Hello

Sponsored Links

Poll

How much did your wedding cost?  (in dollars)

Less than $100
10 (10.5%)
Less than $500
14 (14.7%)
Less than $1000
7 (7.4%)
Less than $5000
23 (24.2%)
Less than $10,000
14 (14.7%)
Less than $15, 000
8 (8.4%)
Lesss than $20,000
4 (4.2%)
Less than $30,000
5 (5.3%)
Less than $40,000
2 (2.1%)
Less than $50,000
2 (2.1%)
More than all of those!
6 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Topic: How much did your wedding cost? And poll!  (Read 5526 times)

Re: How much did your wedding cost? And poll!
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2006, 06:26:51 PM »
Our registry office wedding was like £50. But we had a formal reception as well as an evening reception. Everything along with pics and clothes for all of us was about £4000. Not so bad. I didnt have a wedding with the exhusbeast.

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2006, 07:24:28 PM »
My wedding to my ex cost over $40,000 in 1997.  :o We spent way too much, but it was really great, the best part of the marriage, actually. My mom and dad let me have a total dream with everything I wanted and everyone that they wanted to invite. To this day, people still say it was the best party they ever went to! In hindsight, all of the money and all of the stress have nothing to do with a marriage. I don't regret it, but when Peter and I get married it will be very small, very private and very inexpensive.

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2006, 08:07:36 PM »
My parents were kind enough to pay for ours, and I think it was a little less than $10,000.  Which is pretty damn impressive for an L.A. wedding!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 07:10:42 AM »
I fall into the last category for my first wedding. I wouldn't even want to break it down. I don't think I'd know where to start.
My parents were gracious enough to pay for it. Thank God, the divorce was cheaper than that.

I've yet to broach the subject of my second marriage with them, so who knows how much it would cost.
August 2008: Met on Facebook
February 2009: Met face-to-face in London, UK
March 2009 - September 2011: Visits back and forth
January 30, 2012: Married in Vegas
March 19, 2012: Online Application Completed
March 22, 2012: Biometrics, Docs sent (priority)
March 23, 2012: E-mail stating reception of docs
March 26, 2012: VISA ISSUED! :D
May 14, 2012: MOVING TO SHEFFIELD!
March 17, 2014: Passed Life in the UK Test!
June 14, 2014: ILR Approved!

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 09:46:11 AM »
Ours came in at just under 8,000 with the costs being shared evenly between us, my parents, and some random relatives who don't have children and got all excited about a wedding in the family :) (which is why it went up to 8,000--otherwise it would have been more like 2,000$).  We had just under 200 people at the wedding at it was at this amazing 100 yr old hotel on the bay in San Diego.  We spent almost all of our money on food and booze and the location (my dress cost $45, the flowers less than $200, and the cupcakes we had were made by a friend!).  SO MUCH FUN.  We had about 40? people fly over from the UK to be with us and my million Jewish relatives, and then 25 of us went on a tour of Sedona, the Grand Canyon, and Las Vegas after.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 09:48:16 AM »
I fall into the last category for my first wedding. I wouldn't even want to break it down. I don't think I'd know where to start.
My parents were gracious enough to pay for it. Thank God, the divorce was cheaper than that.

I've yet to broach the subject of my second marriage with them, so who knows how much it would cost.

I was also fortunate enough to have parents who paid for my wedding. But, speaking as someone who's only been married once, I don't think I'd ever expect them to do it a second time.  :-\\\\
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 3
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 10:07:37 AM »
We spent about $9000 and I was pretty happy with that. I think the short planning time and the fact that I wasn't in the country during the planning period helped to save on costs. I had to make decisions quickly and it left little opportunity to be tempted to spend more! Most of the money was spent on the location, food, and the photographer, which were the three things I refused to skimp on. My parents gave us some money towards it, but we (and by we, I mean my husband) paid for most of it. He didn't feel comfortable taking money from them and in fact, they offered us more and we refused it. We told them to use it towards a trip over to Ireland!  :D

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2010, 10:10:05 AM »
Less than $100 if you don't count the honeymoon, which we didn't go on for 4 years.

JOP-$25
Supermarket bouquet-$5
New stockings (something new)-$3
Bus tickets for 3-less than $3
Wedding brunch stuff less than $10
Our friends threw a wedding BBQ for about 10 people that evening.  I am sure even if you factored in the rings and that, it wouldn't hit $100.  It was still a wonderful, beautiful day.  I totally understand the big budget weddings, but I don't think that it's for us.  Even when we renew our vows (if we do it at 10 or 15 years), we don't plan on going too overboard, although we are hoping for a bigger budget than what we had.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2010, 10:25:13 AM »
I am as amazed by these super-low-budget weddings as I am by the super expensive ones!  We went to Vegas, so we definitely couldn't have done it for less than $100 (the license alone was $55) but I don't think we spent more than $3000, including the wedding package (which included chapel, ceremony, flowers, photographer, and transport to/from), our hotel in Vegas, our plane tickets, pictures, dress, DH's suit, rings, and honeymoon.  My mom made my dress, but the fabric was gorgeous and we used a lot, so it cost about $300.  Oh, our rings were pretty expensive, we splurged on those.  Maybe $4000?  Is it bad that I don't know how much my wedding cost?     
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2010, 10:44:07 AM »
I always think of Vegas as the place where couples elope (I guess I watch too many crappy sitcoms) and therefore think of it as a place for cheap, quickie weddings.

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2010, 10:57:05 AM »
My first wedding was not expensive --a couple thousand, maybe?  A friend made my dress (the fabric wasn't too expensive, can't remember how much, plus I gave the friend a couple hundred dollars as a thank you (she wasn't expecting it).  We got a discount from our friend who ran a Govinda's restaurant (associated with the local Hare Krsna temple), don't remember how much it all cost, but basically he didn't make any profit on it.  Our friends did the serve out of the food for free.  We had a co-efficiated wedding, the rabbi cost a couple hundred, the Hare Krsna priest cost nothing.  The music was all free provided by my music teacher and her husband, plus my ex's Hare Krsna friends' bhajan (sp?) band.  I made my own chuppa (Jewish thing you get married under), etc. etc.

My now hubby's and my wedding cost maybe 500 pounds.  My outfit (no dress, just a pretty skirt and top) and shoes were about 200 pounds, his suit about 100.  MIL paid for the buffet--about 200 pounds, and the cake (it was very small, not expensive).  We got married in the registrar's office (forget how much--inexpensive).  We had maybe 40 people altogether attending / eating.

Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2010, 11:04:44 AM »
I always think of Vegas as the place where couples elope (I guess I watch too many crappy sitcoms) and therefore think of it as a place for cheap, quickie weddings.

That's exactly what I thought before we started researching it.  I thought it was only good for some tacky, neon, Elvis-officiated, drive-thru thing.  But in fact, there's a huge wedding industry in Vegas, and you can have a really nice wedding there.  The chapel we went to, The Chapel of the Flowers, was really pretty and the people there were lovely, very professional.  Not a sequin in sight.  My opinion of getting married in Vegas has completely altered.  Yes, it is possible to get married there on the cheap (though the license is $55 for everyone) but it's also possible to have a beautiful, elegant wedding there.  I really resisted the idea of going there when DH suggested it, but now I'm so glad we did.  It was ideal for us and I wouldn't change a thing about our wedding. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 2
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2010, 11:06:20 AM »
I was also fortunate enough to have parents who paid for my wedding. But, speaking as someone who's only been married once, I don't think I'd ever expect them to do it a second time.  :-\\\\

Unless they picked out the first husband! Then I would expect them to pay for the divorce and any subsequent wedding!  ;D

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2010, 12:01:27 PM »
I might be off on the JOP.  I seem to remember it being cheaper (at least in the fee to City Hall) if we had someone else perform the wedding.  Either the licence was $15 at the time and we spent an extra $10 on the JOP at City Hall, or the licence was $25 and we actually spent a total of $35 on the service. (Edit: this was over 8 years ago, and the fees appear to have increased).

I guess New York is a relatively inexpensive place to get married.  I know at one point they were going to do away with the waiting period so more people would get married at Niagara Falls and New York City.  If that happened, I imagine the fees would go up just to maximize the revenue.  I am sure that is why it's more expensive in Vegas.  They probably figure the point where it becomes off putting to people who come for the Elvis impersonator weddings, but high enough that they charge all they can for the volume of weddings they get.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:07:08 PM by Legs Akimbo »

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2010, 12:11:54 PM »
Unless they picked out the first husband! Then I would expect them to pay for the divorce and any subsequent wedding!  ;D

Right!? My dad's philosophy is 1 car, 1 degree, 1 wedding. That's what we each got. Anything above and beyond we paid for.  ;)

Sponsored Links