Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Being a citizen or not?  (Read 2436 times)

• Liked: 0
Being a citizen or not?
« on: June 20, 2005, 04:08:19 PM »
Its probably on here, but I have missed it....do you HAVE to become a citizen of the UK? I got my leave to remain for an indefinite period in July of 2002.....so does that mean I will have to take that darn test? If so, I am in for it, I hate tests and is the major reason I dont drive over here! LOL...Thanks for any help!

Re: Being a citizen or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 06:08:28 PM »
Of course not!
You can remain on ILR forever, if you like.   :)

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 06:35:01 PM »
Of course not!
You can remain on ILR forever, if you like. :)

Like me.   :)

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 06:44:33 PM »
I have been kicking around getting my dual nationality for a few years but just never really get around to it. Maybe I will do it next year.

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 08:59:34 PM »
Thanks everybody, thats such a relief! LOL....No test to worry about...  ;D

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 10:08:40 PM »
so does that mean I will have to take that darn test? If so, I am in for it, I hate tests and is the major reason I dont drive over here! LOL...Thanks for any help!

What test? If you mean "knowledge of British life" (or whatever they will call it) this is at least months away. If you're eligible now you can apply for BC and only have to prove a working knowledge of the English language which seems straightforward based on your post.

I'd been here for 10 years before I finally decided to become naturalized. In the end though I'm really glad I did because I like the additional flexibility; I'm happy enough here at the moment but now can legally live and work anywhere in the EU.

So, like an ex-smoker I'm now proselytizing about this - get in now if you can because it's only going to get harder and harder to get citizenship.

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 10:25:20 PM »
Thanks Sfgirl...but I might just best stay as I am...do you know this morning I was looking at the news on TV, saw the breaking news that Queen cancelled whatever cause of cold...did my brain think THE Queen...heck no, I was thinking..."did the group Queen get together for something and all got sick" DUH!!! I dont know how long it took before I realized what they meant...my husband of course busted a gut laughing at my ignorance!  ;D

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 10:32:16 PM »
I guess it depends on how mercenary you are. Unlike some people on this board, it never was my heart's desire to get UK citizenship (which is why I dithered about for 6 years) but the advantages are clear. The only disadvantage seems to be the citizenship ceremony and mine turned out to be ok. And I am looking forward to the EU line on my next trip to Italy...

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 11:23:08 PM »
I guess it depends on how mercenary you are. Unlike some people on this board, it never was my heart's desire to get UK citizenship (which is why I dithered about for 6 years) but the advantages are clear. The only disadvantage seems to be the citizenship ceremony and mine turned out to be ok. And I am looking forward to the EU line on my next trip to Italy...

I was here for a long time before getting naturalised.  Not because of EU mobility, which is a nice extra touch; but rather for the political opportunities.  I got naturalised before the language or test came about, and they turned my application around in a breathtaking 21 days - so it doesn't hold up well as an example of what to expect these days... 

I've been to about a dozen citizenship ceremonies tho'.  Got those down pat!

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 11:59:05 PM »
I applied for my citizenship exactly 5 days after my 3 year anniversary  :)
I can see only a few downsides to getting citizenship:
1)  it costs £268 which is a fair bit of money, plus other minor expenses
2)  having to send all your important documents to Liverpool by special delivery, again costs money and potential for lost or going without things like passport, see next comment about local council service
3)  While mostly a good thing, going to a local council to have your documents certified does cost about £30 and requires you to send in a document showing your English language proficiency.  Additionally, you have to take out a day or part of a day for the appointment depending on how far you have to travel (there's 4 places around London and 1 in Newcastle but I think there might be more on the way).
4)  you have to attend a citizenship ceremony which requires you to take out part or all of a day to get there and attend.

I don't see what is the downside to the citizenship ceremony, sfgirl, apart from my reason #4 above?  You say a bunch of pretty much meaningless words, blah, blah, whatever, kneel before Queen, whatever, like I actually mean what I'm saying, "give me naturalization certificate", The End.  What's the fuss?

Ok, forgot one other thing, if you want to travel on it, you need to buy and get a British passport, which I think is perhaps £42.

No need to renew any visas/ILRs.  Can leave Britain for as long a period as you like and instantly return back to the country unhindered.  Can go live and work anywhere in the EU countries.  Can claim any benefits you want (not sure if there's a difference for ILR people?).  Can vote.  Can get any job requiring British citizenship.  Can show off shiny, red passport  :D

To me the Pros far outweigh the Cons.

Do some people not want to get British citizenship because it perhaps erodes your Americanness?  Perhaps other reasons?  It'd be interesting to hear why.

Matt
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 12:33:10 PM »

3)  While mostly a good thing, going to a local council to have your documents certified does cost about £30 and requires you to send in a document showing your English language proficiency.

Hi Matt, What do you mean by the having to go to the local council to get the documents certified? I was reading, printing out  and filling out the forms to send, but I didnt see where it said to do that, did I miss something, or is that after you get the naturalization approved? Thanks  :) Cathy

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 12:35:33 PM »
You only have to get your documents certified if you're not sending the originals... i just bit the bullet and sent the originals when i applied.

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 12:48:20 PM »
Thanks otterpop...that helps alot...I thought I would be sure and send them everything I have even if its not on the list...you never know! LOL... :D

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 02:38:08 PM »
Hi Matt, What do you mean by the having to go to the local council to get the documents certified? I was reading, printing out  and filling out the forms to send, but I didnt see where it said to do that, did I miss something, or is that after you get the naturalization approved?

cfee56, there is no requirement to go to the local councils doing the Nationality Checking Service, it is just a service they will do so you don't have to send in any of your originals.  So, if you mail in your US passport to them (which you should have to do) and it gets lost getting there or back then you will have to apply for a replacement US passport, ie a big hassle.

Also, there is some anecdotal evidence that the Naturalization approval can happen light years faster through the local council than by just mailing it in.  Potentially it can take months through the post but some people I know as well as for my own application it only took 1 week from beginning to end to get approval for citizenship (I went through Brent council).

Depending on where you live you may not be able to easily get to one of the 6 councils that do this,
they are listed below.  Isn't it brilliant that all but one are London area?  Brent told me they get people from Liverpool and Manchester there regularly because they fear being left without their important documents or having them lost in the post.

Brent
Haringey
Hatfield
Newcastle
Ilford
Wandsworth

Matt
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 02:46:17 PM »
Hi Matt,
Wow, thats amazing how fast yours went, and just doesnt make sense that so many are down south....there are loads of us expats up here in the north....I will have to check with Mark to see which way he wants to do this, since he wants it so bad...Many thanks for the info!! Cathy

Sponsored Links