Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Don't even know where to begin  (Read 4263 times)

• Banned

• Writer, married, semi-employed, and sorta happy...
  • Liked: 4
Re: Don't even know where to begin
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 08:33:38 PM »
I'm sorry! I could not remember the spelling, and I couldn't remember if it was an I or a Y, so, I just left it out!

I apologise historyenne!
“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Married 04/13/11, in NYC.
Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!
Arrived in the UK 05/20/11.
I took the stupid LIUK Test Oct. 2012.
We were granted ILR In Person in Croydon on 04/23/13.
Got BRP 2 days later, in mail box - it just appeared.

NEXT: The lil' red passpo

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 08:43:53 PM »
I think that when I applied for jobs for the very first time after university, I was really proud of where I went (not that I'm not now) and thought everyone would be impressed. Nobody really cared. Not about where I went and certainly not about a GPA (we didn't have them, anyway). And now that I'm in my 40s, I'd think it absolutely ludicrous if anyone asked about my education. Experience is what counts. Of course your education is on your CV, but I'd be surprised if anyone mentioned it when you go to a job interview.

(Some fields are different, of course. I'm speaking generally.)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 08:46:22 PM »
Quite a lot of places near where I live ask for your schools going back to age 12.   ::)

Quite clearly they are seeing if you went to a public school, but no I didn't and I am sure no one cares I went to Raub.

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 08:52:14 PM »
I think that when I applied for jobs for the very first time after university, I was really proud of where I went (not that I'm not now) and thought everyone would be impressed. Nobody really cared. Not about where I went and certainly not about a GPA (we didn't have them, anyway). And now that I'm in my 40s, I'd think it absolutely ludicrous if anyone asked about my education. Experience is what counts. Of course your education is on your CV, but I'd be surprised if anyone mentioned it when you go to a job interview.

(Some fields are different, of course. I'm speaking generally.)

Exactly this! I went to an Ivy League school too and no one has even asked me about it  since I was 22 and I'm only 28. They only care about what I have done professionally and rightfully so. I think the problem may be Laramascara in thinking that they should care.

• Banned

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 08:53:55 PM »
It depends on the sort of positions one is applying for - I have submitted my transcripts for jobs.
“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 11:19:13 PM »
Now I don't even know where to begin with replies, haha. Oh my god! WOW! You guys are SO awesome. I had no idea this would get so many responses, thanks so much for all the information, (especially you there LaraMascara, your first post was amazing.) I will definitely weigh and consider everyone's input. I probably will have to check out the little study abroad options more thoroughly, I really shouldn't pass them up considering they are covered by the state and I would get an idea how it'd be.. going to a uni there. I'm not sure if my wanted occupation is on the shortage list, but, I'm not going to change a career based on the list considering what PlainPearl said was very wise. It could change at anytime after all. I want to be a speech pathologist and if it's not on the list then that's alright since I feel like it's something I'd love to do. :)

My boyfriend and I are planning on getting married next time he is here.. which may or may not be relatively soon. Our relationship is pretty solid so I was wondering, if I finished up my entire schooling over here (let's just SAY) and then I wanted to move there to be with him, would that mean my entire schooling means nothing? Or would it depend on the school? Sorry if these are obvious questions but I sincerely have no clue.

Back to the OP:  Mandy, study abroad programs vary greatly between schools.  Is there someone you can speak to at the Community College you are looking into?  That would be your best bet.

Hey there, chose to answer you first since I don't have a lot of time to reply to everyone. I haven't checked with anyone there yet about the program. I don't want to look like a whacko walking in college and sitting down and saying, "So how about them study abroad programmes?" lol. I just wanted to see the steps here first.
It's embarrassing to say, but I don't even know that much about college and the in's and out's of it since I was taken out of school at a very young age so I never really learned what I'm supposed to do. No one in my family has gone to higher education besides my mother (who basically lived in school for 8 years and never went anywhere with her schooling) but she isn't exactly the best person to ask for advice from and, athem, that's why I ask you guys. Much more reliable.
As a result of being abruptly removed from school I just have no clue how student loans work, how they work programs, how credits work and... yeah, just embarrassing. I just posted this to get an idea of what I'd have to do, if you see what I mean? I will most definitely get more information on this whole study abroad thing once I'm enrolled in the college though.

/Edit: I'm going through these messages now that I have the time to look! Just going to post in this message because I don't want to spam.

I'm sure this has a lot to do with one's field (and Mandy, I am sorry, I dont know anything about the speech therapy field, but I know someone who is a speech therapist in the UK if you wanted to PM any questions and I could ask her).  I work in non-profit, and of the 12-15 or so interviews I attended here, not one asked me specifics about my education. My experience has always been that as long as you have a degree, your professional experience and passion for what you do is what counts.
Ah! I'd be very appreciative if you would do that! It'd mean a lot to me! Thank you very much for that. Will definitely PM you later today. :)

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 03:17:36 AM by MandyBoo »

• Banned

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2012, 08:09:17 AM »
Mandyboo, i sent you a PM on here... xoxoxoxooxoxo.

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2012, 08:16:21 AM »
if I finished up my entire schooling over here (let's just SAY) and then I wanted to move there to be with him, would that mean my entire schooling means nothing? Or would it depend on the school? Sorry if these are obvious questions but I sincerely have no clue.

You said you had been in contact with some people at the UEA? They may be a good first port of call for those kind of questions.

In general, I don't think it is the university that is the issue. Or the degree per se. It is what employers in the fields here are looking for. So another place to look would be job specs of the jobs you would like to be doing here and see what they are looking for in their graduate employees. There you can find out if the US qualifications will be a help or a hinderence. Sometimes they are looking for experience as well or certain certificates/qualifications. You won't know until you take a look. ;)
August 2008 - Tier 4 - Student Visa
February 2010 - Tier 1 - PSW
January 2012 - FLR(M)
June 2014 - ILR (finally!)

• Liked: 2
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2012, 10:00:26 PM »
Mandyboo, i sent you a PM on here... xoxoxoxooxoxo.

I replied! I hope you got it back, thank you so much! xxxx

You said you had been in contact with some people at the UEA? They may be a good first port of call for those kind of questions.

In general, I don't think it is the university that is the issue. Or the degree per se. It is what employers in the fields here are looking for. So another place to look would be job specs of the jobs you would like to be doing here and see what they are looking for in their graduate employees. There you can find out if the US qualifications will be a help or a hinderence. Sometimes they are looking for experience as well or certain certificates/qualifications. You won't know until you take a look. ;)

I think I will start talking to UEA again. Hopefully they'll be able to help. Thanks so much for the reply and tips I appreciate it! :)

Sponsored Links