Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do I need my birth certificate to apply for the spousal visa?  (Read 1052 times)

• Liked: 0
 I think I read somewhere that I should include my birth certificate in with my spousal visa but on the British Embassy website it doesn't mention providing the US citizen's birth certificate. I can't find mine at the moment, so if I do need it I will have to send off for a new one  ::) I seem very unprepared for this whole thing huh  ::)
Juls xx

Arrived in the UK on spousal visa: 19/08/06
Posted ILR Application 23/7/08
ILR app arrival at UKIBA & Fee Taken: 24/7/08
ILR issued: 29/8/08
ILR arrived here: 03/09/08

Re: Do I need my birth certificate to apply for the spousal visa?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 12:43:38 AM »
I would reccommend it . The websites give you basic "blueprints" as to what to bring to the embassy. when you make your appointment they want you to bring all supporting documents to the questions you answered.
Im freaking out just the same. Bring more than what is asked ive heard that they want to see more than what is asked sometimes. Pictures, certificates, emails and letters.

Hope this finds you well

Caroline  ;D

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 12:58:41 AM »
I don't think I have ever sent a birth certificate along with an application...so if you can't find it, it won't be a problem if you have your passport.

Vicky

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 02:55:46 AM »
This is from the UKVisas website guidance for Husbands, Wives and Partners.   It definitely requests both the applicant's and sponsor's birth certificate.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1018721067257#Q12
What supporting documents should I include with my application?
You should include all the documents you can to show that you qualify for entry as a husband, wife or partner. If you do not, we may refuse your application.

As a guide, you should include:

* your birth certificate
    * your marriage certificate (if you are married) or your civil partnership certificate (if you have registered a civil partnership)
    * your sponsor’s birth certificate
    * recent statements or letters from your sponsor’s UK employer, bank, local authority or building society to show what support and accommodation will be available for you in the UK
    * letters from you and your sponsor that are relevant to your application
    * if you have been married or in a civil partnership before, one of the following documents:
          o a divorce certificate
          o a final dissolution order, or
          o your husband's, wife's or civil partner's death certificate
    * evidence that your sponsor is settled in the UK. (This can be a copy of their passport or registration certificate that has been confirmed as a true copy, in other words certified.)

• Banned

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 11:07:38 AM »
Yes, I know, strange isn't it?  I think that because I always send the passport, or a certified copy of it, they just don't care about the birth certificate.  I guess if you were sending other evidence of the sponsor's residence in the UK then the passport would be essential. 

They only started asking for birth certificates a few months ago, so it may just be that the consulates haven't caught up.  However, it should be noted that these are just guidelines, and if the requirements as per the rules are met without the birth certificate being supplied, it would be unlawful for them to refuse the application.

I stand by my initial statement - if it is a major hassle to find it or get hold of a copy, don't worry about it.

Vicky

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 12:45:05 PM »
Well...looks like it would take up to 20 business days to get my birth certificate in the mail, so if I don't the one my parents had then I probably won't send it. Should I send in my husbands? He at least has his lol
Juls xx

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 01:14:16 PM »
I would think so long as you're able to provide both passports, the birth certificate shouldn't be necessary. I've got hubby's passport and his birth cert (though not long form) and I'm only sending in his passport - It clearly states that he's a British Citizen.

Hope that helps! :)

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 01:39:43 PM »
Yup, that's what I thought too... I wish they'd give us an actual list of things we need instead of 'guidelines'  ::)
Juls xx

• My blog!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 01:51:28 PM »
They only started asking for birth certificates a few months ago, so it may just be that the consulates haven't caught up.

Oh great, another fricking moving target...  Well, another thing to add to my list of silly documents to make sure I have readily available.  I mean sheesh, I would assume in most countries that a birth certificate would be easier to "fake" then a passport anyways, so I don't know why they would want it.  Yes, I need to prove I was born... don't want anyone mistaking that I was actually born.  It is like some strange sort of Monty Pythons skit gone horribly wrong.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 02:25:26 PM »
Yup, that's what I thought too... I wish they'd give us an actual list of things we need instead of 'guidelines'  ::)

That would make it too easy for us. ::)

• Married March 21,2005!!!
    • My Myspace page
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 02:32:41 AM »
If you have a passport y ou are good to go! HONESTLY. I brought mine just because but they didn't bat an eyleash at that.
 You'll be fine :)
 dont freak. its hard not to right now. but DONT FREAK!
Married to the most wonderful man in the world. Patrick Mulcrone. March 21,2005.  :) Temporarily back in the USA! Missing him! If you need advice I am here for you!

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 03:43:18 AM »
Trying not to freak  :P

I looks like we won't have the other documents ready until my birth certificate is here anyway so I'll probably include it if I can, if not then I'll go without it and hope for the best  ;)
Juls xx

• Married March 21,2005!!!
    • My Myspace page
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 04:49:35 PM »
you do know that you can reschedule the apointment if need be :)
Married to the most wonderful man in the world. Patrick Mulcrone. March 21,2005.  :) Temporarily back in the USA! Missing him! If you need advice I am here for you!

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 07:10:59 PM »
Are you sure you can re-schedule??

if so, please let me know how!

Me and my wife have our appointment on the 27th on july at the LA consulate.
im in the US with her for the appointment, but we are still waiting on documents to be sent from scotland.
(letter from my employer, recent bank statements showing im out of overdraft)

i only have 2 bank statements for myself (both overdrawn), although all our funds ($2,000) are in her bank account and she has more than 3 statments.

i can still prove i have a job to go back to, that we can live at my mothers home, and everything else on the list.

all im worried about is not having enough statements!

thanks!!

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 07:14:59 PM »
I didn't know that you could re-schedule...maybe call them and explain the circumstances? I'm doing mine by mail anyway so it doesn't matter much to me.
Juls xx

Sponsored Links