Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Using Tide detergent?  (Read 3851 times)

• Liked: 3
Using Tide detergent?
« on: April 05, 2017, 12:03:13 PM »
Does anyone have any experience using American Tide detergent in a British machine?  Are ours considered to be what are referred to as "HE" machines back in the states (stands for high efficiency).  The Tide website and other forums claim that if you use normal tide in an HE machine, due to the tumbling action of the clothes, it creates more suds and you chance flooding/breaking the machine.

Any tips?  Should I use the HE Tide?

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
Re: Using Tide detergent?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 07:44:20 PM »
Hi I basically switched to a U.K. Brand fairy as its easier to find and never came across that concern !
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Liked: 537
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 07:57:06 PM »
Hi I basically switched to a U.K. Brand fairy as its easier to find and never came across that concern !

I wish we had tide I used it for spot treatment. We use Persil laundry pods. You'll find a lot of people use bio detergents over here.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 07:58:55 PM »
I use Costco own brand which I think might be just like Tide.  It's blue anyways.   ;D

• Liked: 20
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 08:35:22 PM »
I heard that Dax is Tide. I bought some, doesn't have the fresh scent. I like Persia liquid. Still don't know the difference between bio and non

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 08:39:14 PM »
I heard that Dax is Tide. I bought some, doesn't have the fresh scent. I like Persia liquid. Still don't know the difference between bio and non

Darn spellcheck. Daz. Is Tide

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 08:26:36 AM »

Has to do with the enzymes and how "harsh" the detergent is.

Think of it as non-bio being appropriate for stains that are not bodily fluids (including animals).  So grass, dirt, general smelliness.  And biological detergents can tackle blood, urine, poop, etc.

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 08:43:39 AM »
Thank you!

• Liked: 223
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 01:18:31 PM »
Has to do with the enzymes and how "harsh" the detergent is.

Think of it as non-bio being appropriate for stains that are not bodily fluids (including animals).  So grass, dirt, general smelliness.  And biological detergents can tackle blood, urine, poop, etc.

For the longest time, I assumed bio was somehow the organic version. ::)

I couldn't figure out why DH always wanted the non-bio one. ??? I figured it out eventually, but it definitely took awhile. We're talking years::)

This explanation makes perfect sense now. Thanks KFdancer!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 01:20:17 PM by TravelingFrog »
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 06:18:29 PM »
Bio detergent also has to be used in warmer water. 40°c or hotter, where as non-bio can be used in all temps.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 07:33:05 AM »
Thanks to all for the education! It has now only taken me 8 months lol. But I'll have to save this cause I'll forget! I'll never forget standing in the household goods section at Tesco, completely overwhelmed by all the "washing detergents" Was it just me, or do none of them say exactly what they wash?! Clothes, dishes, floors?  I think I ran laundry detergent in my dishwasher for a month or two

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 07:54:41 AM »
Here's a nice little explanation from Persil. 

What is the Difference Between Bio and Non-Bio?

The essential difference between bio and non-bio detergents is that bio detergents contain certain enzymes that are very effective at cleaning stains. These enzymes serve as a booster technology, designed to break down protein, starches, and fat that are often found in food stains, sweat and other common stains.

The enzymes also work at lower temperatures, so bio detergents are more effective at lower temperatures (30-50°C) than non-bio detergents. If you tend to wash at lower temperatures or use the quick wash cycle on your machine, bio detergents may work better for your family.

Then why use a non-bio detergent? Many people in the UK prefer to use a non-bio if they have particularly sensitive skin. Non-bio detergents contain no enzymes, so there is a reduced risk of irritating sensitive skin, although you may also need to run your wash at higher temperatures for enzymatic stains. This in turn consumes more energy.

https://www.persil.com/uk/laundry/laundry-tips/washing-tips/difference-bio-non-bio-detergent.html

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 08:50:42 AM »
Huh. Weird.

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 09:08:46 AM »
Right. I prefer to do a cold wash and bio detergents aren't good for cold, they don't work. Non-bio is recommended for that. I have a lot of darks and I prefer washing jeans and such on cold. At least in thr US i did. Jeans don't fit the same here at all. Drives me mental.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 09:48:45 AM »
You know what, I've lived in the UK my whole life and I've never bothered to look up the difference between bio and non-bio detergent :P. I don't even remember which one I currently have at home, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links