Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Name Changing  (Read 6236 times)

• British by descent
  • Liked: 3
Re: Name Changing
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
Do I get extra feminist points because we both plan to change our names to a new name? Clearly that's the mostest feminist thing to do. ::)

I never planned to change my name to match my husband's, for feminist reasons and because I'd want to like the new name better than my own (which, granted, is awkward, but at least I've always had this awkward last name). Given that DF also has a rather awkward last name, we both liked the idea of doing a new name together, and at least then we both go through the hassle of name-changing (which seems less convoluted here in the UK, bonus). I'm sure people will still assume that I took his name, but if they're going to judge me based on that (in a positive or negative way) I probably don't want to know about it anyway.

We're not having kids, so that's not an issue. I do like the idea of sharing a name - the fact that we both get to pick a new name together, and avoid (most of) the dynamics of which name "wins", just makes it extra cool. I think if we had vanilla last names, though, we wouldn't bother.
Moved to London February 5, 2010

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 04:47:07 PM »
I still probably wouldn't because I really do agree with the idea that it's silly to give up your life-long identity when you marry.

And I suppose my feeling is that it doesn't matter which name I choose as my identity is more than a name. For me, my husband's name is easier to pronounce, easier to spell and doesn't mean getting funny looks when going through immigration in airports (my maiden name is Muslim).
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 12
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 05:04:42 PM »
I wasn't going to change my name (this was back in the '70's) but then I thought my right to live in the UK is based on being married so it might be easier in the long run if I took his name  :P I never had a middle name so I use my maiden name in that way (but get annoyed when people try to hyphenate it)
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 06:32:40 PM »
Screw it. I'm changing my name to Princess Consuela Banana-Hammock.  ;)

• Snaps
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 06:37:44 PM »
I'm going with Anastasia Beaverhausen.

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 06:51:47 PM »

I like it. :) Does the identity come with lots of pills and martinis?

• Liked: 585
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 06:56:49 PM »
Mmmmm... pills & martinis.  [smiley=dead.gif]

• Liked: 223
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 06:57:23 PM »
Screw it. I'm changing my name to Princess Consuela Banana-Hammock.  ;)

Oh!  I haven't seen Friends in FOREVER!!!!!  :)  It kind of got replaced with Big Bang Theory when I'd seen all the episodes...... 20 times over.  :P  hehehehe

I do love the sound of Princess Consuela Banana-Hammock.  :)  Has a nice ring to it.  :)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 07:06:25 PM »
I guess what the article is asking is that if having the same family last name is so important, why don't men ever change their names? Why is it always the woman by default who does so, and as a result losing part of her identity that she's had her whole life?
Because we essentially live in a patriarchial world.  There is some evidence that there were matriarchial peoples in prehistory, but much of the world has developed along patriarchial lines. 

It can be part of your ethnic heritage, but only half.
Hmmm.  You're right, didn't think of it that way as my heritage is the same on both sides, but yeah  good point.

I didn't like that article... particularly how she seemed to be suggesting that anyone who takes their husband's name because they like the name better, is somehow deluded.  ::)

I took my husband's very Scottish (with a whole huge history behind it) name because I had always hated my ugly-sounding and hard to spell family name.  And also because, living in Scotland, I fancied having a Scottish surname.
I almost changed my maiden name to my now ex's last name because it is Irish and I loved all things Irish and played Irish music.  I thought it would be cool.  But in the end I didn't.  Now I have a Scottish name.
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Snaps
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2013, 07:20:27 PM »
I like it. :) Does the identity come with lots of pills and martinis?

Mmmmm... pills & martinis.  [smiley=dead.gif]

;D

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 07:23:48 PM »
IMO the only way a name can really be representative of your identity is if you choose it for yourself.  In some cultures they do that, I always thought it was a great idea.  I changed the spelling of my first name when I was 16, and even though it seems like a small thing it made a big difference to how I saw myself and consequently to how I behaved.  Likewise, when I had the chance to change my surname via marriage, I took that chance.  Now I have a name I'm completely happy with, one I chose for myself.  Surely that's a feminist victory?

Now, if my husband and I ever split up, I might choose a completely new surname.  Why not?

On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 07:46:03 PM »

;D

So, not Crap Bag then?

• Liked: 585
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 10:37:24 PM »
IMO the only way a name can really be representative of your identity is if you choose it for yourself.  

yep.  that's what I did.

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 03:52:14 AM »
My boy offered to change his name to mine if I wanted him to, I thought the whole idea of changing either of our names was ridiculous.

I didn't change my name because
1. I am Irish/Asian, it's faintly rare and I like that I keep part of that rather mixed heritage with me.
2. I don't like his surname as much as mine
3. I'm bloody lazy.

I agree with Historyenne wholeheartedly, feminism is about the right to choose to do whatever the hell  you want to do without being judged for it, I've certainly not judged any of my friends who have changed their names, as long as they *wanted* to, if they didn't or felt pressured into it, then I would be supportive.

Just FYI, I've had WAY more flack in the US for not changing than the UK, no one noticed/cared that I didn't change my name in the UK, whereas my US inlaws?! Jeebus. 

• Liked: 0
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2013, 04:26:06 AM »
All of the worried threads here about passports and plane tickets in maiden names instead of married names have put me off from ever changing my name. Can't say it's for feminist reasons, just laziness  :-*
09/29/09--Visa Approved!
10/05/09--Leave for the UK!!!
06/15/12--Back in the US indefinitely...

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab