Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: TV thing in the wall....  (Read 4200 times)

• Liked: 672
TV thing in the wall....
« on: May 13, 2017, 09:32:10 PM »
Ok, there's this thing in the living room wall, has "sat 1, sat 2, TV, FM/DAB" outlets. I'm wondering if our building has a communal antenna up in the rafters somewhere? I've looked on google Earth and don't see anything on the roof.

I have emailed the letting agent, but that could take a while and I expect to hear that she doesn't know. The Daughter ordered a freeview-ready tv, but not an antenna. So, while we can stream ROKU onto it, we can't actually use it like a tv at present. Didn't come with an antenna cord.... I had brought various connectors, and the coax from home does not fit. This one seems to have a plug that is looking for a female connector at the TV and also at the wall (assuming one of those things is actually for an antenna).

Anyone ever seen an outlet like that? We're going to a big Tesco tomorrow so perhaps I'll see if there's a cable that might do. Worst case is that we have to buy a set-top antenna, i guess?

• Liked: 4985
Re: TV thing in the wall....
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 10:03:03 PM »
I asked my husband.  He suggested knocking on a neighbors door and asking them.  Could be your best bet unless someone here has experienced the same.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 10:27:13 PM by KFdancer »

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 10:11:03 PM »
Fortunately, the Tesco delivery guy left a package of our neighbor's with us when he delivered the TV. Said they were going to email the neighbor to say where the package was. SO when they come for it, we'll ask. (I tried to take it over, still nobody home there.)  Worst case, I'll be walking to the big Tesco tomorrow and if I find an appropriate cable I'll get it and bring it home to try. If it works, problem solved. Otherwise, I bet we need an antenna.

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 01:08:44 AM »
You probably need something like this

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 06:20:45 AM »
Yep, except the end that would connect to the wall appears to need a female plug. :)

• Liked: 533
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 09:36:25 AM »
Why, in a world where you can have ultrahighspeedsuperHD internet, is television still a thing of the 1950s? With antennas up on the roof and such? When a cloudy day means you can't watch the end of McGuiver?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 584
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 10:59:29 AM »
I've stayed in several different tenements in Glasgow, and they have all had communal aerials.  But I agree that your best bet would be to chap a neighbour's door and ask them... kills 2 birds with one stone:  you get your telly issue sorted out, and you get to meet a neighbour! :)

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 11:32:10 AM »
This one then, which comes in different lengths:

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 02:23:14 PM »
Why in the age of internet, etc?  Well, for starters, it's free.  ;D

No neighbors around this morning, so I picked up a short cable for around 6 pounds, brought it home, plugged it in, and now have 170 channels of Freeview. Wow. That's a LOT of channels. :o    ;D     ;D

And now to apply for the TV license.

• Im in love with a beautiful woman
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 11:48:36 AM »
Why in the age of internet, etc?  Well, for starters, it's free.  ;D

No neighbors around this morning, so I picked up a short cable for around 6 pounds, brought it home, plugged it in, and now have 170 channels of Freeview. Wow. That's a LOT of channels. :o    ;D     ;D

Just to let you know the two sat points are for sky or virgin media... The fancy boxes that record and let you watch something else at the same time require two satalite feeds from one dish... You probably have a dish on the outside of your wall and also a TV aerial in the loft.. the FM/am point is for hifi radios and gives a strong signal giving you great radio :)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

EDDDDDDDDDD

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 07:55:11 PM »
Hi, thanks!  No, no dishes on the outside, but the letting agent got back to me that there's a Sky dish in the rafters as well. With 170 channels free, I can't sort out why anyone would pay for more... but, to each their own!  That's cool about the radio, tho!

• Liked: 116
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 08:57:03 AM »
Hi, thanks!  No, no dishes on the outside, but the letting agent got back to me that there's a Sky dish in the rafters as well. With 170 channels free, I can't sort out why anyone would pay for more... but, to each their own!  That's cool about the radio, tho!

When you've seen every episode of Escape to the Country you'll know why  :P

...I need a job.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 10:09:18 AM »
Can you post a picture of it?? Might be easier for people to tell if they can physically see it.

As far as free-view, I'm definitely on board to a degree. We stream the majority of what we watch, but on weekends, if i just want background noise that I can half watch while eating breakfast/lunch (we are savages that don't eat at our dining table haha) I would love to just pop on free-view (maybe get some Jeremy Kyle on the go, eh?? LOL) vs starting up netflix or whatever and siting there choosing what I can put on that doesn't require much viewing effort. By that point I'm just hangry as I've got too much option and not enough food in my belly. I like having something I can just pop on and off instantly without caring if I see the end haha. I reserve proper viewings where I use streaming/etc. for the evenings.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 07:36:07 PM »

Just a heads up. The store are legally required to report any tv purchase to the licence people.  If you don't sort it out soon, they will come knocking and harass you about it

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 10:22:36 AM »
Just a heads up. The store are legally required to report any tv purchase to the licence people.  If you don't sort it out soon, they will come knocking and harass you about it

We cancelled our TV license as we don't even have freeview working. We just watch Netflix and Amazon Prime. We use catch-up apps RARELY (not iPlayer - just 40d and last night I used iTv for the first time in at LEAST a year). My coworker was telling me that they might still come after me and my husband and try to fine us for using ANY of the catch-up apps (but I read it only mattered for iplayer which is why they ask you if you've paid TV license at the beginning when you launch it) as she reckons we are meant to pay it even just owning a TV...but we honestly don't listen to radio (we use Spotify or cds or records - even in the car) and it's rare I even use a catch-up app anymore. Do you know if this is the case by any chance?
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab