 08:28:39 PM »
There is an old thread somewhere regarding NIN interviews. When I went I just sat on a little stool in front of a man behind glass and I handed over my paperwork and he went through it. He disappeared for about 15 min and brought me back my papers and that was it. I think it took about 40 min in total. No problems. Very simple. :)

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 03:54:34 AM »
I was a bit concerned too-- but it is really harmless. They just fill out the form with you asking questions as they go. They do ask for dates of all your visits to the UK so make sure you have them handy (usually you can just go by your stamps in your passport). Honestly don't worry, lots of questions but painless....questions such as birthdate--- all members of your families names--- marriage date......etc.

Helena

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 06:38:15 AM »
An hour and a half?  Uh.  I went in with our passports and the work permit, and had a (very) brief physical.  It took all of 15 mintutes.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 06:43:55 AM by EustaceTilley »
Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 06:45:53 AM »
An hour and a half?  Uh.  I went in with our passports and the work permit, and had a (very) brief physical.  It took all of 15 mintutes.
Physical? Didn't need a physical to receive national insurance number--- I think maybe you are thinking about registering with the NHS

Helena

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 09:19:23 AM »
Physical? Didn't need a physical to receive national insurance number--- I think maybe you are thinking about registering with the NHS

You're absolutely right; my mistake.  I was thinking about getting our NHS cards!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 09:58:35 AM »
You're absolutely right; my mistake.  I was thinking about getting our NHS cards!

LOL!!!  I was thinking you must have been the victim of some seriously inappropriate behavior from the National Insurance people! [smiley=laugh4.gif]  You must have felt so violated!
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 01:23:51 PM »
My NIN interview took me at least an hour - I was surprised! The most time consuming part was remembering every single flight I had taken in and out of America... we had to go through my passport, right all the dates down, and figure it out. Plus it tooka lot of time to initial every page, then have her initial every page... and it was just more tedious than anything. Lots of questions, none of them hard though!
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 01:28:08 PM »
Boy, I must have been really lucky because I don't remember having to do a NIN interview.  Of course, that was six years ago.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 03:13:37 PM »
Here's the link to the UK-Yankee "FAQ" on NIN numbers:

http://www.talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=3119.0

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2005, 05:33:27 PM »
My NIN interview took me at least an hour - I was surprised! The most time consuming part was remembering every single flight I had taken in and out of America... we had to go through my passport, right all the dates down, and figure it out. Plus it tooka lot of time to initial every page, then have her initial every page... and it was just more tedious than anything. Lots of questions, none of them hard though!
I wasnt questioned about anything at all. They looked at my papers, made some copies and that was it. It took about 40 min because the interview disappeared for about a half hour. It was so easy. I walked out of there not knowing exactly why they call it an interview.

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2005, 07:33:18 PM »
My NIN interview took for freaking ever.  And they wanted me to come back because I hadn't brought the husbands' passport (which I didn't need).  I argued with them about that and won.  But it did take about an hour and a half. 

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2005, 09:16:34 PM »
It took about 1/2 an hour tops.  It helps having a UK passport and a letter from the employer.   ;)

bvamin

• Liked: 5
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2005, 08:44:08 PM »
Mine took about 15-20 minutes.  I was well prepared, including having all my vists written down. It went very fast.  The interviewer told me because I was on work permit it was quicker than others, but no complaints from me.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 05:50:37 PM »
Maybe Mindy and I look suspicious, and that is why our interviews were so long?  ???
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab