Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How did your significant other propose to you?  (Read 8394 times)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: How did your significant other propose to you?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 11:53:51 AM »

How did that go about? Did someone happen to mention making the wedding plans? ;D ;)

That would be me!  ;D

Seriously, though, it was all very practical. We knew we'd get married, and we knew where we wanted to get married - and we had to book the place or we wouldn't be able to have it for that year. So that was it really.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 12:25:40 PM »
We had talked about it quite a bit, so I knew a proposal was coming (and had given some input into the ring selection) but didn't know exactly when or how he would do it. He was flying in to Boston to visit for a week and I met him at the airport. I was waiting for him in the arrivals hall of the international terminal and he got down and pulled out the ring the instant he saw me and did it right there in front of everyone. It was quite fitting- we met and fell in love in Boston and that airport was where we first said goodbye when he got his new job and moved home. I love that I now have a happy memory there!

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 03:55:33 PM »
The significant other is supposed to propose?  :P

THANK YOU!

I proposed, too. ;D

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 04:08:10 PM »
No proposal here either. We needed to get married to be able to move to the US together and we want to be together, so we got married.  ;)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 04:17:42 PM »
TECHNICALLY Vincent proposed the first time he came to visit, when I was 16, and we were cuddling and he just said "Marry me..." ;D

But he ACTUALLY proposed after we'd been together for 4 years. We had talked about marriage from the beginning, obviously. So we both knew it would happen... He was visiting me in America for Christmas, and our anniversary was on Dec. 28th. I REALLY expected him to propose then, and was really upset when he didn't. But I got over it.

The next day we went to the mall, and I decided to look at the rings in a jewelers :P to see what I liked. I was saying "oh I really like that cut" and he was acting really stand-offish and not saying anything... So I panicked and thought "OH MY GOD HE DOESN'T WANT TO MARRY ME" :P Long story short, we ended up driving home in silence, and then had a HUGE fight. We'd never had such a big fight in our entire relationship, and I was thinking "this is it, it's over..." But we did make up eventually and decided we were both being stupid. So we were laying in bed after the fight, in that serene calm after the storm... And he was saying "We should go out to dinner. Do you feel like going to Minutellos?" and I said "No, let's just stay in." and he kept pushing for it. But I just kept saying I'd rather stay in and watch a movie...

So we lay there a while... And then he said "I have a DVD I want you to watch in my suitcase" and got up to get it. So I kept laying there, spacing out. And then all of a sudden I focused on him and he was on his knee with the ring out! Apparently he didn't want to do it ON our anniversary because I would be expecting it.
Finally living with my Husband in London after 6 1/2 years together but apart... and loving my life!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2009, 04:18:54 PM »
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2009, 05:39:07 PM »
"Ring"? What is this "ring" you speak of?
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2009, 07:41:47 PM »
"Ring"? What is this "ring" you speak of?

20 years and I still don't have an engagement ring. :(

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 11:53:55 AM »
Yep, practical here too.... I was here on a student visa. It was going to run out in about six months. We were lying around one night and I said something like "you know, when my visa runs out I'll have to leave unless we get married" and he basically said "OK, I'll marry you if that's what I need to do".  ;D

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2009, 11:56:28 AM »

We were walking by a cheap mall-type jewelry store one afternoon and I saw a cheap ring that I thought was quite pretty - I said I thought he should get me a ring, convinced him to look at watches while I looked at a couple of rings - I told him I actually preferred the cheap one to the fancier one, he said that was a relief and he bought it. We don't really do romantic gestures.  ;)

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2009, 10:52:36 AM »

I never wanted one. I like plain-ish sterling silver jewelry, and the thought of having an expensive ring filled me with dread, as I don't want to be held responsible for something happening to it. Plus, I'd rather we spent the money on travel or something else. I'm not that big on jewelry anyway. We got plain silver bands with our names engraved on them (his on mine and vice versa) and an inscription inside that meant something special to us. I love our rings!

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2009, 02:19:53 PM »
Thank god for this thread! LOL I've been on a wedding planning site here in the US & it seems everyone has these cute, romantic little proposal stories. Reading too much of that can give a girl a complex or something. LOL

Anyway, here's our story:
We had been talking about marriage for months & I was upset that he didn't propose to me at some beautiful, romantic locale when I was visiting him in the UK. Before I left, I told him that I didn't want to be proposed to in the US, that I wanted to be proposed to in the UK, because I love the UK so much. Still, when he visited me again in the US a couple of months later, I had hopes for a romantic proposal on our trip to Charleston, SC. No dice.

