Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 410831 times)

• Liked: 1892
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #8415 on: January 07, 2022, 05:33:27 PM »
4.  Going to see Monster Trucks at the O2 on Sunday evening.  The kids don't know. 
  OH MY GOD!  I want to go so bad but I can't get anyone to go with me.  Even my boy is so grown up now he can't be bothered with stuff like this.  I watched the video and all the kids are wearing ear defenders!  Please don't do that to your kids.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #8416 on: January 07, 2022, 05:43:45 PM »
  OH MY GOD!  I want to go so bad but I can't get anyone to go with me.  Even my boy is so grown up now he can't be bothered with stuff like this.  I watched the video and all the kids are wearing ear defenders!  Please don't do that to your kids.

Oh man, if only I had known. I literally booked it today. You would have been welcome! 

Actually, I genuinely think it was a row empty so you could join us!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #8417 on: January 07, 2022, 06:58:43 PM »

Monster Trucks sounds like so much fun!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #8418 on: January 08, 2022, 11:13:37 AM »
Oh man, if only I had known. I literally booked it today. You would have been welcome! 

Actually, I genuinely think it was a row empty so you could join us!
  That's really nice of you!  Too bad I am taking my daughter back to Bristol so she can continue school.  I have to drive becuase she's go so much stuff, including a computer she brought home so she could do some work on, but I never saw anything.

Somehow my email has weirdly been listed with her Apple pay so I keep getting receipts through email of all the stuff she buys at Wetherspoons.  WTF?  As far as I can tell, I am not being charged for all this but what has become of the world?   If I had somehow sent my parents a reciept for the beer I drank when I was 18 I would have been sent to military school!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #8419 on: January 14, 2022, 09:56:31 AM »
Happy Friday!

1.) Week has gone okay, so that's good!  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

2.) Freezer needs defrosted  :-\\\\

3.) Gardening, getting ready for the spring season  [smiley=daisy.gif]

4.) Itching to travel, watching for some deals, considering different things for Covid. But my feet are itchy itchy!  [smiley=inquisitive.gif]

5.) Need to drop off lots of stuff to charity shops.  Decluttering and cleanouts galore.  [smiley=bulb.gif]
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #8420 on: January 14, 2022, 10:09:23 AM »
Friyay!

1.  Nothing happened on the build this week.  All the steels were done last week but been a wait for scaffolding.  They are planning to set it up this weekend, which needs to happen due to brickies back on Monday!

2.  Had a "Christmas meal out" with friends last night that had to be postponed due to 2 having covid in their homes.  Was a great catchup.

3.  Yesterday, I randomly discovered you can hire diamond jewelery for the day.  I'm DYING to do it for our 10th anniversary this year.  A girlfriend knew exactly how to get my husband on board.  ONLY hire the diamonds.  And have nothing else on.   ;D  I showed him some of the websites when I got home, told him what they suggested and he now wants me to hire ALL the diamond ALL the time.  HA HA!!!  TMI, but hey, it would be super fun to wear some of these pieces!

4.  We ordered meals from Cook this past week and they went down a treat.  An expensive solution for the "no kitchen" situation but with kids activities, work, etc., it's nice to have them in the freezer.  Plus changes things up a bit. 

5.  Man with a van arrives in 2 hours (hopefully) and we are putting things into storage.  We currently have a sofa turned vertically on it's side and lots of boxes of kitchen crap.  Plus can get the bicycles (which are making access to the shed impossible) out of the way, etc.  I'm looking forward to getthing these items out of the house!

BONUS:  My kittens are awesome.  They are getting HUGE.  We may put their two REDIC cat trees into storage as they love to sleep in them too much.  We need them to know their proper place ON OUR LAPS.  ;D  They just adore each other.  They travel in twos.  Where one is, the other is.  So sweet.  They pretty well sleep in a pile. 

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #8421 on: January 14, 2022, 10:35:03 AM »
My Friday Five:

1. 3 colleagues have tested positive in the last week (there are only about 16 of us total working across 3 stations) which meant I had to work one night shift at a different office this week and I also had to work an extra night shift at that same office (which meant giving up a day of leave to cover it).

2. I wasn’t able to take a break on either night shift, so as of yesterday evening, I had only gotten 5 hours of sleep in 2.5 days. As a result, I slept  12.5 hours last night - the most sleep I’ve had in one go in probably 20 years!

3. Not sure if anyone has heard of it, but I started watching Yellowjackets last week (it’s a Showtime show airing on Sky Atlantic in the UK)… it’s really good but rather creepy/suspenseful, and the third episode really freaked me out… I watched it before working a night shift at home, and the whole night I couldn’t make myself go into the kitchen because I have no blinds/curtains on the windows and it was pitch black outside… so by the end of the night, I’d decided it was finally time (after almost 6 years in my house) to order some blinds for the windows in there!

4.  Only 7 weeks until I fly out to Ascension for approx 4 months - can’t wait for the hot weather and lack of Covid again!

5. It also means I only have 7 weeks to lose about another 10 lbs. I’ve already lost around 12 lbs since the beginning of November (by cutting out snacks and eating lower-calorie meals) and exercising when I can, so fingers crossed .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #8422 on: January 14, 2022, 10:55:29 AM »
Ooo, I'll have to check out Yellowjackets.

If you have Netflix - Stay Close is really good! 

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #8423 on: January 14, 2022, 12:28:22 PM »
KF, we just binged Stay Close, as well as two other Harlan Coben series.  They seem to have recurring themes of interconnected secrets and a general "Scooby Doo" big reveal nature to them, and they're fun.  My favourite aspect is the set-in-the-UK Americanisms (like the reference to "high school" in The Stranger)... I keep asking my husband if things are really British, and he's like, "not reeeeeally, no.  But they probably did that to make it easier for US and UK audiences to relate."

Also, KF, I'm so intrigued by the hiring of diamonds,as conceived by your friend.  I'm not going to do it (pandemic, how would I, and I would never feel good about being responsible for things that could cost our renovation savings to replace),  but I love the idea!  I'm not sure that is what would do it for my husband, anyway.  But it's a fun idea.

Ksand, I envy you your upcoming remote work!  Not just for the weather... a place where Covid isn't the risk that it is here sounds so lovely.

My five:

1.  I have revisited wholegrain bread this week after several historical failures.  My first attempt was over-hydrated and came out dense and doughy.   My second attempt is much much better (but still a bit dense).  I'm getting closer, though.  The River Cottage guy said white bread would be tricky, but I can make that all week long.  I'm not sure why I struggle so much with wholegrain.

2.  Wordle.

3.  Sorry for #2.  I don't think my husband will ever forgive me for showing it to him.  I hope you guys will.

4.  We ordered coffee last Monday.  My roaster shipped it the next day.  My postman delivered it yesterday afternoon -- 9 days later!  Even though I ordered a bit earlier than usual because of the holidays, we did not have enough reserves to last this unprecedented span of shipping time.  I also stopped drinking Coke rather randomly right after New Year's Day (before that, I'd significantly reduced the amount I was drinking, but after I finished the last open bottle, I just didn't open another one, and now I'm not buying more).  So I went completely without caffeine for several days this week.  I thought I was dying. (Not really, but it was hard).

