Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The 2015 Christmas menu thread  (Read 2018 times)

• Liked: 585
The 2015 Christmas menu thread
« on: December 13, 2015, 10:44:34 AM »
My attempt at getting a Thanksgiving food thread going was an abject failure... will this one go the same way?

We'd initially planned to get a prime rib of beef for Christmas day... until I saw the price!  :o

We've downgraded to the porchetta  from Asda

with cornbread, roast spuds & carrots, and sprouts sliced thin and sautéed in butter with bacon, onion and chestnuts.  King prawn cocktail for a starter, and gingerbread cheesecake for pud.  It's just the 2 of us, so hopefully there will be plenty leftovers for Boxing Day.

• It's an adventure now.
  • Liked: 30
Re: The 2015 Christmas menu thread
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 10:50:01 AM »
We always do a grilled filet of beef on the grill, this recipe. Have already picked up the beef at Costco. I did debate getting the whole thing from www.cookfood.net but just didn't fancy turkey.

Sides are green beans in a vinaigrette with bacon dressing, cauliflower cheese, roast potatoes, Yorkshires, pigs in blankets and stuffing balls.

There's a cheese plate and I'm making this lemon meringue thing I saw Nigella making for dessert...we'll see how that goes.

We've got some guests coming over from the US to spend the holiday with us so it's going to be a good time! :D

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 11:26:20 AM »
Typical British roast turkey accompanied by roast potatoes, roast parsnips, carrots and sprouts, stuffing, apple sauce, gravy, sausages in bacon. Followed by, hours later after TV watching, Christmas pudding and clotted cream.

Leftovers will be served up and enjoyed by the two of us for days, to include sandwiches, pie, curry and soup.

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 12:25:31 PM »
just didn't fancy turkey.

Yeah, same... neither of us really like it.

Sides are green beans in a vinaigrette with bacon dressing, cauliflower cheese, roast potatoes, Yorkshires, pigs in blankets and stuffing balls.

Oh, I forgot we are having pigs in blankets as well... they're in the freezer just now.  Also got some cranberry sauce and apple sauce.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 08:24:38 PM »
I didn't do Thanksgiving this year, but I'll contribute to Christmas :)

When I was growing up, we always had roast beef and yorkshire pudding at Christmas, but DH says that's just Sunday lunch, so for the past few years we've done venison. This year I think I'll try my hand at a venison Wellington with celeriac puree, braised cavolo nero and roast potatoes. Dessert will be stollen made with cranberries--I hate raisins, so Christmas cake, pudding, and mince pies are all out.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 9
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 09:44:40 PM »
We will most likely do our usual ham and trimmings. Hubs doesn't like turkey (I adore it), and my family's tradition has always been ham. As far as the plan is now, it will be ham, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, his icky brussels sprouts, sweet potato for me, and anything else we might think of.

I haven't really thought about desserts yet, We brought some mince pies back, and we will add another one or two with them.

We usually make enough for a couple days of leftovers while we are at it for Christmas as well as Thanksgiving.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 10:39:28 PM »
I can't believe I forgot to list grandma's sage and onion dressing to the list. That is a yearly must have.

I bought the ham yesterday. It is huge for two people, but the plan is to cut it into meal for two sized pieces and freeze the biggest part of it. We can most likely get 10 meals out if it, more if we think correct portions instead of our love of ham.

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 4993
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 08:27:42 AM »
We recently moved and my parents are in town, so we are hosting Christmas at our house for the first time.  My mother-in-law is the world's best cook, and I REFUSE to follow her act so my husband is doing the cooking.  I'll do the turkey (that I can do), but he's going to do roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, sprouts, parsnips, and carrots.  I'm also going to do a green bean casserole and corn pudding.  My in-laws will be horrified by those dishes but the Americans at the table can enjoy them!  I'm doing a pumpkin pie for dessert.

We always go to my husband's cousin's house for Boxing Day.  I don't think I'll ever understand the Boxing Day food.  Every year we are in charge of "meat".  I don't understand why there is no bread to make sandwiches!!   :P

• Liked: 533
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 09:52:38 AM »
corn pudding

That stuff....later on when it has set up for a while in the refrigerator...oh my...
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 03:35:50 PM »
That stuff....later on when it has set up for a while in the refrigerator...oh my...

I know!  Totally better the next day.  My husband doesn't like it.  One of his best qualities!!!   ;D

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 11:37:20 PM »
I'm also going to do a green bean casserole and corn pudding.  My in-laws will be horrified by those dishes but the Americans at the table can enjoy them! 

My first Thanksgiving in the UK, hubby's family hosted a meal for me, and did it more or less as a Sunday roast. I brought the green bean casserole and my grandma's recipe sage and onion dressing. No one but hubby and MIL tried them. Hubby already loved both, from his 4 1/2 years in the States, and MIL liked them, but the others had that 'look' on their faces when they looked at them, and politely declined them. That just left more for hubby and me to enjoy over the next 3 days.

― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 56
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 12:31:14 AM »
Its just us again this year unfortunately due to some really crap timing regarding a rescinded job offer for the bf along with his current employer's stringent rules on coverage over Christmas (although he is the only non-Brit on the team and thus has to travel out of the country to be with family at the holidays).  It's been rough accepting we have to be alone again this year, so we are trying to make the most of it.

We are having similar to last year with a few changes.  Beef Wellington, garlic mashed potatoes, simple spinach salad with candied pecans, feta, and dried cranberries, shallot and red wine reduction sauce, onion marmalade, and spiced vanilla poached pears for dessert.  I had a buddy at work who is in to wine select a very nice red for dinner, and a good-value champagne for mimosas in the morning.  We also throw a few Swedish foods in, including aquavit throughout the meal, herring as part of cocktail hour, and the special Christmas krispbrod on the table.

I haven't had to cook a turkey in two years and it feels great! :D

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 08:49:20 AM »
I am now thinking of adding sweet potato casserole.  I haven't had that in YEARS!

• Liked: 5
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 12:24:55 PM »
I can't believe I forgot to list grandma's sage and onion dressing to the list. That is a yearly must have.

I bought the ham yesterday. It is huge for two people, but the plan is to cut it into meal for two sized pieces and freeze the biggest part of it. We can most likely get 10 meals out if it, more if we think correct portions instead of our love of ham.

What kind of ham did you get TamaMoo? I'm a Scot but spent 22 years in the US and now I'm not sure of what to buy to get a similar flavour to the typical USA ham served up at Christmas, should it be smoked gammon? Unsmoked? Help!! lol  :D
Type of visa applied for: Spouse/settlement Non Priority (my husband from Norfolk, VA)
Online Application Submitted: 14th Oct 2015
Biometrics Taken: 19th Oct 2015
Applications Mailed: 21st Oct, 2015
Package Received in Sheffield: 23rd Oct, 2015
Email confirming receipt of documents: 5th November, 2015
Upgraded to Priority Processing: 27 Nov 2015
Date Sheffield emailed to confirm decision has been made: 8 Dec, 2015
Passport with Visa received 14 December, 2015
Online application for FLR(M) 29 August 2018
Application apprvd 11 Oct 1018

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 09:04:05 PM »
We are having similar to last year with a few changes.  Beef Wellington, garlic mashed potatoes, simple spinach salad with candied pecans, feta, and dried cranberries, shallot and red wine reduction sauce, onion marmalade, and spiced vanilla poached pears for dessert.  I had a buddy at work who is in to wine select a very nice red for dinner, and a good-value champagne for mimosas in the morning.  We also throw a few Swedish foods in, including aquavit throughout the meal, herring as part of cocktail hour, and the special Christmas krispbrod on the table.

Your menu sounds lush, Bertine!

Sponsored Links