Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Just have vent-moving here has changed everything I thought about America!  (Read 11107 times)

• Liked: 2
Re: Just have vent-moving here has changed everything I thought about America!
« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2015, 06:52:51 PM »
historyenne, ... What are you doing on a forum called the Airing Cupboard judging other expats whom you have never met and whose interactions with others you have never observed in person? Nowhere has Lala stated that EVERY interaction with EVERY Brit in London or the UK has been negative. She stated that some of her co-workers and a noticeable number of other Brits are prone to expressing negative, stereotyped opinions about the U.S. or Americans out loud. It's not just her imagination and your constant pushing of the "theory" that she's an a**hole is not really helpful.

Anti-americanism is so real a "thing" that books have been written about it, such as:

Coping with Anti-Americanism: A Guide for Study Abroad Students
http://amzn.com/1597974099

The more classic, bestselling book by Frenchman Jean Francois Revel
http://amzn.com/159403060X

You could have first asked Lala to describe the former interactions with her co-workers to suss out whether Lala may have triggered some defensiveness or anger in them instead of assuming that gosh she was the cause of it.

It could be that her co-workers are simply venting over things they can't control in their lives (e.g. work hours, salary, rent, SO issues) by focusing all their ire on one target - talking shoot about Americans maybe because they have an American boss, as Lala said.

I think expats like Lala should feel safe expressing their complaints on a forum like this without someone telling them it's all probably their fault. I'm not calling *you* an a**hole, but if it talks, walks, and looks like an a**hole, it probably is. (Not helpful to Lala)

(Edited to remove personal attacks)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 11:12:55 PM by Leah »

Sponsored Links