Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Interesting hobbies (another pic thread)  (Read 6450 times)

• Liked: 1327
Re: Interesting hobbies (another pic thread)
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2018, 10:04:45 AM »

This would be me. Thanks.

Oh, sorry!  I read an article about air travel safety ages ago and took on board the advice about what to wear (*rimshot*).
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2018, 05:42:58 PM »
We went to Borough Market to celebrate St George's day and there was a group of Catalon people making human towers :

The kids on top were about 7 and absolutely fearless.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2018, 05:49:19 PM »
We went to Borough Market to celebrate St George's day and there was a group of Catalon people making human towers :

The kids on top were about 7 and absolutely fearless.

Haha why were they doing this?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2018, 07:06:26 PM »
Haha why were they doing this?!

Tradition!
It wasn't a spontaneous action by a drunken mob, they practice and really know what they are doing.  And have matching t shirts.  In Catalonia they have big festivals where they compete for the biggest tower and kids rain from the skies.

• Liked: 154
« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2018, 10:03:16 PM »

JF thought of you with this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omg we have a nicer pub (fancier than a pub but not a full blown restaurant) in town that has loads of board games to play. We often go grab coffees or drinks and play games for a few hours.  It’s great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 111
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2018, 12:02:04 AM »
Because an hour on a straight, multiple lane, wide easy road is simple, and an hour on a windy, narrow and/or single track road is hell.

Ain't that the truth!

I live in a far west Houston suburb called "Katy" and I recently drove the 150 miles to Austin to meet and have lunch with my cousin and then drove the 150 miles back the same afternoon. It's nothing to me. My husband and I operate businesses where we go all over the city doing events. Two weeks ago, I had to drive from Katy to the Woodlands in the northernmost suburb to Galveston Island in the south and back home in the west. That was around 225 miles on a Saturday. Throw in traffic and it was an all-day event. Remember that this is the same damn city.

The last time I was with my husband in England, he chose to rent a car (I insist on the train or stay in one city). All we wanted to do was go from one relative in Bolton to another in Wigan. Why is the world did it take 40 minutes?! It's only eleven miles! Then he had the wise ass idea to drive from Wigan to London Heathrow. It's only 200 miles but I gave up the will to live after the sixth hour in the car.

I don't blame a single person for not wanting to get out of their warm and cozy house in their warm and cozy jim-jams and go somewhere and "people" an hour away!

Stay home!

• Liked: 676
« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2018, 07:45:05 AM »
Oh, Heavens, is Katy a suburb of Houston now? I feel soooo old. Then again, I remember when places like Round Rock were not suburbs of Austin, before Austin began to mega-sprawl. I do miss the old Austin. It was like escaping having to live in Texas.  ;)

Yeah, I used to do 145 miles each way to get to the library, in Texas. Took me about two hours each way. Out in the great wide-open, window down, radio blaring, and a coke with lots of ice in-hand.  Driving in town anywhere is stressful. The last time I drove a car in the UK we picked it up at an airport near a little town called Barrow Gurney. Can't remember where the airport is, but I remember Barrow Gurney because it was the first time I'd driven in the UK and I was doing ok on the "wrong" side of the road when I came around a bend and there was a lstone building in the middle of the road! That was a first for me. And then there was driving in Wales, where there apparently is no need to put street signs up to tell you the name of the street you are on. I was so happy to find "the motorway" - except for needing to go to one place to drop the car off and having there be a large split in the motorway pointing to "the Midlands" and somewhere else, neither of which name I was familiar with, so it was a 50/50 on which way to go. (I picked the wrong one. Scenic, but the wrong one.) Especially enjoyed the truck stop, where all these big, burly trucker types were sitting politely drinking tea. Something incongruous about big burly guys and small, dainty teacups. Oh, well. They were very nice and gave us directions.

Will be trying for a license this summer, but not sure I really want to ever drive here again. It's mainly so if we go back to the States to visit I can still rent a car there.

« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2018, 09:00:45 AM »
Omg we have a nicer pub (fancier than a pub but not a full blown restaurant) in town that has loads of board games to play. We often go grab coffees or drinks and play games for a few hours.  It’s great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wish they'd put a nice once with decent games close to us but all the board game cafes are at least 1.5 - 2 hours away minimum from what I can tell and it's just not worth it when we have loads of games we can either play at home or take to a local pub near us and play haha
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #128 on: April 24, 2018, 09:01:11 AM »
Ain't that the truth!

I live in a far west Houston suburb called "Katy" and I recently drove the 150 miles to Austin to meet and have lunch with my cousin and then drove the 150 miles back the same afternoon. It's nothing to me. My husband and I operate businesses where we go all over the city doing events. Two weeks ago, I had to drive from Katy to the Woodlands in the northernmost suburb to Galveston Island in the south and back home in the west. That was around 225 miles on a Saturday. Throw in traffic and it was an all-day event. Remember that this is the same damn city.

The last time I was with my husband in England, he chose to rent a car (I insist on the train or stay in one city). All we wanted to do was go from one relative in Bolton to another in Wigan. Why is the world did it take 40 minutes?! It's only eleven miles! Then he had the wise ass idea to drive from Wigan to London Heathrow. It's only 200 miles but I gave up the will to live after the sixth hour in the car.

I don't blame a single person for not wanting to get out of their warm and cozy house in their warm and cozy jim-jams and go somewhere and "people" an hour away!

Stay home!

One of my American pals in Wokingham is from Katy and moving back this summer.   :D

« Reply #129 on: April 24, 2018, 09:02:49 AM »
One of my American pals in Wokingham is from Katy and moving back this summer.   :D

haha the second I saw "Katy" I was like NO WAY!
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 585
« Reply #130 on: April 24, 2018, 09:39:59 AM »

I live in a far west Houston suburb called "Katy"

A guy I grew up with in California now lives in Katy and has done for at least the past 20 years.  He's got a photo on FB of him with wife & kids, all wearing big red hoodies with KATY emblazoned in white across the fronts.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #131 on: April 24, 2018, 09:45:39 AM »
I did a year and a half of undergrad commuting 90 miles each way to campus.  I can't imagine doing that here.

The first university I attended was 55 miles from home, and I spent 5 semesters commuting there.  Even 55 miles would be a stretch in the UK.

I've never heard of Katy, TX, before this thread, and I lived in San Antonio for 4 years in the mid-80s.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Sponsored Links