Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: anyone want to discuss British history?  (Read 10567 times)

• Liked: 0
anyone want to discuss British history?
« on: February 20, 2006, 08:31:14 AM »
I am particularly interested in discussing/learning about anything prior to the start of the 20th century, altho I admit only having the roughest knowledge at this stage.
Esp interested in Roman Britain, the "Middle Ages" (anywhere from 400-1066), Norman thru Tudor period and into the Victorian "era"...

I do hope I'll get some replies altho it looks like this is a fairly quiet board...

Thanks

• Liked: 2
Re: anyone want to discuss British history?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 08:57:45 AM »
That's a lot of ground to cover!  Do you have a particular interest, eg social history, political, military, royalty etc?

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 11:32:54 AM »
Norman England is a particular interest of mine!  I'm a big fan of the Plantagenets (so a dyed-in-the-wool Yorkist) and a Ricardian, too!

What sort of stuff are you looking to learn/discuss? I have a whole bunch of good books to recommend, if you're looking for some, or whatever.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 05:29:32 PM by Saf »

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 11:35:36 AM »
I'm in Wales, not England, but am also interested in history. My village has a Normal church and castle. Let the discussion begin!!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 11:49:40 AM »
Anything pre-1747 for me.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 12:47:14 PM »
I have a lot of classes focusing on the Anglo-Saxon side of things this semester, so I might actually have some things to contribute about that time period :)
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 01:51:56 PM »
wow!  here I figured I'd be lucky to get one reply!  ;D
thanks for all the replies!

well I am particularly interested in social/cultural history...things like what would it have been like to live as a woman in a castle/manor house?  I've been to a few castles in the Midlands and I hope to visit many of the Welsh castles as well as places like Bamburgh...

I am interested in the history of religious sites in the UK, esp Glastonbury and Lindisfarne. I was doing some reading and it seems difficult to separate myth/legend from fact on the sites I've found thus far

and as mentioned really interested to learn what life would have been like in Roman Britain...what they ate, the structure of their day

Saf (and all) recommendations for books, websites etc always welcome...

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 01:55:37 PM »
Off the top of my head, the Geis's books, Life in a Medieval Castle, Life in a Medieval Village, Life in a Medival City are good places to start.

I'll have a look at my bookshelf and see what else I come up with.  :)

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 01:59:12 PM »
Off the top of my head, the Geis's books, Life in a Medieval Castle, Life in a Medieval Village, Life in a Medival City are good places to start.

I'll have a look at my bookshelf and see what else I come up with.  :)

would they be generally available at a shop like WH Smith?  we have a large one here in Leicester. Thanks

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 04:49:43 PM »
More reading for you, this one comes in two volumes, although the focus is on Europe rather than just Britain

http://www.us.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/ReligionTheology/~~/cHI9MTAmcGY9MCZzcz1hdXRob3IuYXNjJnNmPWFsbCZzZD1hc2Mmdmlldz11c2EmY2k9MDE5NTEyODM5Nw==

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 05:16:04 PM »
thanks Britwife altho I'm not sure I'll ever get thru a volume of such length! LOL

I have found the BBC History page articles most useful as broad coverage of my variods periods of interest...I highly recommend them to anyone who has not visited previosuly, a good place to start is with the timelines!

I have decided just to start with the earliest period I'm curious about (Neolithic/Bronze Age) and try to learn and discover/discuss from there!
So if anyone has anything to say about that era, by all means...jump in!

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 05:23:40 PM »
thanks Britwife altho I'm not sure I'll ever get thru a volume of such length! LOL

It's not as big as it looks and it's the kind of book you can skip around in. 

• Snaps
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 05:25:20 PM »
Up4tea, is it Radio 4's "This Sceptred Isle" that you're reading online? If so, isn't it great?!? If not ... go check it out immediately!! :D

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 05:27:41 PM »
Up4tea, is it Radio 4's "This Sceptred Isle" that you're reading online? If so, isn't it great?!? If not ... go check it out immediately!! :D
have you got a direct link?  I will search for it...   I have been reading at the BBC site on their history link (go to homepage and look down left of page for links)

• Snaps
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 06:03:27 PM »
have you got a direct link?  I will search for it...   I have been reading at the BBC site on their history link (go to homepage and look down left of page for links)

Here you go:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/sceptred_isle/

Sponsored Links