Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK: Manchester airport trials naked-image security scans  (Read 3936 times)

• Liked: 0
UK: Manchester airport trials naked-image security scans
« on: October 13, 2009, 12:26:13 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/oct/13/manchester-airport-naked-security-scan

Originally, passengers had to remove their jackets when passing through airport security. Then it was belts, and soon shoes had to come off too. But those who feared that losing one's trousers was the next logical step will find scant comfort in the news that an x-ray machine that produces "naked" images of passengers will be introduced at a British international airport today.

As well as enabling staff to instantly spot any hidden weapons or explosives, the full-body scanner being trialled at Manchester airport will leave little to the imagination of airport security staff. It will reveal a clear outline of passengers genitalia, as well as any false limbs, breast enlargements or body piercings.

I don't know what to say...

• Heart...Captured
  • Liked: 1
Re: UK: Manchester airport trials naked-image security scans
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 12:27:59 PM »
WOW...I feel so violated!

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 12:42:55 PM »

The article did say it was optional. You can have the x-ray or a good ole pat down. Either way it's only for our safety.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 12:46:57 PM »
Here's why the new scanners are getting so much play lately:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/09/28/eveningnews/main5347847.shtml

Quote from: CBS News
Inside a Saudi palace, the scene was the bloody aftermath of an al Qaeda attack in August aimed at killing Prince Mohammed Bin Nayef, head of Saudi Arabia's counter terrorism operations.

To get his bomb into this room, Abdullah Asieri, one of Saudi Arabia's most wanted men, avoided detection by two sets of airport security including metal detectors and palace security. He spent 30 hours in the close company of the prince's own secret service agents - all without anyone suspecting a thing.

How did he do it?

Taking a trick from the narcotics trade - which has long smuggled drugs in body cavities - Asieri had a pound of high explosives, plus a detonator inserted in his rectum.

• It's 4:20 somewhere!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 12:48:20 PM »
 [smiley=gorgeous.gif] .... [smiley=bobby.gif] [smiley=idea2.gif] [smiley=curtain.gif] ... [smiley=bootyshake.gif] ... :o   [smiley=mad.gif] 

;D
Still tired of coteries and bans. But hanging about anyway.

• unabridged opinions
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 12:49:09 PM »
I want someone to take this to one of the possibly logical conclusions and try and fly in the nude. Think of the time it would save! think of how safe we would be!  ;D

That said, I thought these originally were going to be used instead of the pat-downs (so you could get in one of these instead of having someone touch you)--instead of replacing all of the x-rays.

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 12:52:34 PM »
[smiley=gorgeous.gif] .... [smiley=bobby.gif] [smiley=idea2.gif] [smiley=curtain.gif] ... [smiley=bootyshake.gif] ... :o   [smiley=mad.gif] 

;D
I like your use of smilies!
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 01:43:39 PM »
Honestly, I'd rather have this than someone feeling me up.  They're taking steps to protect your privacy by having only one guy looking at it in a remote location and deleting the image directly after.

Sounds like a good solution to me. Sounds safer.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »
Here's why the new scanners are getting so much play lately:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/09/28/eveningnews/main5347847.shtml

Interesting, thanks for the connection Camoscato.   Though, I am not sure if the increase of safety outweighs the lost of civil liberties on this one.  Isn't that what those air puff machines are for, to detect explosive materials and what not?

Mrs Ashley, I agree being felt up is not a good alternative but I do think we can develop other means of safety without having to produce so called "naked" pictures. 

• Heart...Captured
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 01:54:52 PM »
They're taking steps to protect your privacy by having only one guy looking at it in a remote location and deleting the image directly after.

In theory...

Easy to say that until you see your naked black and white image on the internet.

• It's 4:20 somewhere!
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 01:58:15 PM »
Who says ALL images will get deleted? That's what they say but they can't guarantee it. I could see a few images slipping through the net onto the net.
Still tired of coteries and bans. But hanging about anyway.

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 02:11:45 PM »
Who says ALL images will get deleted? That's what they say but they can't guarantee it. I could see a few images slipping through the net onto the net.

...and?
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

• Heart...Captured
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 02:16:32 PM »
Quote from: Ms Mort if You're Nasty on October 13, 2009, 02:11:45 PM
...and?

And...I want to be financially compensated if they can find anyone to pay for mine.   ;D

• Liked: 163
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 02:19:49 PM »
Interesting, thanks for the connection Camoscato.   Though, I am not sure if the increase of safety outweighs the lost of civil liberties on this one.  Isn't that what those air puff machines are for, to detect explosive materials and what not?

You're welcome for the link (self-promotion alert: I edited the story :) ).  In this case, the bomb was sealed inside the bomber, making it harder for air puff machines or sniffer dogs to detect it (not impossible, but much much harder).  We didn't have enough time to go into greater detail in the story, but the security guys that were interviewed were horrified at the possibility of human-borne bombs, and the impact they'd have on the security industry if they become prevalent. 

I totally understand what you mean about civil liberties, and I agree that those concerns shouldn't be overlooked.  As it stands with current technology, though, there aren't any good ways to detect a bomb hidden inside a human being.

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 03:07:16 PM »
And...I want to be financially compensated if they can find anyone to pay for mine.   ;D

Zing! :D
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab