Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UKY Exchange Library?  (Read 3150 times)

• Liked: 24
UKY Exchange Library?
« on: May 10, 2003, 07:44:30 PM »
I had an idea for a book exchange library for regular site members, one where we'd build a list of books that we have that we're willing to share with other members, on loan or on donation to the library itself. I have a few books that would go in.

I found a management utility to put on the server which is specificly for lending libraries, you reserve items, it knows who has the items, etc. A bonus is that it's not limited to books, but could also include music, videos, games, etc.

Before I/we put in the work to set this thing up, I want to get some feedback. I personally thought this would be a brilliant idea. Those library members would only need to be willing to post the items to the next person.

There would be a requirement of status to be a member. We wouldn't want to loan our books to just anyone would we. Possibly groupies and above.

Any interest here or thoughts to add? :)

I've asked about this previously, not much response then, double checking now, I realize a lot of people don't check this board, because interest in some things is larger than the response posted here. :)

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
Re: UKY Exchange Library?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2003, 10:32:29 PM »
I think that's a great idea. Jon is always complaining that I need to join the library, he hates that I have to buy every book I want to read. (I just like to build up a selection, he doesn't understand)

I'll go along with it.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2003, 06:46:33 PM »
It's a good idea, but i wouldnt use it myself.  I'd be too worried about things going missing in the post.

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2003, 07:14:11 PM »
I think it's a great idea, I'm assuming it's only for those in the UK?
If so, it will unfortunately have to wait a bit for me and my endless collection of books.  (I'm serious here, we have 6 overflowing bookcases in our house, with more books anywhere we can fit them.)

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2003, 08:27:51 PM »
Yes, it would be restricted to those in the UK I'm afraid. It would be too expensive to be posting books via airmail all of the time, and the risk of loss is a bit higher I imagine. :-/

I've never had anything go missing in the post here, there is also the option of sending things by recorded delivery, if there were those that wanted this used for the loan of their books/items, then it could be required for those particular items. :)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2003, 08:29:34 PM by admin »

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2003, 09:38:45 PM »
:D
Sounds like an excellent idea to me! I read like crazy (I've been working in bookshops for 8 years...oh dear hehe) with tons of books I've aquired already in the year & a half I've been here & 10 boxes of books in storage waiting to come over this autumn!

count me in!

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2003, 09:50:05 PM »
Cool, I was only after a handful of people to be interested, looks like we've nearly got that, and that's good enough for me. Like I said, people end up being interested long after I've asked about it, lol. ;)

btw, welcome jennydee. :)

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2003, 03:00:29 PM »
Sounds interesting, tho I wouldn't really have anything to contribute at the moment.  Been busy reading all my MiL's books.  I only own a few now.   :'(

I need to get a better paying job so I can book shop!  ;D
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2003, 03:11:02 PM »
:D Thanks for the welcome, Leah!

I was just looking again at your original post and realised that since I'm still at a newbie status, I might not be eligible for a while- oops! Does the status change after a certain number of posts?

Btw, Wench- try *not* to get a bookshop job...it's just far too tempting  ;) I'm afraid I can nearly justify *every* book purchase because of my staff discount hehe Thank goodness for advanced reader copies, though!! What sort of things do you like to read? I can keep you in mind when I see some good free stuff!  :D

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Wenchstead
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2003, 03:49:30 PM »
Jenny, I like to read darn near anything, tho particularly Sci-fi / fantasy (like I said already lol).

Tell me about bookshop jobs lol!  Dad used to own a few comic book stores.  I sooo would love that...a comic book/regular book store...and mine all mine.  

**drools over dream job for awhile**

yup, your status goes up after a certain number of posts...and holy smokes, I finally made goldmember today!  w0000t!  :D

BTW, I cannot reccomend this book enough, it's called The Saving Graces by Patricia Gaffney.  Not my usual read, but got it free with She magazine (which is actually quite good btw).  I now need to get my butt down to our skanky local library and see if they have any of her other books.  :)

wench
(still avoiding putting normal clothes on and going to the gym lol)

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2003, 07:07:22 PM »
Anybody have any thoughts on a book club?

Might be fun, to read and discuss one book, or just be able to give recommendations and thoughts on our favorite books.

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2003, 01:18:55 PM »
The Big Read was on last night and they kept recommending setting up a book club. I  kept thinking how great that would be. Could we do something like that? Have a book club online? Meet in chat once a month or something?

[smiley=tiny.gif]

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Wenchstead
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2003, 02:52:32 AM »
I'd love to do a book club!  Quick, make a book club thread!   [smiley=deal2.gif]
Please oh please???

We could nominate books or something?  Dunno never been in one, but it's always sounded like fun.

(rereads her last few posts....ye gods I've turned into an old woman.  well at least I'm eccentric in my dotage.  ;D)
wench

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2003, 09:25:17 PM »
I'd love to do a book club!  Quick, make a book club thread!   [smiley=deal2.gif]
Please oh please???

We could nominate books or something?  Dunno never been in one, but it's always sounded like fun.

(rereads her last few posts....ye gods I've turned into an old woman.  well at least I'm eccentric in my dotage.  ;D)
wench

[smiley=hug.gif]

If you're old then I am too.

Although I feel like a child cause rereading this thread I kept thinking "oooh.... can we can we can we... pleeeeeeease?"

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Wenchstead
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2003, 11:55:50 AM »
Although I feel like a child cause rereading this thread I kept thinking "oooh.... can we can we can we... pleeeeeeease?"

LOL!  Yeah that's how I feel about it too.  :D
wench

Sponsored Links