Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: PETS Conversations  (Read 3306 times)

• Hi there.
    • Trophy Pet Foods
  • Liked: 0
PETS Conversations
« on: October 24, 2004, 04:36:21 AM »
Help! Does anyone know how long the certificate is valid after the 6 months has passed?? I don't have a date yet for moving to England, but I want to get started on the process just in case. If I'm going to move in 8 months, say, can I get the cert. now or does it expire soon after the 6 months has passed?

Thanks
"I bought some batteries, but they weren't included."-Steven Wright

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
Re: PETS Certificate
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 11:35:26 AM »
I believe it's valid for 90 days after the 6 months.  Check the DEFRA website to be sure. 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Hi there.
    • Trophy Pet Foods
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 03:36:05 PM »
Darned if I could find it on there, but I'll try again. Thanks!

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 03:50:45 PM »
  The actual certificate is valid until your dog's rabies booster is due (ie. 2 or 3 years).  I thought you meant if there was a validity range for entry. 

If you're moving in 8 months, start on the PETS scheme now.  My vet wouldn't do the blood draw until 4 weeks after the rabies vaccine.  He also had to special order a second microchip from AVID and that took about 4 weeks to get.  We started on the process and then I found a friend to keep my dog until I could come over and get settled.  I'm hoping to bring him back after Christmas, if my landlord says ok. 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Hi there.
    • Trophy Pet Foods
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 01:46:15 AM »
Yes, I did mean how long I had to enter the country once the 6 months passed.

• If only the Chunnel went to Norfolk...
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 04:18:25 PM »
The certicate is good until your animal's next rabies booster is due.  If you get the booster in time, then you can get a new certificate issued without another blood test or any wait.  If you miss that due date, then you have to do the blood draw and six month wait again.
Shell (US) and SteveB (UK)

• From Washington to Rochdale and taint going back
    • Girly Girrls Family Pics
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 09:17:41 PM »
Ok...we're wanting to take our 3 cats to the US. How would we go about doing that? Am worried about the flight and such. Our vet told us that they'd have to be microchipped beforehand which I'm fine with, but do they give them anything so that they're calm during the flight? Our 3 try to escape from their cages when we're taking them to the cattery! Any help you could offer would be great! ;D

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 10:14:18 PM »
Any airline you fly your animals on will not allow them to be sedated.  The effect of altitude and the sedative can be lethal (just think about how alcohol can wreck havoc with humans at 35,000 ft).   Are you going from the US to the UK or the other way 'round?

• From Washington to Rochdale and taint going back
    • Girly Girrls Family Pics
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 11:47:34 AM »
Will be going from the UK to the US. East coast. And I kinda figured that they wouldn't have to be sedated, which I'm grateful for!! Am just worried about their nerves now ;) thanks for the info.!

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 11:01:42 PM »
Yes, I did mean how long I had to enter the country once the 6 months passed.

Hi snupy, I've been researching this pretty heavily, and I'm 99% sure that the PETS certificate is valid for either a) when the vaccine expires, or b) 4 months, whichever comes first. Here's a quote from the certificate:

"The certificate is valid for intra-Community movements for a
period of four months from the date of issue or until the date
of expiry of the vaccination shown in part IV, whichever is
earlier."

But I believe it's also true that you can "renew" the certificate simply by updating the rabies vaccine.

Hope that helps!
-emma

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 10:51:40 AM »
Try putting a t-shirt that you've worn and not washed in their carriers.  That helps to calm them.  They'll probably sleep the entire flight as the cargo hold is dark.

I won't be able to bring my dog over after all.  The freeholder's agreement on my flat won't allow it.  My landlord said he didn't care but the rest of the building won't allow it.  :(  I miss my baby...

• my name is jonas
PETS - splitting the quarrantine
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2005, 04:34:20 PM »
First, I don't know if I spelled that right.

I have encountered a small problem.  I will not be able to finish the PETS requirements for my cat before I HAVE to leave.  Is there any way to start with the microchip and take Zoe (my lovely cat) over after only five months and have her in quarrantine for only a month (thus meeting the six month requirement?).  We would be cutting it that close.

Any advice anyone?  She would be unable to travel unaccompanied because she can't drive herself to an approved route departure point.

thanks in advance, trisha
had a bit of a wobble.

Re: PETS - splitting the quarrantine
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 04:00:15 AM »
I don't know the answer to this but I would contact DEFRA directly on this one (08459 33 55 77 or helpline@defra.gsi.gov.uk). I've emailed them several times in the past month and they've sent prompt, helpful answers.

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 03:13:13 PM »
I remember reading on the DEFRA website that your cat will just have to finish the remaining time in quarantine. I have that as well. My two dogs will be ready when we are but my son decided after that he wanted to take his cat and he didnt want to rehome her. so she got started a month later and will have to serve about three weeks in quarantine.
I would not seek the desert, or red palaces.Where reigns the sun, nor sail to magic isles......
For here is heartsease still, and deep content.
The Elves here holy and immortal dwell, and on the stones and trees there lies a spell.       J.R.R. Tolkien

• my name is jonas
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 02:54:56 PM »
yeah, i figured out that poor Zoe will have to spend half her time in jail.  I am worried about her but I am afraid I don't have many options.

Thanks for replying!
had a bit of a wobble.

Sponsored Links