Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Being a citizen or not?  (Read 2439 times)

• Liked: 2
Re: Being a citizen or not?
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2005, 07:12:58 PM »
To be fair, it's not bad at all here. I dreaded the ceremony but it was very nice. Yes we had to either swear or affirm the oath (and my lips didn't move either!) but the ones holding the ceremony circulated with everyone before and after. Overall it was formal but very laid back and the hot finger buffet was very good. Of course, this is N. Ireland; I get the feeling that Britain is more rushed.

I had mine on Tuesday -- and it was basically the exact same thing.  I didn't get the feeling it was rushed at all.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2005, 07:19:17 PM »
As a matter of curiosity, where was your ceremony? I've received the impression that N. Ireland makes a bigger deal of things (hot buffet, leather passport holder as a gift) but I may be wrong.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2005, 07:32:32 PM »
As a matter of curiosity, where was your ceremony? I've received the impression that N. Ireland makes a bigger deal of things (hot buffet, leather passport holder as a gift) but I may be wrong.
Kent
After we got the certificate -- shook hands with Mr. Ribbonwearingman, had pic taken, signed register - we got a goodie bag, stuff from the Council - passport holder with County seal.

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2005, 07:44:12 PM »
sfgirl, carolynb, mattj74

The same can be said of the US naturalization process as well.  Do I really need to know what the 50 stars or the 13 strips mean on the flag or who was the 16th president to be a good citizen?  No, but one still needs to know them cause those questions can be asked.

bvamin

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2005, 07:53:07 PM »
Absolutely! I don't agree with either system. If someone is a productive member of society and wishes to become a citizen then let them - without meaningless tests or ceremonies. (And the same societies should grant some type of Leave to Remain to refugees and give them the opportunity to become productive)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2005, 08:00:12 AM »
Good point, fair enough.  Just out of curiosity, did those of you who became naturalized US citizens have to pay loads of money to get to that point (in other words, a US equivalent to the initial 'coming over' visa(s) whatever it/they may have been, the LLR, ILR, etc) -- like those of us coming here have to pay and pay and pay and... :P  (I'm a Yorkshire lass, me.)

My US naturalisation was pretty straightforward. My Dad (a Mauritian citizen) became Canadian somewhere along the way in order to ease our move to the US. My Mom and I were British citizens. Because I was 13 when we moved to the US, I wasn't in charge of any of the money stuff. My parents did it all. They just gave me my green card and told me never to lose it! After 8 years, I decided to become a US citizen, but as I recall it only involved paperwork at that point, not money. Or else maybe Mom and Dad handled the $$ part of it for me. I don't even remember. We're all used to switching nationalities whenever we need for convenience's sake!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2005, 08:40:26 AM »
Thanks Helen -- would be interested to hear about others' experiences too (with the US naturalisation process), if they had to pay, etc.  Guess I'm just cheesed off 'cause over here it seems you have to pay through the nose for every step along the way...and now we have to take a test too?  Bah.

bvamin -- I agree with sfgirl's comments.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Liked: 8
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2005, 09:42:35 AM »
It's not so much the test that bothers me...I'm in favour of a citizenship test, actually.  The cost is what's bothering me....I mean, I know I moved here of my own free will, but I can't help but feel like a cash cow (not a WORD!  >:() sometimes... :-\\\\  I think the recent (HUGE!) increase in the ILR fee is what's really bothering me.

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2005, 10:50:36 AM »
I hear ya Lola...I started this thread...and when I told my hubby about how much it would cost just to get naturalized he is now saying...."oh...well, it can wait" LOL...Its not bad enough that everything costs so much more over here, but they will nickel/dime us to death, I think...could this be the way for cutting down imigrants?

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2005, 11:21:07 AM »
I wish we didn't have to pay as much for citizenship either...if you are working in the Uk and paying taxes i think they shouldn't charge you !!!
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2005, 12:46:43 PM »
Whenever they raise the fees or such, there's a consultation period that happens first.  Consultations are sponsored by the Home Office to assure that what they do is consistent with public sentiment.  Those habitually opposed to increases, like JCWI, educational organizations, and various advisory panels, are INVARIABLY outweighed by those in favor of increases, like for example the airlines, travel industry, political factions, and so on...

• Contraltos do it lower....
    • Forever Autumn
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2005, 05:02:19 PM »

Its not bad enough that everything costs so much more over here, but they will nickel/dime us to death

Correction.  They will 5 pence and 10 pence us to death.

But, yes, I echo Lola's sentiments.  With money being so very tight right now (so tight that I may not be able to go back to the States to see my kids this year :\\\'() I worry about the price of ILR (and Citizenship when I get to that point).  It's not like we have a choice, do we?  We have to pay it if we want to be able to be with our spouses - the people we breathe for.  It's like they are punishing us for falling in love with someone from their country. :(
I was born in the Summer and at Night...my mother named me AUTUMN DAWN.  True story.

Jamie's...beyond the stars and past eternity.

EMAIL or PM me for information about gigs or about booking me (solo gig) or the band.

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2005, 05:29:12 PM »
I stand corrected, but still like the sound of nickel/dime instead..LOL.. ;)

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2005, 07:45:59 PM »
Thanks Helen -- would be interested to hear about others' experiences too (with the US naturalisation process), if they had to pay, etc.  Guess I'm just cheesed off 'cause over here it seems you have to pay through the nose for every step along the way...and now we have to take a test too?  Bah.

We're not ready to get DH naturalized yet.  We've been married for 2 years and he's had a green card for 1 year.  Not counting the $500-$600 we've already paid to get this far, we have to pay $200 next year to renew his green card (the first one is only good for 2 years).  Then if he still want to be a citizen, it's $320 to start the process (2 years from now), plus the test and possibly another set of fingerprints (you have to pay for all that).  He never really wanted to be a citizen until he realized all the jobs he was interested in require US citizenship.

I guess if you do the GBP-USD direct conversion, you guys are getting the short end of the stick.  But at least you had the option of going strait to the Spousal Visa.
Dream a dream of England .......... Some day

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2005, 07:09:07 AM »
Thanks beccaboo.  For the sake of comparison, I've done a little figuring here on our end of things...here's what it will total up for me (based on current fees):

My original fiancee' visa -- £260
Further Leave to Remain (Spouse) -- £335 by post or £500 in person
Indefinite Leave to Remain (after 2 years) -- £335 by post or £500 in person
British naturalisation -- £268

Drum roll please...for a grand total of £1198, if we handle it through the post, or a whopping £1528 if done in person.  At current exchange rates, in dollars -- that's approx $2,185 (by post) or $2,787 (in person).  Somebody over here is getting rich on this, but it sure ain't me! ::)
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

Sponsored Links