Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: British Bar in Brooklyn Accused of Discrimination  (Read 3406 times)

• Banned

• Writer, married, semi-employed, and sorta happy...
  • Liked: 4
Re: British Bar in Brooklyn Accused of Discrimination
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 09:44:49 PM »
OK, it is sort of odd that you are asking me about that, as it is a bit personal, but... My parents were not married, and his name was not on my birth certificate.

::)
“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Married 04/13/11, in NYC.
Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!
Arrived in the UK 05/20/11.
I took the stupid LIUK Test Oct. 2012.
We were granted ILR In Person in Croydon on 04/23/13.
Got BRP 2 days later, in mail box - it just appeared.

NEXT: The lil' red passpo

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 07:44:00 AM »
OK, it is sort of odd that you are asking me about that, as it is a bit personal, but... My parents were not married, and his name was not on my birth certificate.

::)

Why is it odd? It's a very common question here on the forum - in fact, it's one of the first questions that gets asked of people who are enquiring about visas:

'Were either of your parents born in the UK or another EU country? Because if they were, you may be a UK/EU citizen already and so won't need a visa to move to the UK'

You were the one who mentioned he was from Northern Ireland, which is something that is automatically going to raise questions regarding a possible claim to UK/Irish citizenship, so you can't expect not to be asked about it. All you had to say was that you looked into it but unfortunately it turned out that you weren't able to claim UK or Irish citizenship through your father. If it's too personal a subject for you, and you aren't prepared for people to be curious about it, then why make a point of telling us about your British father and his English/Irish pubs?

• Banned

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 08:07:22 AM »
"then why make a point of telling us about your British father and his English/Irish pubs?" - Because it DID relate to the topic we were talking about, and MY citizenship DID NOT relate to what we were talking about.

Anyway, question answered. Moving right along...  ;)
“It was when I realised I had a new nationality: I was in exile. I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other. I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.” ― Suketu Mehta.

Applied for Spouse Visa the following week, with express service, and I was approved 4 days later!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 08:18:02 AM »
Many of my dad's staff were undocumented. It was totally normal. Many places hire undocumented workers 'based on nationality of origin' in NYC. I'm only going back two years, so this is not some sort of 'old times' thing!

I'm not saying this doesn't happen, nor am I saying that employers don't get away with it on many occasions, but it is illegal. And I'm not sure why you'd announce your father's illegal hiring practices on a public forum.

???
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Banned

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 08:30:03 AM »
Excuse me... Why are you asking me why I say that?

Just looking to 'get some judgement in' on a sunny Sunday morning?

I said it because I felt like it, and because it is a fact.

I know I fascinate you, but, really... The topic being discussed by everyone else on the thread is much more interesting to many people... than I am to you!

I mean, flattering and all, and thanks and all, but, back to topic, eh?

So, anyway, about pubs in NYC...  ;D

oxoxooxxxooooxoxoxox

• Banned

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 08:38:13 AM »
I have been laughing with my husband for the last five minutes over that comment, because MY FATHER was 'illegal' and owned multiple businesses with Legal Irish Immigrants, in NYC, for most of his life.

He came to NYC 'illegally' in 1964, and he died in 2011, and he was only 'Legal' for like the last 6 years he was there!!!!

And, he worked the entire time. And he built up several businesses, and he was successful in his field, and well respected, and he totally hired undocumented Irish people. And undocumented Mexicans. And French... Whomever.

So, yeah, I got no dogs in that fight, nor did he - And, I don't care if someone hires people illegally at all. Never have, never will.

That is how I feel, and I don't care if anyone disagrees with it!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 09:12:56 AM by LaraMascara »

• Snaps
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 09:38:56 AM »
That is how I feel, and I don't care if anyone disagrees with it!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Fine. I was just thinking you might want to edit your post. Your choice. I didn't realise your father was no longer around.

