Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Why am I bothered by anti-American sentiments?  (Read 4625 times)

• If you take my breath away...
  • Liked: 0
Re: Why am I bothered by anti-American sentiments?
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2009, 10:39:20 PM »
Do you ever get the feeling that when people compare the generic American to the generic citizen of another country, they're comparing our dumber guys with everybody else's smarter guys?

I was just wondering about that.  I have to say that I generally associate with university educated people  - which has been my baseline for average.

I came to the conclusion that the guy was just going for the joke - resorting to stereotypes to get a laugh.  It was a just a foot-in-the-mouth moment, that I myself have been guilty of many many times.

Because my parents are British and I was raised in English culture amongst international families (and that I arrived in the UK with my UK nationality in hand) I thought that I was somehow not really an American.  

It has really been a shock for me to realize how American I am.  I've always laughed along with the criticisms on the British TV shows and stand-up routines I've watched.  In retrospect, it was because they were actually making valid points about valid issues.

I could go on but my point is S2B ex-pat, is that it doesn't matter how prepared you think you are.  Despite your appreciation for British culture, when you get here - you will be an American.  People will make unfounded assumptions about you and there is nothing that will make it not happen.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 10:43:13 PM by hollyberry »
...the whole damn thing will turn
and return redefined, rearranged, rearranged...

• Banned

• Liked: 0
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2009, 12:26:53 AM »
I was just wondering about that.  I have to say that I generally associate with university educated people  - which has been my baseline for average.

I came to the conclusion that the guy was just going for the joke - resorting to stereotypes to get a laugh.  It was a just a foot-in-the-mouth moment, that I myself have been guilty of many many times.

Because my parents are British and I was raised in English culture amongst international families (and that I arrived in the UK with my UK nationality in hand) I thought that I was somehow not really an American.  

It has really been a shock for me to realize how American I am.  I've always laughed along with the criticisms on the British TV shows and stand-up routines I've watched.  In retrospect, it was because they were actually making valid points about valid issues.

I could go on but my point is S2B ex-pat, is that it doesn't matter how prepared you think you are.  Despite your appreciation for British culture, when you get here - you will be an American.  People will make unfounded assumptions about you and there is nothing that will make it not happen.
]

You know the funny thing is i would probably join in on the fun.  ;)

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2009, 09:30:08 AM »
Despite your appreciation for British culture, when you get here - you will be an American.  People will make unfounded assumptions about you and there is nothing that will make it not happen.

Agree. I'm probably the biggest anglophile most of my friends have met - music, books, men (  :P ) you name it and I've always prefered them English. I'm also ultra liberal and certainly could never have been confused for a Bush supporter. But when I moved here I realised how naive I was being about the whole thing. Just because you like Blur and voted for Clinton doesn't make you any less a product of the country in which you were born and raised.

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2009, 08:54:49 PM »
[Mod Note]

unlocked. 

Mercury retrograde is over.  Let's all just get along.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2009, 08:58:25 PM »

What an interesting perspective. I can see how that was a little difficult for you to take!

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2009, 04:01:19 PM »
[Mod Note]

unlocked. 

Mercury retrograde is over.  Let's all just get along.

lol... a fellow astrology follower, I see. I do most of whatever Susan Miller tells me to do!
 ;)

Sponsored Links