Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US: Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords shot in Arizona  (Read 3391 times)

• Tom and America's Wedding
  • Liked: 0
Re: US: Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords shot in Arizona
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2011, 03:46:18 PM »
'The View' Condemns Palin's Political Target Map; Behar Cracks: 'Looks Like Al-Qaida Christmas Card'

Wow... The View had a rational discussion on this issue a while ago and bring up some good points. I have no idea who the colorful lady in the middle is- what an outfit!

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2011, 04:06:55 PM »

• Tom and America's Wedding
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 04:14:45 PM »
Dame Edna is in the middle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dame_Edna_Everage

Thanks! I recognized her from somewhere... must have been the Beatles cameo!

• Liked: 387
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2011, 09:03:37 PM »
Absolutely horrible.  Really, really horrible. 

:\\\'( :\\\'(

>:( >:(

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 01:22:53 AM »
It's terrible. I was listening to NPR while driving home and they were interviewing a professor who studies gun laws... Arizona has some of the most permissive in the country. They make laws to enable people to own guns, not to prevent it.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Liked: 36
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2011, 02:24:54 PM »
Hiya

A very sad and terrifying incident and completely unnecessary. I hope those who survided go on to make full recoveries.

I just wanted to add about the people who lay down and played dead - in that situation, there's nothing to be ashamed of and indeed as pointed out, a natural instinctive reaction. When it comes to the rest of us, I also agree that in that situation I'd hope to be brave and try to somehow stop the situation just as the guy did trying to protect his wife, the lady who tried to stop him re-loading and the one who went in the direction of fire to help.

I've been in a situation where I've been trained to behave/do things in a certain way and in the heat of the moment, I've done EXACTLY the opposite. Thankfully, each of those incidences worked out well in the end, and although I wasn't in any immediate danger to my life, quite a few were fairly stressful to deal with (Major Fire, Intruders, Chemical incidents - and all being first on scene)

Stressful and potentially dangerous incidents like these and you really don't know how you or others will react and all respect to the people here who did what they did.

DtM! West London & Slough UK

• Liked: 533
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2011, 02:47:07 PM »
Good points dennis..

Years ago I was a lifeguard and we were trained to carefully judge when and how to react. In other words you shouldn't put yourself into a situation where you to might end up a fatality. It sounds harsh but the reasoning is is that if you are incapacitated you are of no use to anyone and infact then become a greater problem.

Obviously this was a judgement call (one I never had to make).

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 2
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2011, 02:42:13 AM »
Good points dennis..

Years ago I was a lifeguard and we were trained to carefully judge when and how to react. In other words you shouldn't put yourself into a situation where you to might end up a fatality. It sounds harsh but the reasoning is is that if you are incapacitated you are of no use to anyone and infact then become a greater problem.

Obviously this was a judgement call (one I never had to make).

I am a CERT team member, and we are told to leave the scene if it is unsafe for us, for the reasons mentioned above. 

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 08:02:00 AM »
I am a CERT team member, and we are told to leave the scene if it is unsafe for us, for the reasons mentioned above. 

I'm a CERT trainer.  I wish they had something like it here.  I loved helping people be capable in that aspect.

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2011, 11:05:40 AM »
The president made a pretty moving speech:

President Obama: Memorial in Arizona

(for those of you not silly enough to sit up and wait for it in the wee hours)

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
very good speech.  he managed to comfort and reassure without making it into a rally.

Contrast this with Palin's video yesterday.

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2011, 12:08:23 PM »
I can understand her point.  It isn't the pundits that made this guy do it.  He had contact with her back to 07, before Palin came on the scene.

But the thing is, everyone who is reasonable knows that and everyone who isn't reasonable won't be swayed by her comments. 

Also, BLOOD LIBEL??!!  Jesus wept you'd think someone would look at her speech beforehand.

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2011, 12:15:31 PM »
I can understand her point.  It isn't the pundits that made this guy do it.  He had contact with her back to 07, before Palin came on the scene.

But the thing is, everyone who is reasonable knows that and everyone who isn't reasonable won't be swayed by her comments. 

Also, BLOOD LIBEL??!!  Jesus wept you'd think someone would look at her speech beforehand.
No. kidding. I did a double-take when I read the blood libel comment.  There's illogical, and then there's just plain ridiculous. I agree that it seems as if this was the act of a disturbed individual, but I would welcome a change in the rhetoric we hear from those in the public eye. I also really appreciated Obama's speech, and his call to act as our best selves.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2011, 12:20:53 PM »

Although my opinion of Sarah Palin makes it hard to do so, I agree.  I don't think you can blame movies or video games or heavy metal music when some lunatic goes on a crime spree; you can't blame politicians, either.

That said, it would've been impressive if Palin had supported a change to a more civil tone in politics, but she stuck to the script instead, which is disappointing, but not surprising.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2011, 12:22:27 PM »
I just sense a deep anger/malevolence(sp?) in Palin pretty much every time she speaks. I don't know if she is pandering to her core followers or not, which is a pretty bad thing in itself...
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab