Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Why do *you* hate Starbucks?  (Read 14907 times)

Why do *you* hate Starbucks?
« on: July 20, 2008, 05:16:55 PM »
I hate them because their prices are extortionate.

I also hate them because when you order a cappuccino, it should NOT come in a mug, and be half coffee and half disgusting foam.
(If that's your idea of a cappuccino, then you need to get yourself to Italy as soon as possible, for a lesson in great coffee!  ;)  )

And I hate them because after i paid their stupidly expensive price, for a crap excuse for a cappuccino, and took 2 sips of it... i nipped off to the toilet.  I was gone about 2 or 3 minutes, and when i returned, i discovered they had removed my over-priced, terrible coffee from the table and chucked it out.  It was 3/4 full, and still hot!   Could the bastards not have left it there for a couple of minutes longer to see if *maybe* the customer was returning?   

• Liked: 0
Re: Why do *you* hate Starbucks?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 05:22:55 PM »
I hope you complained and got another one!

I only drink soy, so when they have a special drink on (for example, a gingerbread latte) I have to pay extra for the soy and still pay for the whipped cream which I don't drink (they say they can't just charge for the flavour shot)!!!  That really grates me.

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 05:24:53 PM »
I hate them because if you order a latte, not only is it exorbitantly expensive, but it tastes like coffee flavoured warm milk, unless you order the obligatory, added expense, extra shot of espresso.  Also, unless you order it extra hot, it is served mildly warm.  

I only go to starbucks at Christmas time when they have egg nogg lattes on the menu.  Then I'll order the latte, extra shot and extra hot, just to get my egg nogg fix.

Their coffee just isn't that good that i'll pay to drink it more than a few times at Christmas.
Riding the rollercoaster of life without a seat belt!

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 05:31:03 PM »
I detest Starbucks because even with extra shots of espresso, their cappuccinos are still weak!  Long live Pret-a-Manger
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 05:32:36 PM »
I hate them because they drive lovely little neighbourhood coffee shops out of business. I've never had anything from a Starbucks (and never will), so I can't comment on how good or bad their coffee is. I just hate them from an ethical standpoint. Providence (RI) used to have tons of gorgeous independent coffee shops, but Starbucks just came in (a la WalMart - which I also hate - but that's for another thread), put a shop on every block (or so it seemed) and drove them out. There are still a few indie coffee places left, but not nearly as many as there used to be. And what's interesting about Starbucks? Seriously. They're all the same. Ugh. Boring.

DOWN WITH IDENTI-SHOPS! LONG LIVE THE INDEPENDENTS!

I HATE STARBUCKS SO MUCH IT HURTS.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 05:43:25 PM »
They're a rip off.

If I have to go in one, and that's next to never because there's not a single one for a good 50 miles, thank f*&£, I always order the coffee of the day.  I never buy the specialty drinks anymore because they are such a scam.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 05:48:54 PM »
There's not much I want at Starbucks, although my daughter likes their caramel Frappachinos.  Eleven Starbucks in Houston are closing, and I think I read that 600 in total are closing in the U.S.

• Snaps
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 05:49:50 PM »
I think I read that 600 in total are closing in the U.S.

Good.  >:(

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 05:53:08 PM »
That would have pi$$ed me off if they threw my hot coffee away!!

Their coffee is cr*p and they are a pretty shady business in general.  We have some fantastic neighborhood coffee shops so no need to hit up a Starbucks.

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 05:54:37 PM »
I hate them because I went on a trip to New Orleans to rebuild homes with a group of people and I swear we stopped at every starbucks between Memphis and New Orleans. So then we had to also make bathroom breaks about once an hour.  ::) There were about 15 people in the group, and all but three of us got one at every stop. Plus they would stop on the way to the construction sight, take breaks to go get more for everyone, and stop on our way back to where we were staying.

So lets say 12 people, getting starbucks 4 times on the way to New Orleans and 4 time on the way back to Memphis = 96 cups of Starbucks drinks

PLUS at least 3 trips for six days while working = 216 cups of coffee

So 312 cups of starbucks in one week.  :o :-X Each drink probably cost about $4.

That's over $1,200 spent on coffee while we are rebuilding homes for people who have lost everything. Why not just bring a coffee maker? What else could that $1,200 been spent on to help people?   :-\\\\

We were very late to the place we were volunteering three times because of their coffee runs.  ::)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 05:56:13 PM by ImissEngland »
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 05:56:10 PM »
I don't drink coffee, and their chai ain't all that. But I do have to admit that one of the few things I could eat/drink after I had Sammy and was out of ICU was their chocolate frappuccino. I guess because it was close to an American milk shake.

I don't want to totally go off topic, but what do you Starbucks haters think of the other chains (Costa, etc)? Are they equally evil?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 05:59:52 PM »
For me it's a budget thing. I've paid off my credit card. Now I'm paying off hospital bills, then student loans like crazy.

Starbucks charges way too much for what they provide. I see friends who are up to their eyeballs in debt charging a cup of coffee to their credit cards.

I use to go to Baskin Robbins and Bruster's a few times a week. But then I figured out I could buy a 1/2 gallon of nice ice cream and a box of cones for what I was paying for one waffle cone!  :P
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 06:04:38 PM »
I think Costa's coffee tastes better, but the price is still a bit high.

At my work, it's a choice of vile vending machine coffee (free) or Starbucks... so i go to Starbucks almost every day.   The only good thing about the Starbucks at my work is that it is subsidised by the Bank, so everything is about half the price it is in a High Street Starbucks shop.   And the boys that work there are our contractors, so they throw in extra shots, etc for free.

Wish we had a Caffe Nero instead, though... they have nice tasting coffee, and their cappuccino, IIRC, is in a small cup, with CREMA *not* FOAM!   >:(

(The Starbucks i was in this morning was a high street one, not my work one... NEVER AGAIN!!!)

• Snaps
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 06:06:29 PM »
I don't want to totally go off topic, but what do you Starbucks haters think of the other chains (Costa, etc)? Are they equally evil?

Hate them too!! EVIL! EVIL! EVIL!

I don't mind if they're at the services along the motorway when there are no other options, but they don't belong in my world anywhere else!  :P

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 06:13:07 PM »
I hope you complained and got another one!

I did complain, and the boy started to make another one for me, but i told him to forget it.  I didn't want to stay in their soul-less shop one minute longer.  I only went in there cos i was a bit early for where i was going, and it was raining, and i thought, I'll just sit and read a paper... i was thinking there'd be free newspapers lying on the tables.   When i'd scraped together the change to pay for the coffee, and sat down with my cup of foam, i realised there were no newspapers.

Sponsored Links