Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I hate my house  (Read 3199 times)

• Liked: 0
I hate my house
« on: December 18, 2008, 04:23:57 PM »
Just want to moan!  Hope that's okay?

We live in a back-to-back terraced house in an old mill town.  I think the house is 200 years old.  I also secretly think it hasn't been updated for 200 years!  I shouldn't really complain, because the rent is very cheap which we hope will help with our budget for the visa, but as soon as I can work we are getting out of here and back to the city! 

One problem is the heat.  The house is heated by storage heaters that have bricks in them (?) and they heat up during the night when it's cheap and then release slowly througput the day.  There is a large one in the living room and 2 small ones in the 2 bedrooms.  The living room one is the only one that works, and even then it is still very cold.  Upstairs it is like Greenland.  You can see your breath while you're laying in bed, and we sleep fully clothed with hats on.  We called the landlord to get the electrician out, and he came and fixed it once, but two days later the top ones stopped working again. We called again and they are too busy to come before Christmas, so the landlord asked my husband if he could ask an electrically minded friend to fix them (!) - she said they don't have to be Corgi registered because it's not gas-related. 

The hot water comes from a big boiler and you have to heat it up 2 hours before a bath or dishes.  There is no shower and I am so sick of baths - my long hair is ruined from rinsing in soapy bath water because after filling the tub halfway there is no more hot water to even fill a pirtcher to rinse!!  And how do you wash your hands in a sink with two faucets on opposite sides - one boiling and one freezing?  I fill up the sink, get my hands wet, soap them, rinse them, drain and then fill the sink to rinse again.    Dishes are another nightmare with a single sink; I usually drain and re-fill the sink three or four times to do a load because the sink fills to overflowing when I rinse the dishes under the tap. 

Washing clothes - another nightmare!  I have to tie the drain hose from the washer to the faucet in the kitchen sink so that it doesn't fly out and flood the kitchen (which it did once).  After washing I try as hard as possible to get all the water out of the hose but inevitably it will only all come out after I accidentally drop it on the floor!  And then, I hang about half of the clothes on the rack in front of the one working heater in the living room.  That's all that will fit.  The rest I drape on chairs and the table and the couch.  (lovely)  They take about 3 days to dry and then are as stiff as boards!!  We have no closets or wardrobes, just one dresser  that we got from a friend, so most of our clothes stay folded in our suitcases! 

The tv aerial is upstairs in our bedroom, none down here, so must endure Greenland to watch telly.  Only working phone jack is downstairs, so if watching telly do not hear the phone.  Toilet has just busted (will not flush!) and don't have a clue when landlord will fix that!  To top it off we live in the middle of nowhere and DH works long hours.  I am stuck in the 1800s up here! 

Sorry all - just wanted to have a good ol' moan!!!!  I do know it could be a lot worse!  I just can't wait till I get my visa and start working - we will be back to Manchester asap and have a nice modern flat with a combi-boiler, electric shower and a tumble dryer!!!
Sep 2004 - Met online
Apr 2006 - Met IRL
27 Oct 2006 - Married in US
23 Sep 2009 - Spouse and dependent visas issued
30 Sep 2009 - Arrived in the UK!
20 Oct 2011 - Sent ILR application
12 Jan 2012 - Discretionary Limited Leave to Remain issued

• Liked: 36
Re: I hate my house
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 04:46:48 PM »
Hiya,

sounds like utter crap to me!  also sounds like a bad studenty type place and dam, i remember renting similar and worse places than you describe when I was 'oop naarth' for university!

but also, why did you rent this place knowing it was as bad as this ?! surely you checked it over first?!

moving on and I understand situations are situations - but, the landlord is legally obliged to provide a safe and hospitable environment. Storage heaters work well when they operate correctly ( I rent my flat with them in and absolutley no issues at all) - demand you're landlord fixes them as per the contract you signed!

Also, no worries for havin a moan!!  just think of the luxury when you get a nice lovely place to live !!!

cheers! DtM! West London & Slough UK!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 04:57:07 PM »
We called again and they are too busy to come before Christmas, so the landlord asked my husband if he could ask an electrically minded friend to fix them (!) - she said they don't have to be Corgi registered because it's not gas-related. 

You need to get that repaired! If it were me, I'd phone the landlord and let him know that you'll be contacting an electrician to come over ASAP and have the bill sent to him (the landlord). Then start going through the Yellow Pages and find an electrician!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 05:02:20 PM »
Hiya,

sounds like utter crap to me!  also sounds like a bad studenty type place and dam, i remember renting similar and worse places than you describe when I was 'oop naarth' for university!

but also, why did you rent this place knowing it was as bad as this ?! surely you checked it over first?!

moving on and I understand situations are situations - but, the landlord is legally obliged to provide a safe and hospitable environment. Storage heaters work well when they operate correctly ( I rent my flat with them in and absolutley no issues at all) - demand you're landlord fixes them as per the contract you signed!

Also, no worries for havin a moan!!  just think of the luxury when you get a nice lovely place to live !!!

cheers! DtM! West London & Slough UK!

Ha ha - believe it or not, it's 20 or so miles from Manchester and the nearest uni.  They're all like that up here - tiny places with old- fashioned appliances (if boilers and heaters count as appliances).  When we moved up here we were looking for places at around £350/mo (yes, we're that broke!) There were two - and this was the better of them, believe it or not!!  For some reason the council tax is outrageous up here - £125 a month?  Cheaper in Salford and I know they use more council services down there!
Sep 2004 - Met online
Apr 2006 - Met IRL

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 05:04:04 PM »
You need to get that repaired! If it were me, I'd phone the landlord and let him know that you'll be contacting an electrician to come over ASAP and have the bill sent to him (the landlord). Then start going through the Yellow Pages and find an electrician!

Will definitely do that if help doesn't materialize soon.  It's so freakin cold! 
Sep 2004 - Met online
Apr 2006 - Met IRL

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 05:26:10 PM »
If you can't get an electrician before Christmas, I would suggest telling the landlord that you are buying two electric heaters, that he will have to pay for them, and that he will then have to pay the resulting massive electricity bill.

Vicky

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 05:34:45 PM »
If you can't get an electrician before Christmas, I would suggest telling the landlord that you are buying two electric heaters, that he will have to pay for them, and that he will then have to pay the resulting massive electricity bill.

Vicky

LOL!  Good thinking!   ;)
Sep 2004 - Met online
Apr 2006 - Met IRL

• Banned

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 05:36:51 PM »
I'm not joking!

Vicky

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 05:48:57 PM »
I'm not joking!

Vicky

I know it!  But I still think it would be funny.  Don't know why, I guess I have a strange sense of humor.  I think if we simply threatened to do that we would have someone here to fix it straight away though!  I will tell my husband tonight. 

I think maybe we're used to being without so we just live with it rather than complain.  When we were in the US we moved into a house, a fixer-upper, that my dad bought - after he sold us the idea of buying it from him on land-contract etc etc.  We survived 3 weeks in the summer without running water of any kind (turns out the place was condemned!).  He kept insisting that the city had turned it off and wouldn't turn it back on until certain repairs were made and he kept dithering about said repairs.  Finally in a fit of rage I called him and said as our landlord he would have to pay for a motel for us until the water was back on.  It was miraculously turned on the next morning and there was never another mention of the "repairs" !!   Only wish now we had done that in the first place.  Every time I think I have had the worst day, week, month or year of my life, something else comes along and trumps it!  lol
Sep 2004 - Met online
Apr 2006 - Met IRL

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 05:55:22 PM »
Wow!  It really is grim up north!  :o

Sorry to hear what you're having to deal with, but sounds like you really need to move.  My house is nearly 200 years old as well, but they discovered modern conveniences here in Leeds many years ago.  ;)  Good luck!
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 06:18:36 PM »
Wow!  It really is grim up north!  :o

Sorry to hear what you're having to deal with, but sounds like you really need to move.  My house is nearly 200 years old as well, but they discovered modern conveniences here in Leeds many years ago.  ;)  Good luck!

Ha ha!  DH would kill me if I didn't qualify that.  He's from Salford near Manchester, and as a big Northern city, they have all the mod-cons you could wish for.  At the moment however we are living in a little village in Rossendale valley and everyone here that we know has the same setup in their tiny terraced houses.  (No showers, old boilers, crap heating systems, no insulation since all the walls are stone).  In fact, one couple we know still uses a big iron stove in their kitchen that heats the house - they get coal deliveries every week!  I thought their kitchen was the coolest thing ever because it looked like the old England I had seen in movies, until they told me how much work it takes to maintain.  We call this town "the place that time forgot!" 

We are looking at flats and houses in Salford now but want to wait till I have my visa because we'll never find anything cheaper than this and we want to make our budget feasible.  But don't worry - it really isn't all bad up north!  I absolutely love Manchester, it's beautiful and lively and most people are very friendly! 
Sep 2004 - Met online
Apr 2006 - Met IRL

• Banned

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 06:54:02 PM »
In fact, one couple we know still uses a big iron stove in their kitchen that heats the house - they get coal deliveries every week! 

That would be an Aga, and many townies would KILL to have one!!!

Vicky

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 07:27:30 PM »
Geeez.  My mother lives in a 200-300 year old house and it's nothing like that.  That sounds awful, your landlord should try and modernise it.

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 07:29:00 PM »
That would be an Aga, and many townies would KILL to have one!!!

Vicky

Really?  My mom back home in the states wants one too!  I think they might be greener and more economical than natural gas, but our friends say that it is becoming a bit harder to handle because they are getting older.  Plus, wouldn't it be pretty difficult to cook on?  Heat unevenly and that kind of thing?
Sep 2004 - Met online
Apr 2006 - Met IRL

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 09:00:15 PM »
Really?  My mom back home in the states wants one too!  I think they might be greener and more economical than natural gas, but our friends say that it is becoming a bit harder to handle because they are getting older.  Plus, wouldn't it be pretty difficult to cook on?  Heat unevenly and that kind of thing?

They're heavenly and I wish I had one!! Most of my friends and relatives do, and I'm very jealous.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

Sponsored Links