Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Computer.  (Read 25057 times)

• Liked: 149
Re: Computer.
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2017, 07:51:51 AM »
Seriously, if you rarely use the phone, EE has a 5 pound a month plan that gets you 75 minutes of talk time, 250 texts, and some data (irrelevant on an old phone without internet). After 3 months you get a free "boost" of 25 minutes, or more texts, or more data. If you need more than that, they have a 10 pound plan.
This is why I'm likely to go with the ASDA sim.....my wife has been on it for a couple of years paying £5 a month. I think the £7.50 choice will get me way more call/text and internet time than I will use. I've been putting the switch off because it only saves me £5 a month.......no contract with ASDA, I don't know about the EE version.
Fred

• Liked: 672
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2017, 12:15:13 PM »
This is why I'm likely to go with the ASDA sim.....my wife has been on it for a couple of years paying £5 a month. I think the £7.50 choice will get me way more call/text and internet time than I will use. I've been putting the switch off because it only saves me £5 a month.......no contract with ASDA, I don't know about the EE version.

No contract required on EE. :)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2017, 05:01:06 PM »
If I were you, I'd get an iPad and try it out before I bought a new laptop.  I think it will do almost everything you want to do, but faster, easier and more securely.  And it will be so much easier to carry around the house.  If you are worried about learning something new, don't sweat it, everything is very intuitive. 

Hey, Jim, I got an iPad!  :D  Had to, the new pro is going to be in the shop for 7-10 days.
It still seems a bit foreign, I keep reaching for the mouse but I think I'm going to be really happy with it. And after the new computer turning out to be a bit of a lemon, I'm going to feel much safer having it as a back up. Plus it was great fun being able to use it on the train on the way home from the Apple Store!  ;D

• Liked: 424
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2017, 05:06:46 PM »
I have an iPad air 2 and love it! Much faster than our good laptop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 957
« Reply #94 on: January 01, 2018, 11:46:13 AM »
Hey, Jim, I got an iPad!  :D  Had to, the new pro is going to be in the shop for 7-10 days.
It still seems a bit foreign, I keep reaching for the mouse but I think I'm going to be really happy with it. And after the new computer turning out to be a bit of a lemon, I'm going to feel much safer having it as a back up. Plus it was great fun being able to use it on the train on the way home from the Apple Store!  ;D
I've been using a tablet since arriving because I forgot the power cord for my laptop and I don't have a place to set it up with a monitor here, and for the every day type stuff it's been excellent. It's actually considered a chromebook, and I haven't run into too many things that don't work.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2018, 09:46:04 PM »

That,s fantastic!  You should install Tapatalk to make this forum super easy to use.

Also, you should install an astronomy app called planets and look at the sky if it ever becomes clear again.  It's great fun to hold the iPad up to the sky and have it show you all the planets and constellations. 

I’m typing this in a new Christmas iPad as well, the battery on the old one just wouldn’t charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2018, 02:50:59 AM »
I love those ideas, thank you!  ;D

How much storage did you choose? I got the cheapest option but now I’m thinking that I should’ve gone for the one with a bit more space!

« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2018, 06:49:12 PM »
I wouldn’t worry about the space, that should only be a problem if you take a bunch of pictures or keep movies on it. 

I’m sure that the more you use it, the handier you will find it. 

Turn on Hey Siri and it's like having a robot assistant.  You can say Hey Siri send a text or hey Siri how many grams in an ounce and she answers anything.  Ask her what is 1 divided by zero for a joke.

« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2018, 04:02:19 PM »
Having had all this trouble with my computer over the holidays, I was relieved when the Apple store agreed to finally take it in to do a hardware replacement. I just got a call from them to say that they didn’t need to do that, they’ve just done a reset and it’s working fine!   Last time they said they’d fixed it, it didn’t last 12 hours!   ::)

I had to explain again that the problem was not when I was working on it but rather when I left it for any length of time and came back to it.  They’re going to keep it for a few more days but honestly, I’m fed up!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 04:16:32 PM by larrabee »

Computer.
« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2018, 04:39:42 PM »
What about your IPad?  Still like it?

Here's where you say "Oh Jim, you were so right, I should have listened to you in the first place...."
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 04:44:46 PM by jimbocz »

« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2018, 04:57:43 PM »
What about your IPad?  Still like it?

Here's where you say "Oh Jim, you were so right, I should have listened to you in the first place...."

Jim, you are always right, you know that!  ;D

I do like it and I’m really glad I have it and it scratches the itch of being able to access emails, the internet etc but I do miss the computer!  I am so slow and clumsy on the ipad!

« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2018, 04:59:17 PM »
You'll get used to it.  I'll send my 13 year old over to teach you, she knows everything!

« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2018, 05:00:25 PM »
How about one of those cases that has a keyboard built in?  That might make you type faster.

« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2018, 05:08:09 PM »
How about one of those cases that has a keyboard built in?  That might make you type faster.

Haha, I got one at the time and it is a huge help with typing but things like copy and paste and opening a link in new tab, I have yet to master.
I do love that I can still get to my documents in iCloud and my calendar and the whole synced thing really appeals to me too. Plus, it’s very cute, like a tiny computer but yeah, I’m slow and clumsy!  ;D

« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2018, 02:47:53 PM »
Having the worst luck ever with this stupid computer.  :\\\'(

I’m on the train home (on my ipad, yay! :D) having NOT got my computer back today.

They managed to physically damage it while it was in their care. Actual chips in the side of the lid and tried to give it back to me... did they think I wouldn’t notice?

Of course, they are going to replace the lid and didn’t argue about that but my concern was that whatever had caused the external damage (something dropping onto it maybe?) could have damaged it internally so I said I wanted a new computer and they said no.... this conversation went on for some time. There were even a few tears shed but I couldn’t get them to agree.

So here I am, pounds poorer (another train fare) another day of my life I’ll never get back and still no computer!   :-X

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab