Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Health care costs  (Read 8313 times)

Re: Health care costs
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2002, 05:30:49 AM »
So there are women's clinics?  I was under the impression that your GP did everything.  What does the women's clinics provide and are they everywhere?  I guess because I am used to seeing an OB/GYN I wasn't thrilled at the prospect of having to go to the same doctor if I had an earache or for "female troubles"

Thanks

Kathy

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2003, 10:36:45 PM »
No one in their right mind would presume to say that the NHS is up to the standard it should be. There are problems, shortages of money,  staff,  time.  The attitude of some medics is of lo quality. The whole quality factor varies around the country. A small number of NHS Health Trusts leave a lot to be desired. Others move heaven and earth to treat you properly and cure you.
It's the horror stories that make the front page and headline the TV news progs. From a population of 60 million people, there are huge numbers that get well treated.  
From my experience over the last few years, I've been very happy with the GP and hospital care I've received.
Two hernia operations, both successful and with very good care from both docyors and nurses. All free of charge.
Four years ago I was diagnosed as having Parkinson's Disease, not exactly a fun filled future. Nevertheless, I have been given tremendous treatment and support by my GP, who I see every month, when I get my prescription for the cocktail of medication I need and there is no charge.  My Neurologist I see every 3 months for a review of my situation.  I've had all sorts of scans, blood tests as part of my treatment.  Again no charge. Thank goodness. Of course I've paid into the NHS for 40 or more years. Insurance provided by the State instead of an Insurance Comp.
Now that I can no longer work, I also get benefit money to live on. Most of my housing costs are paid for as are a good proportion of my motoring costs.
So UK or USA system  ?   Well I don't know, I've never used American medical care,  but the UK's NHS is not that bad, but there is room for improvement.
Married with a daughter of 21 years.  Former film/video tape editor, now retired. London born and bred.

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2003, 11:35:40 AM »
NHS vs US healthcare? I'll take the NHS any day!  I just recently (week before Christmas) had a hysterectomy.  It wasn't an emergency, elective and I had been waiting several months for it, but, as it wasn't an emergency so the wait was alright. When I was first offered the surgery I turned it down because I didn't know if my employer would give me the time to have it done (still thinking like an American!), however, they said no, call them back and see if you can still have the place and then plan on having 6 weeks off work (and this is with pay!!!). Fortunately, I work at a gp surgery and their thinking is they would rather we were healthy and able to work.  It was wonderful to go into the hospital and  not sign away my life & first born just to guarantee that i'll pay!  Now, the hospital was state of the art, didn't have a tv or phone in the room, but that wasn't important. The care of the surgeon and staff were wonderful and professional and that was important.  I was sent home with a bag of medication (didn't pay for them) and was told if I needed anything day or night to just call.  

It makes me sad when I think about my parents back home who sometimes have to make decisions about whether they can afford some of their medicine each month, they make $1 over the limit to qualify for state help,,,,this is so very wrong. My husband and I have thought about going back to the states, so we could help them, but again, we couldn't afford it. My hubby also has parkinson's disease and there is no way we could afford his medication/medical treatments. So we stay here and help my folks from this end.  On another note, I had a friend visit a few years ago and when she arrived she realised she had forgotten her asthma meds, so I arranged for her to be seen at my surgery, she offered to pay, they didn't accept her money and gave her a script for all her meds and it cost her less than £20!  So, I'm very thankful for the NHS, sure it isn't great, but it ain't bad either!

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2003, 03:17:33 PM »
So there are women's clinics?  I was under the impression that your GP did everything.  What does the women's clinics provide and are they everywhere?  I guess because I am used to seeing an OB/GYN I wasn't thrilled at the prospect of having to go to the same doctor if I had an earache or for "female troubles"

Thanks

Kathy

Yes there are speciallised female only clinics all around the UK.  Strangely the one nearest to me is also a STD clinic too! Not sure why....  

At our local Doctors, if you have to have a "smear test" there is a qualified female nurse who handles it, as for mother and baby clinics and so on.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2003, 03:18:17 PM by Nefandous »

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2003, 01:07:33 PM »
The beginning of December, my oldest came down with a horrible sore throat.  I called and made an appointment for him for the first day he had off for Winter Break from school.  What a wonderful feeling to just walk in and have him seen without filling out pages of insurance forms - or having to wait until my next payday (ahem - I'm not working, remember!) to get him to the doctor because I didn't have insurance!  And then getting his prescription!  Because he's only 14, it was free.  I almost cried with excitement when I told my mother about picking it up and not having to (1) wait too long for it or (2) pay for it!!

And everyone here already knows my feelings on the FREE BIRTH CONTROL!!

UK v. US health care system?  UK - all the way.  (At least, for me and mine and our situation.)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2003, 01:16:45 AM »
Did u all know if u take a lot of meds u can buy a 'season ticket' as my aunt cals it,,,,,,basically u pay a lump sum every 3.6 or 12 months (i think thats the options) then even as a working adult all your prescriptions are free, its a LOT LOT cheaper to do this if u need lots of stuff, asthma, etc :) if anyone needs more info let me know and il found out the real details:)

• what you talkin bout lewis?
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2003, 04:59:27 PM »
ok...ive got a question for all the depo users.

is the depo here the same as in the states?  other then a little weight gain i had no side effects.  every pill here they put me on either made me sick when i went on it...or after a bit it made me sick. my husbands hates condoms( i think all men hate them and i realy dont blame them). i realy need to get on something. i wont get norplant, i wont use a coil, diaphrams are useless unless you plan in the morning 'oh, i think we will have sex tonight'.

so, im concidering gettting depo. any clues girls?

i could realy use the advice on this one.

btw....just a funny pic for you to immagin...just picture a man...waving a packet of birth control pills about...shouting...your not taking these damn things anymore and throws them in the trash.    NOW thats a sight. i dont think my husband is normal...even tho he was upset cuz they made me sick....but the sight of a man not wanting his wife to take birth control...lol...too funny to me
wann sum chocky chippy cookie dough?

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2003, 01:15:25 AM »
If u look in boots the chemist they do sell something called persona i think its called, i believe it works by testing the hormone levels in urine samples, may not be 100% effective th if a baby is a big no no .....u could take a look tho n see they have a website too its www.wellbeing.com [nofollow]

Sponsored Links