I am not fascinated by you. Why do you keep saying that? Does this mean that every time I post to this forum I'm fascinated by the person to whom I'm responding? What is wrong with you?

• Banned

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 10:00:53 AM »
Ok chary, you are so cute!  ;D

OK, don't worry about me honey, because I am a big girl, and I can totally handle posting the comments of my choice on this forum without your assistance, but again, you are adorable, thank you!

xoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxxoxoxoxoxoxoxxox o

Have a Sunny Sunday!!!! 

• Snaps
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 10:16:59 AM »
Look. This is getting ridiculous. It's to the point now where I feel I can't comment on a damned thing you say ever because I always get this sort of self-absorbed, nonsensical ranting in response.

• Banned

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 10:18:25 AM »
I'm sorry you feel that way Chary. Are you having a bad day?

• Liked: 1
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2013, 10:46:45 AM »
No offense, Chary, but if you know you’re just going to get a “self-absorbed, nonsensical, ranting in response” from Lara then why did you initiate a controversial debate with her?  ??? Clearly, you’ve gone against your better judgement and it seems it was because you wanted to create some drama. :-\\\\

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2013, 11:23:02 AM »
Maybe she was hoping Lara would respond like everyone else normally does?

• Banned

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2013, 11:39:32 AM »
Hmmmm, I should 'respond like everyone else normally does'?

Is that a board rule? Like... how should I respond?

Maybe with judgement, and criticism, and bullying, and a few passive aggressive accusations?

Some people on here sometimes respond like that.

Nope. Not my style.

I am me. I think how I think, and I respond how I want too, and I've not broken any rules, or attacked anyone, or gone out of my way to be nasty to anyone for no reason, or passed judgement on anyone, or attempted to have anyone gang-up on a thread together and bully another member, so what is the problem?

If you dislike what I say, or my communication style, simply based on personal preference, that is fine - Simply do not communicate with me.

But, I don't really think certain people on the board should go out of their way to regularly provoke people, like, for sport. And then claim they are a victim when the person who is provoked is forced to defend themselves, again, and again, and again.

I don't think it is allowed.

Play nice. Get along. Or avoid drama. Whatever.

• Snaps
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2013, 11:50:42 AM »
No offense, Chary, but if you know you’re just going to get a “self-absorbed, nonsensical, ranting in response” from Lara then why did you initiate a controversial debate with her?  ??? Clearly, you’ve gone against your better judgement and it seems it was because you wanted to create some drama. :-\\\\

Sorry, Pearl, but you're completely out of line here. I didn't initiate a controversial debate by any stretch of the imagination - I offered advice. You just don't post something about law-breaking on a public forum, whether it's hiring undocumented employees, downloading illegal TV shows or trying to fool immigration. You don't do it. Of course, people have done it before, without knowing any better, and it's always pointed out. Mostly, those people then edit their posts.

Just add me to the ever-growing list of people putting Lara on block.

• Banned

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2013, 12:06:21 PM »
chary, I'm a grown woman, and I can post and/or discuss that an unnamed dead man hired undocumented workers in a large American city.

It is OK. Really it is.

I'm OK, and I don't need advice from you on how to conduct myself socially, or on this board.

Thanks for caring so much, and so deeply, and so often, about me, and what I say on here every time I post, chary. You are really sweet. Thank you so very much. It is very flattering to know that you care so much!!!

Oh, and... Pearl is OK too! She understands that unsolicited advice is a form of criticism. Sometimes people have more advanced understandings of things than others have, and that is OK too.

After all, we are all a work in progress, and we all must learn to give people the space to... progress. In their own time. So, I would not expect everyone to be in the same place, as far as understanding things goes...

Anyway, if I need or want advice, which I sometimes do, specifically about things related to immigration, being an expat, or life in the UK in general, I will be sure, as I have always done in the past, to *clearly ask* for it!

xoxoxooxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 12:08:58 PM by LaraMascara »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab