Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: rant: you dont know someone until.....  (Read 3062 times)

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
  • Liked: 0
Re: rant: you dont know someone until.....
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
think it's because it's so expensive and rare for Americans to travel abroad that they have to pack everything in for fear of not ever making it back to see the stuff that was missed. (DH marvels at people who travel Europe in 3 weeks, spending a few days here and a few days there - you spend so much time just getting from place to place! He says it sounds soooo exhausting, and would be a travel nightmare for him.) I think my attitudes about travel have changed a bit since I have been here, I feel more relaxed, and I know that the chilling out part is often better than the tourist trap stuff anyway.

That's a good point. My mom's co-workers are so shocked that we land in Dublin on a Tuesday, but only have 1 day trip planned out (Cork) before meeting up with Tim on the Friday, and we don't have *any* solid plans after meeting up with Tim other that "see some sites and relax". 

I originally had planned a 2-week whirlwind European tour for mom - a day in Paris, 2 days in Vienna, 1 day in Munchen, 1 day in Amsterdam, etc. until I realized we'd be spending half of the trip in transit!
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 04:30:50 PM »
When my friend came to visit, I knew it would be her only vacation this year, and that she chose it to come and see me rather than go somewhere else, so I saved as much as I could and I took the time off, and I planned something for us to do every day. But it can be hard to do that.

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 05:30:15 PM »
It wasn't even really the running about trying to fit in a bunch of sites/things to do/spending money thing that was getting to me.  As an American whose first trip abroad was for the DH, I understand.  It was everything else.

She was snobby and condescending to my friends I introduced her to here. Condescending to me in front of my friends when we were trying to have a good time.

She was loud as hell.  We'd be on a bus and she would be talking loud enough for the whole bus to hear the conversation, and I believe this was on purpose.

She would pet, kiss, and talk to EVERYONE's dog... despite the fact I told her she should be careful b/c some people can get wierd about their dogs.  

And what drove me insane is she didnt understand why I was quiet.  I tried explaining to her that, especially when in public, I am very conscious of myself, my actions, my volume because I do not want to be THAT American... the one who only furthers the whole "Americans Abroad" stereotype.

My polish friend, bless her soul, offered to take her around Brighton while i was at work on monday and even she admitted to being embarassed by her at times.  Not only that, but my american friend then had the nerve to complain to my polish friend about how I haven't taken her out to any nightclubs (after I had already emphasized they cause me to have social anxiety panic attacks).

On several evenings (10pm onwards) she would go sit on the steps of my building in her PJs, greeting and talking to my neighbors whom I dont even know (nor care to).  I dont want to get insulting here, but my friend is, for lack of better words, a bit pudgy.  Now, I'm not a 95lb model myself, but at her size I would not be sitting in half a tank top and short shorts with all my bits hanging out, greeting people I did not know.  Not exactly the type of ambassador you want for your flat, esp. when you dont know your neighbors.

Talking to the seagulls.  She is "wiccan" and had told me earlier in the trip about how she is a dominant personality and animals sense that blah blah.  Then she goes to feed seagulls her chips (always a bad idea), gets surrounded by seagulls, and starts talking to them ("ah! not yet, wait your turn."  "stop" "be nice") and being loud and making a huge scene and i just wanted to scream "no, they really dont sense sh!t. they are dirty birds who are about to turn Hitchcock on you for your chips, sit down for Christ's sake."

Used "pardon" with a FRENCH accent to get by people in the streets... we're in the UK you know!

Sigh, I ranted again.  I'll need to double check to see if it's out of my system yet.

DH figures she found herself trapped/obligated into coming over because she booked the tickets months ago, set herself on finding an English man, met a local back home and hooked up, but by this point she had made all the arrangements months ago and was locked in.  I dont really know what her deal was.  It's provided me with insight into who she is, and I feel we are too different to continue maintaining the friendship, especially after the raw feelings it's left me with.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 05:44:55 PM by Navie »

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 05:38:37 PM »
I totally feel for you, Navie.  One thing, though.  Being Wiccan does not give her permission to be obnoxious!  I am pagan (used to call myself Wiccan) and would not dream of feeding vermin and being so ungrateful and emabarrassing to my host!
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 05:49:01 PM »
I totally feel for you, Navie.  One thing, though.  Being Wiccan does not give her permission to be obnoxious!  I am pagan (used to call myself Wiccan) and would not dream of feeding vermin and being so ungrateful and emabarrassing to my host!

Yeah, that's why I used the quotes.  I'm not doubting the religion, just her interpretation of it.

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 06:07:12 PM »
It reminds me a bit of a woman who was on a London bus a few months ago.  I was on the top deck, and this American (or Canadian) woman was talking so loudly on the lower deck.  I could make out her conversation clearly in detail.

The bus driver kept playing the "please do not play your musical devices without headphones" recording over and over.  I guess they don't have have a "STFU, you're talking too loudly" recording.

I was embarrassed, and when I left the bus, I couldn't help giving her a dirty look.  Of course, these are the people who people remember as "Americans" (even if they're Canadian), despite, especially in London, probably bumping into quiet, non-stereotypical Americans on a daily basis.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 06:29:43 PM »
Eeeps.... Sorry for your troubles...

Since you only spent a few hours at a time with her before and if it were in America before you moved here, she may have always been like this and you just never noticed... 

But you can't fault someone for being American...
American's don't travel much and just don't get it.  You can explain that you need to be quiet or reserved or whatever, but it doesn't sink in until you live here and then realise you don't want to be called "one of those Americans" (Though I'm sure I am one of those Americans...  :-\\\\)

I was with my parents for 2 weeks and my friends for 2 weeks here and whilst I didn't have the trouble you did, they were great house guests and I had a great time I did realise just "how American and friendly and loud and wide eyed and bushy tailed and how patriotic they were".  But they certainly were appreciative, grateful of my time, grateful of my hospitality, etc.

There's no excuse for being rude, bitchy, unappreciative, or feeling like they own you and you exist for their enjoyment.  People like that drive me mad and that sucks...   
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 06:41:46 PM »

I agree.  I myself love the US, love being an American etc.  But I gave my reasons for not being loud and obnoxious.... but aside from not wanting to further a stereotype you should not want to be loud and obnoxious for more obviouos reasons! haha. ;)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 06:47:16 PM »
I agree.  I myself love the US, love being an American etc.  But I gave my reasons for not being loud and obnoxious.... but aside from not wanting to further a stereotype you should not want to be loud and obnoxious for more obviouos reasons! haha. ;)

Hahahahah  ;)

Well I'm not loud or obnoxious in voice.... just loud and obnoxious in my appearance  :)
Though I'm comfortable in my tye-dyes, colourful trousers and colourful things in my hair (would dreadlock it and dye it completely if I could get away with it at work!)- things many Brits would never be caught dead in...

You're stuck with me!

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 06:51:43 PM »
Hahahahah  ;)

Well I'm not loud or obnoxious in voice.... just loud and obnoxious in my appearance  :)
Though I'm comfortable in my tye-dyes, colourful trousers and colourful things in my hair (would dreadlock it and dye it completely if I could get away with it at work!)- things many Brits would never be caught dead in...

You should move down here to Brighton, no one would give you a second look!  I had 5th Element orange coloured hair once and still didnt stand out!

Oh and I hope you didnt misinterperet, I meant "you should  not want to be loud..." as in the collective "you" and not you personally.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 06:53:36 PM »
You should move down here to Brighton, no one would give you a second look!  I had 5th Element orange coloured hair once and still didnt stand out!

Oh and I hope you didnt misinterperet, I meant "you should  not want to be loud..." as in the collective "you" and not you personally.

;D

No worries, I didn't take it wrong  ;)
You're stuck with me!

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 06:54:11 PM »

American's don't travel much and just don't get it.  You can explain that you need to be quiet or reserved or whatever, but it doesn't sink in until you live here and then realise you don't want to be called "one of those Americans" (Though I'm sure I am one of those Americans...  :-\\\\)

I was talking to Tim about this last night (the OP) and his comment was pretty much the same. He pointed out to me that most of us on this board are seasoned travelers and know how to act and what to expect while visiting, but many Americans don't or they only have a short window to go abroad in.  Not that it justifies her actions, though.
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 07:40:54 PM »
Yeah, that's why I used the quotes.  I'm not doubting the religion, just her interpretation of it.
OK, cool!  :)
Married October 2007

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 07:43:40 PM »

I'd like to check out Brighton some time!
Married October 2007

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 09:53:47 PM »

The bus driver kept playing the "please do not play your musical devices without headphones" recording over and over.  I guess they don't have have a "STFU, you're talking too loudly" recording.

Lol!  I just read that aloud to the bf and he cracked up as well.  ;D
"It’s life. You don’t figure it out. You just climb up on the beast and ride." - Rebecca Wells

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab