Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Osama Bin Laden dead, officials say  (Read 2688 times)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: Osama Bin Laden dead, officials say
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 11:57:55 AM »
I completely agree with you, NoseOverTail. I'm more than slightly sickened by what looks to me like a totally inappropriate response by a lot of people. Yes, of course it's a good thing he's finally been captured and killed. Nobody's arguing that. But cheering in the street is a bit ... I don't know ... it just leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. If we saw crowds of Sunni Muslims on the news chanting in the streets in Afghanistan, a lot of people would feel really uncomfortable and threatened by it. But when we do it, it's supposed to be acceptable?  
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 11:59:04 AM »
He was given the option to surrender but did not.  The terrorists were using a woman as a human shield.  What cowards!!!!

• Liked: 4
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 12:02:36 PM »
I think there's a difference between anyone in the street cheering about the death of innocent people versus cheering the death of someone who caused and was causing the deaths of innocent people.

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 12:03:29 PM »
I think there's a difference between anyone in the street cheering about the death of innocent people versus cheering the death of someone who caused and was causing the deaths of innocent people.

Well said

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 12:07:48 PM »
I just find cheering over death - anyone's death - to be in extremely poor taste.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 12:09:05 PM »

Yep!!
 [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

• I miss people no matter where I live
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 12:13:09 PM »
I just find cheering over death - anyone's death - to be in extremely poor taste.

Completely agree with you. The people that died are still dead. And I don't think killing someone even someone evil and horrible "rights a wrong" as another poster has said.
Met DH to be: 2004
Visited back and forth:2005-2008
Student visa: September 2008
Married: September 2009
Flr(m): July 2011
Finished my bachelors: May 2012
Finished MSc: august 2013
ILR approved: September 2013
Citizenship approval: August 2015
Passport received: November 2015
Citizenship journey is complete!

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 12:14:14 PM »
Same.  It all just smacks of barbarism as far as I'm concerned.
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 12:19:35 PM »
It's about time the extremists saw us celebrating.
We've had to endure years of seeing them rejoice at our suffering.
Barbaric? Perhaps, but, I for one, would have liked to see his head on a pike in the middle of ground zero.
Now to get Ayman al-Zawahiri.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 12:53:41 PM »
Good job by the US military/CIA.  It's nice to hear they spent a good long time working the intelligence, too.  So often in government you see people focussed on short term goals and quick fixes that make for good headlines, so I'm glad in this case that success has come after a long period of what I'm sure was difficult detective work.  Tonight I'll raise a toast to them.

As for celebrating, I understand those people who think it's in bad taste, and I don't begrudge them their opinion, or think they're any less horrified by terrorism than anyone else.  I also think, though, there's a difference between celebrating the deaths of 3,000 people in a terrorist attack, and celebrating the death of the man who ordered it.  If people want to celebrate in this case, I say let 'em.

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 02:40:26 PM »
I think it's fantastic.  Poor taste??  Are Americans not supposed to be happy by his death?  

For those of us who lived through 9/11 and the atrocities associated to Bin Laden prior to that, it's a great day--not the end of terrorism, but a great day indeed!!
 :)

Thanks for speaking for every single person who lived though 9/11.  When was the meeting where they appointed you as spokesperson?  My invitation must have been lost in the post.

It's about time the extremists saw us celebrating.
We've had to endure years of seeing them rejoice at our suffering.
Barbaric? Perhaps, but, I for one, would have liked to see his head on a pike in the middle of ground zero.
Now to get Ayman al-Zawahiri.

just so you know, wanting to see a human head mounted on a pike in public in the twenty first century makes you one of "the extremists"
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 02:42:43 PM by lamuella »

• Heart...Captured
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 02:47:13 PM »
I thought the celebrating was also in poor taste.  I'm happy he's dead but celebrating it makes it seem like it's over...which his death has probably just spurred even more passion for them to plot "bigger and better" terrorist attacks to avenge him.  I feel we've given them more inspiration for hate and further martyrdom...it's not like they're all going to say, "Well our leader is dead.  Guess we should go sit in our underground huts and cry, throwing up the white flag and giving up forever."  I'm preparing for worse to come, not feeling a sense of relief or justice.

The thing that's annoying the spitfire out of me is that 50% of my Facebook friends are arguing over who to assign credit to...Bush or Obama.  Really?  I mean...REALLY?  People think a president has the power to start, end and win or lose a war?  Does he also determine tax prices, gas prices and win by popular election also?  And this...even this...is reduced to a political debate/president bashing?  FFS!  That's really appreciated.   ::)

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 02:48:58 PM »
Thanks for speaking for every single person who lived though 9/11.  When was the meeting where they appointed you as spokesperson?  My invitation must have been lost in the post.

just so you know, wanting to see a human head mounted on a pike in public in the twenty first century makes you one of "the extremists"

WOW...you sure are full of yourself aren't you??   ::)

No one said I spoke for everyone, but as someone who was there (thank you)--I have the RIGHT to speak...

• Heart...Captured
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 02:53:27 PM »
WOW...you sure are full of yourself aren't you??   ::)

No one said I spoke for everyone, but as someone who was there (thank you)--I have the RIGHT to speak...

Because only people who were physically present in NYC at the time were affected or have the right to speak.  Being there somehow makes your opinion have more weight than others.

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 02:55:14 PM »
No one said I spoke for everyone

Well, except for that part where you did.  You said "For those of us who lived through 9/11 and the atrocities associated to Bin Laden prior to that, it's a great day"

That's speaking "for those of us who lived through 9/11"

but as someone who was there (thank you)--I have the RIGHT to speak...

Obviously you have the right to speak.  Equally obviously you don't have the right to speak "for those of us who lived through 9/11"

Sponsored Links