Despite being perfectly happy to talk about wedding plans & even decide that we would apply for a fiancee visa and when the children & I came over for Christmas, we would be staying and getting married in January, he was hesitant to make that last step & actually propose. About a week after he returned to the UK, we were talking on the phone & I pointed out to him that without an actual proposal, how was I supposed to apply for a fiancee visa?? He replied, "Oh true. I hadn't thought about that. Will you marry me?" LOL Of course I agreed. So in a way, I was proposed to in both the US & UK, since each of us was in different countries. LOL

I found out later that when he was visiting in June, he had actually asked my father's permission and made a plan to sneak over at Thanksgiving to surprise me and propose. :) Now we've changed our plans and will actually be getting married here in the States before Thanksgiving. :) I still don't have my ring though cause it's just not safe to ship it. So, I'll get my engagement ring a few days before my wedding ring. LOL
7 November 2009 Married
4 December 2009 documents received by expediter & delivered to consulate in Chicago
9 December 2009 Visas approved and issued
14 December 2009 Arrived in UK
8 December 2011 Applied for ILR
19 February 2012 ILR approved

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 09:57:34 PM »
My fiance purposed to me on August 21st, it was like 3 a.m. in the morning.  It was during his visit to Dallas to see me.  We were up so late cause we decided to maximize our ten days with one another, and stay up as late as we could stand.  Everyday had been absolutely gorgeous and sunny prior (got to love the Texas summer).  But that night we were out on the balcony just chatting.  It started to thunderstorm and rain really heavy.  I was standing facing the courtyard, he was behind with him arms wrapped around me.  Then he let go, and tugged my on the back of my tshirt.  I turned around and he was down on one knee, with the cutest ring ive ever seen.  He was was so nervous and shaking..and said this:

Before you i never believed in love, never believed in marriage, and certainly never thought I would find someone so perfect for me.  He said I cannot imagine my life without you, you are all I think about, and I would be the happiest and luckiest man in the world "literally" if you would be my wife.

I obviously said yes..it was so private, romantic, and the perfect setting for me.  Im not much of a make a scene kind of girl. 

• dailydoseofash.blogspot.com
    • Daily Dose of Ash
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2009, 05:18:10 PM »
Well we met in Canada and were together there for three months before his work permit expired and he had to return to the UK. After doing the whole LDR thing for about a year, I was visiting him and we discussed things in depth. We both knew we loved each other more than anything and couldn't picture our lives without each other, so while under different circumstance we might have put the wedding off a bit longer, we knew it was going to happen at some point and decided that we should probably get engaged soon since we didn't want to spend anymore time apart than we had to!

While it wasn't crazy and elaborate, the whole process felt very romantic to us :) We picked out a ring together and then I left it up to him. About two weeks later we were having dinner at his parents house and he called me upstairs where he'd decorated a room with a bouquet of roses and a few candles and got down on one knee [smiley=heart.gif] he nervously asked (despite having picked out the ring together haha) and of course I said yes! 11.5 months later we were married in England, where we currently reside and today we've officially been married for two months x
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 05:19:47 PM by ashley87 »
Aug 2007 - Began relationship with DH while both in Canada
1 Aug 2008 - Got engaged
11 May 2009 - Fiancee Visa approved
17 May 2009 - Moved to the UK
12 July 2009 - Wedding Day!!!
21 Sep 2009 - FLR (M) approved in Liverpool

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2009, 05:49:01 PM »
I never wanted one. I like plain-ish sterling silver jewelry, and the thought of having an expensive ring filled me with dread, as I don't want to be held responsible for something happening to it. Plus, I'd rather we spent the money on travel or something else. I'm not that big on jewelry anyway. We got plain silver bands with our names engraved on them (his on mine and vice versa) and an inscription inside that meant something special to us. I love our rings!
I just saw this post--Jewlz, I am the same as you!  We have silver pendants (inscribed) and when we finally do get rings they will be silver as well.
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

Sponsored Links