5.  When the coffee arrived yesterday afternoon, we promptly made ourselves our usual double espressos, which we would usually consume in the morning, before 11am.  Last night, I fell asleep just fine, as I typically do.  But when I woke needing to wee, I discovered my husband on his phone shopping birdseed/feed on the RSPB website... at half-two in the morning.  He bought three different kinds.  And he signed up for the bird watch, even though I'm already signed up.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 12:33:29 PM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #8424 on: January 14, 2022, 12:59:34 PM »
JFKimberly , I just don't get wordle. I don't like it.  Too much effort ,too much like school.   :-\\\\ :\\\'(
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #8425 on: January 14, 2022, 01:02:07 PM »
KF, we just binged Stay Close, as well as two other Harlan Coben series.  They seem to have recurring themes of interconnected secrets and a general "Scooby Doo" big reveal nature to them, and they're fun.  My favourite aspect is the set-in-the-UK Americanisms (like the reference to "high school" in The Stranger)... I keep asking my husband if things are really British, and he's like, "not reeeeeally, no.  But they probably did that to make it easier for US and UK audiences to relate."

Ooo, I'll have to check out Yellowjackets.

If you have Netflix - Stay Close is really good! 

I'll put Stay Close on my list :).

Yellowjackets is kind of a Lost/Lord of the Flies/psychological horror/teen coming-of-age show - it follows a US girls' soccer team whose plane crashed in the Ontario wilderness while flying to the national championships in 1996, and explores how they survived... but the story is told in two timelines: the survivors as 40-something adults in 2021 (Melanie Lynskey, Juliet Lewis, Christina Ricci), and flashbacks to what happened to them in 1996.

Ksand, I envy you your upcoming remote work!  Not just for the weather... a place where Covid isn't the risk that it is here sounds so lovely.

I can't wait :). I have to do 8 days quarantine when I get there (not too much of a hardship given that it's 30 degrees every day and I can sunbathe, plus there's gym equipment, a barbecue and a pizza oven), and then it's pretty much life as normal.

There have been no community Covid cases on the island, and there have only been a handful of positive cases over the last 2 years from people who had just arrived on island and were already in quarantine at the time.

« Reply #8426 on: January 14, 2022, 02:12:16 PM »
JFKimberly , I just don't get wordle. I don't like it.  Too much effort ,too much like school.   :-\\\\ :\\\'(

My husband feels pretty much the same, I think.   He hates it (but he still plays to indulge me).  Plus, one of the recent words was an American spelling of the word and it took him nearly all day of pondering before he thought of it, so he's mad about that.  I love puzzle and codebreaker type games, so this one really appeals to me, but I get that it's not everybody's cup of tea.

Ksand, it sounds perfect.  Enjoy it when the time comes!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #8427 on: January 14, 2022, 02:23:45 PM »
Probably an ideal thing for someone in MENSA  ;)

I'm an engineer, so I enjoy solving complicated problems, but my problems involve things that go together, science and mathematics, not words! LOL
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 02:26:13 PM by phatbeetle »
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #8428 on: January 14, 2022, 02:30:24 PM »
Probably an ideal thing for someone in MENSA  ;)

I'm an engineer, so I enjoy solving complicated problems, but my problems involve things that go together, science and mathematics, not words! LOL

Ha ha!  My daughter and I spent an entire 30 minute car journey last night talking about math. 

We saw 4 cars broken down (all some type of wreck!) on our way to diving.  On the way back, as we passed each site, we would work out what fraction, percentage, etc., of cars had been cleared and if the future cars were remaining what those fractions and percentages would be.  And reducing percentages.  LOL  We are such nerds and I love it.  ;D

I've been tempted to hide any posts on my FB that mention wordle.  Glad people are having fun.  I don't need a picture of your lunch or your wordle score.  Yes, I realise people don't want pictures of my cats and kids.  ;D

« Reply #8429 on: January 14, 2022, 03:34:55 PM »
I've been tempted to hide any posts on my FB that mention wordle.  Glad people are having fun.  I don't need a picture of your lunch or your wordle score.  Yes, I realise people don't want pictures of my cats and kids.  ;D

I do post my score each day for my friends (mostly one person) who are playing, too, but I keep it in a single thread.  Hide that thread.  I totally won't be offended.  I won't even know you did it.

Maths... I love that, too.  I basically love any puzzle.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab