Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Why am I bothered by anti-American sentiments?  (Read 4624 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Why am I bothered by anti-American sentiments?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 05:29:33 PM »
hollyberry, I've had similar experiences with lecturers where I work (I take notes for several disabled students, so I sit in class and mostly blend in). One guy just spent the entire lecture talking about how ignorant Americans are, how they have no history, how they're all frat boys or sorority girls, etc etc. Usually I don't mind but this was like two straight hours, so I thought I'd give a little back. ;) So finally at the very end of the lecture he asked a question about the Pledge of Allegiance, not expecting an answer, and I piped up to answer him. Oh you should have seen the color drain from his face at the sound of my accent!
Him: 'Are you Canadian?'
Me: 'Nope, American.'
Him: *stammer*

I'm so mean. ;)
If we called them Sad Meals, no one would buy them.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 05:30:42 PM »
hollyberry, I've had similar experiences with lecturers where I work (I take notes for several disabled students, so I sit in class and mostly blend in). One guy just spent the entire lecture talking about how ignorant Americans are, how they have no history, how they're all frat boys or sorority girls, etc etc. Usually I don't mind but this was like two straight hours, so I thought I'd give a little back. ;) So finally at the very end of the lecture he asked a question about the Pledge of Allegiance, not expecting an answer, and I piped up to answer him. Oh you should have seen the color drain from his face at the sound of my accent!
Him: 'Are you Canadian?'
Me: 'Nope, American.'
Him: *stammer*

I'm so mean. ;)

Heh. This sounds like something I'd do!
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 05:55:28 PM »
I probably shouldn't have done it, since he is technically a colleague, but I had a good chuckle over it, that's for sure.
If we called them Sad Meals, no one would buy them.

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 06:18:03 PM »
I think bookgirl was an officer in the USAF. Forgive me if I'm wrong. It was someone on here.
When I was in the USAF I was on a trip (TDY) and in a car driven by an officer. There were probably 6 of us, and we stopped at his parents house for lunch and he proceeded to rant and rave about the English and after a long while a fellow airman piped up that I was English. I could of killed him. Why didn't he keep his mouth shut? It made it very uncomfortable for both of us. Meaning the officer and me.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 06:19:48 PM by Jim »

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 06:50:27 PM »
In the AF yes, but not an Officer.

Oh lord, those sorts of situations are always uncomfortable, but with an Officer there even worse.  There were many a times an officer made me want to curl up and die and all they did was look at me.

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 07:19:49 PM »
In the AF yes, but not an Officer.

Oh lord, those sorts of situations are always uncomfortable, but with an Officer there even worse.  There were many a times an officer made me want to curl up and die and all they did was look at me.
That is unfortunate even though you are good looking.
Is there a solution?
Conduct unbecoming an officer?

• British and Texan (and ape)
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 07:55:33 PM »
That is unfortunate even though you are good looking.

Errrm, I'm glad my husbind doesn't make remayrks like thatto other wommenm, I wud find that disrepcful.

SOry, I'm not taking the p*ss with my speling, jut trieng to annoy somune as he cain't seam to control himself whin people use inccorect gramer and spellin in thier posts.

But I do stand by my comment that it's unseemly to compliment another woman like that, and keep in mind she might also find it offensive.

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 09:34:53 PM »
But I do stand by my comment that it's unseemly to compliment another woman like that, and keep in mind she might also find it offensive.
How can a compliment be offensive? ???

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2009, 09:36:36 PM »

Ask your wife.

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 09:38:40 PM »

Not offensive, more annoying really. The wise man knows certain things: never compliment another woman in your wife or girlfriend's hearing. Never comment favourably, to a woman, even your mother, on another woman's appearance. For example: every time Kate Winslet comes on the TV, I say "God I hate that woman: she's so stupid!" and peace reigns in our house.

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 09:53:25 PM »
Ask your wife.
Oh man ???
To explain. I think it was said that she was stared at by the officer. I agree that it would be bad to stare at anyone. The comment about she being good looking was said in jest.
I'm sure this was not why he was staring  as she wouldn't have felt the way she did.
Lighten up people!
People stare at Obama. If you said he was good looking or handsome should he be offended?

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 09:56:21 PM »
People stare at Obama. If you said he was good looking or handsome should he be offended?

It would not be about Obama being offended, it would be about offending my husband.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 09:58:57 PM »
Hasn't Jim explained?  It was a misunderstanding, I am sure he meant no offence.

(If he had said she was ugly, then that would have offended me!)

Vicky

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 10:24:07 PM »
Hasn't Jim explained?  It was a misunderstanding, I am sure he meant no offence.

(If he had said she was ugly, then that would have offended me!)

Vicky

Yes, that's taking a personal interpretation to what may/may not cause offense, but let's look at cultures where women are the property of their husbands or fathers (and where, for example, if the woman get raped, SHE gets punished, as she is now rendered worthless in terms of human value).  In such instances, making such a forward remark could offend the husband or father, not to mention the woman herself, who has to protect her virtue, as her life depends on it.  It is therefore much better to avoid paying compliments to all women, just in case... right?  Or have I misunderstood the conclusion reached on this board earlier today?

The other aspect to this was that a person may take offence (due to jealousy) if their partner pays a compliment about appearance to someone else. 

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2009, 10:29:59 PM »

Errrm, I'm glad my husbind doesn't make remayrks like thatto other wommenm, I wud find that disrepcful.

SOry, I'm not taking the p*ss with my speling, jut trieng to annoy somune as he cain't seam to control himself whin people use inccorect gramer and spellin in thier posts.

LBA! whats happened to your spegging??
I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab