Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: My visa mess  (Read 1391 times)

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
My visa mess
« on: October 27, 2005, 06:36:08 AM »
I wanted to share what's happened with my visa.  I originally came to the UK on a student visa in August 2004.  I finished my studies and started to apply for teaching jobs.  I was hired and my work permit was approved by the HO in Sheffield.  Here's where the fun begins.  Changing status from a student visa to my FLR(IED) was a nightmare.  My application for my FLR(IED) was denied because my university needed to provide proof that I'd successfully completed my MA.  I sent a letter from the uni saying my marks were forthcoming in November and I'd completed all my coursework as the letter from the HO was really vague about what my uni needed to send them. As a result, my application was denied without right of appeal.  Garry was wonderful in helping me sort things out.  Basically, the wording of my letter from the uni wasn't precise enough for the HO (even though the case worker admitted the letter they sent me was worded badly). I had to return to the US and visit the consulate in LA.  I was there today and finally have my FLR(IED) for the next 48 months.  However, even visiting the consulate was difficult because of the prior refusal.  I had to provide every piece of paper I'd gotten from the HO about my refusal AND I was informed that working on my student visa was illegal, something no one had told me and isn't on my student visa. 

So, word to the wise.  Changing status while in country is a royal pain in the ass.  Obviously, this doesn't necessarily apply to people getting married, etc, just those of us who aren't married to a Brit and have other legal reasons for being in the UK.  I was scrutinized like mad and yet a guy sitting next to me had been deported and was given a new visa with seemingly few problems.  People who break the rules make life 10,000 times more difficult for people like me who do everything legitimately.

Special thanks to Garry for his advice and help and to AnneR for talking me off the ledge today as I sat blubbering in the consulate.   :)  I'll be home Sunday.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 06:05:44 PM by Kristi »
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Liked: 0
Re: My visa mess
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 07:27:35 AM »
Kristi, congrats and thanks for sharing your stories. It means a lot for those of us going over for other reasons.

Have a safe flight back.

p.s., how was the LA consulate? I plan to be there in a couple of weeks  :)

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 08:55:57 AM »
Glad to hear it's all sorted out!

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 09:05:44 AM »
Oh....big hugs to you Kristi!!  Let me know when you return and have a few moments to grab a drink or some food.  So sorry that this became such a nightmare!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 09:07:59 AM »
Kristi - 'ritas at Cafe Pacifico when you get back.

And I'm terribly thrilled to find that you WILL be coming back!!! ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 09:09:46 AM »
What a hassle Kristi, at least it is sorted out now.

Just to clarify - what did they mean that working on a student visa is illegal, I thought part time work was ok?

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 09:47:31 AM »
i was wondering where you have been!!

i'm so happy it's sorted!

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 09:57:13 AM »
Sorry to hear all of this!  But glad for you it's all cleared up!  Have a safe trip back.

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 04:13:44 PM »
Kristi,
You've been through the wringer!  :P I'm glad it's all been sorted and I know you look forward to getting back.
"I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 04:22:40 PM »
Unless your student visa was for less than six months or you were specifically told that you could not work, then you were allowed to work for up to 20 hours a week on your student visa.  If you were working in a field which was directly linked to your studies then you may even have been able to work for longer (ie if it was a vocational qualification).  Do be aware that sometimes the people in Embassies are wrong!

The problem with the application was that the rules have changed so that only students who have GRADUATED from UK universities can switch in-country to work permits.  This means that if there is a gap between finishing studies and getting your results, you are screwed.  It is a pathetic rule.

Glad you got it all sorted out.

Victoria

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 05:30:46 PM »

p.s., how was the LA consulate? I plan to be there in a couple of weeks  :)

The LA consulate is on the 12th floor of a big building in downtown LA.  There is parking all around.  The visa area is actually quite small and they interview you through windows, like at a bank.  They'll take all your information, application, etc. and then tell you to come back after 2pm to pick up your passport.  When you come back at 2pm, they give you a ticket with a number (like a coat check) that will match your passport.  You pick it up and leave.  It's quite easy for situations that aren't a mess like mine was.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 05:32:54 PM »
What a hassle Kristi, at least it is sorted out now.

Just to clarify - what did they mean that working on a student visa is illegal, I thought part time work was ok?

My understanding was part time work (less than 20 hours) was ok when taking classes and full time work is ok when not in class.  I finished my course in March but my student visa was valid until December.  Apparently working during that time at the job where a WP had been applied for me was a no-no.  Either that or the consulate lady was wrong!

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 05:40:52 PM »
The problem with the application was that the rules have changed so that only students who have GRADUATED from UK universities can switch in-country to work permits.  This means that if there is a gap between finishing studies and getting your results, you are screwed.  It is a pathetic rule.

It'd be nice if someone had told me that.  I won't have my diploma in-hand until March 06 and my results aren't through until November but I've successfully completed every requirement for my degree.  What was so bothersome was I was made to feel like a criminal or that I was doing something I shouldn't.  It's a very pathetic rule.

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2005, 05:43:33 PM »
Kristi,
Didn't you have a job lined up -- what's going to happen to it?
"I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2005, 05:50:36 PM »
Kristi,
Didn't you have a job lined up -- what's going to happen to it?

I do and I've been working since Sept. 1.  I'll go back to work on Monday.  We're on half-term break right now. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab