Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: National Insurance Number  (Read 6570 times)

• Liked: 3
National Insurance Number
« on: August 29, 2017, 06:16:56 PM »
Well,
We've arrived in Colchester, UK and are slowly getting things sorted out.  We've registered with a GP and have NHS numbers and are in the process of opening up a bank account (Santander was really good to work with).  Now -- how about the National Insurance Number?  My husband phoned them today and made himself an appointment.  He has dual citizenship (American and Irish) and must exercise his treaty rights.  The rest of us are being sponsored by him.  I wanted to work.  Our daughter is 16 and our niece is 18 and they're going to school.  The questions is -- how do we go about getting National Insurance Numbers?  Do we phone up the National insurance number application line and make ourselves appointments?  The problem is that they'll be starting school very soon and most likely they'll have to go to the nearest town of Chelmsford to do it.

I'd love to get any advice on this.

• Liked: 3595
Re: National Insurance Number
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 06:23:35 PM »
You basically do the same as your husband - give them a call and ask how to apply for one. You may need to attend an interview, or you may not - it depends what they tell you.

See here:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 06:26:30 PM »
Thanks.  He was told that he had to go all the way to Chelmsford.  There is a job plus centre in Colchester.  We were thinking we would go there tomorrow when they open to see if they could tell is if we could do the application/interview locally. 

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 06:56:32 PM »
Thanks.  He was told that he had to go all the way to Chelmsford.  There is a job plus centre in Colchester.  We were thinking we would go there tomorrow when they open to see if they could tell is if we could do the application/interview locally.

Let us know how you get on. I had heard that it would be a Jobs Centre+ for the NI interview.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 674
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 07:47:45 AM »
Hi. If it helps, I had to attend a center (dual Irish/US citizen), but my daughter, who is a US citizen only on an EEA dependent family permit was told to apply by mail. She did (sending a photocopy of her passport) and was given a NI number.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 01:26:28 PM »
Hi. If it helps, I had to attend a center (dual Irish/US citizen), but my daughter, who is a US citizen only on an EEA dependent family permit was told to apply by mail. She did (sending a photocopy of her passport) and was given a NI number.

Good to know,thanks.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 02:08:02 PM »
I've found out that I can apply for a National Insurance Number via the post.  The application came in the post today.  I have a couple of questions.  The instructions say to fill out the the form if one has a current UK Visa or a Biometric Residence Permit applied for outside the UK and which gives one the right to work in the UK.

I have an EEA Family Permit.  Does this meet the Biometric Residence Permit qualifications?

Next, the woman on the phone said my application would be review and a decision made as to whether or not to issue a National Insurance Number.  Wondering how often an application is rejected and what I should be sure to do correctly to avoid any potential problems.  I must sent back the application by 22Sept17.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 02:48:44 PM »
I've found out that I can apply for a National Insurance Number via the post.  The application came in the post today.  I have a couple of questions.  The instructions say to fill out the the form if one has a current UK Visa or a Biometric Residence Permit applied for outside the UK and which gives one the right to work in the UK.

I have an EEA Family Permit.  Does this meet the Biometric Residence Permit qualifications?

You don't have a Biometrics Residence Permit (BRP) yet - your 'visa' is the permit in your passport, and that is your proof of right to work in the UK.

When you apply for your 5-year EEA Residence Card, that will be issued as a BRP instead of a passport sticker.

Next, the woman on the phone said my application would be review and a decision made as to whether or not to issue a National Insurance Number.  Wondering how often an application is rejected and what I should be sure to do correctly to avoid any potential problems.  I must sent back the application by 22Sept17.

I don't recall anyone getting rejected for one here on the forum before - and I've been on here for over 10 years.

NI numbers are automatically issued to all UK citizens when they turn 16 - they are a bit like Social Security numbers - so as long as you have the right to live and work in the UK, there should be no reason to be rejected for one.

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 08:59:34 PM »
Thank you.  Is there anything else I need to know about filling out the form?  Any particular documentation that should be included?  Just want to be sure I'm doing this correctly.  Thanks again.

• Liked: 674
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 07:42:47 AM »
Just what they ask for.   :)
Unlike visa paperwork, this one is very straight-forward and un-complicated.

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 05:48:42 PM »
Thank you.  Under part 4 "Other Information" - Please tell us any other information that may affect your application...what should I put?

My spouse has dual citizenship (American and Irish) and is the family sponsor.  I have an EEA Family permit.  My spouse is in process of looking for work so as to exercise his treaty rights.  Our daughter and niece (of whom we are her legal guardians) are full time students.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 01:47:16 PM »
My spouse has dual citizenship (American and Irish) and is the family sponsor.  I have an EEA Family permit.  My spouse is in process of looking for work so as to exercise his treaty rights. 

If your husband got an Irish passport to go to the UK and not to live in his own country (The Republic of Ireland) he won't get the same given to him that the UK grants to Irish citizens who move to the UK from the RoI. These are given to help the Irish government.

Our daughter and niece (of whom we are her legal guardians) are full time students.

As non-EEA citizen children, their right to be in the UK is based soley on their EEA sponsor being a qualified person and remaining one at all all times. He has 90 days from when he arrived in the UK, to do that.

Whereas EEA citizen children have different rules and can go to school in any EEA country, under a European Court of Justice Ruling.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 02:15:16 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 05:14:28 PM »
Not sure I understand.  My husband got his Irish citizenship about 4 years ago.  He got it because he could and because we had spent a year in Spain teaching, but could not remain once our student visas expired.  He wanted more options for living abroad.

He has been diligently looking for work since before we relocated to Colchester, UK.  He has had one interview and on just about a daily basis is submitting applications for vacancies and walking to different shops.  This is a very different process than what we are used to, and my understanding is that it does take some time.  He is trying to find a job ASAP.  Any advice anyone has would be welcomed.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 06:36:42 PM »
Not sure I understand.  My husband got his Irish citizenship about 4 years ago.  He got it because he could and because we had spent a year in Spain teaching, but could not remain once our student visas expired.  He wanted more options for living abroad.

The rules are different. There are the UK immigration rules; EEA Regulations and European Court of Justice Rulings; and there are two sets of rules for Irish citizens; depending on if they have lived in their own country, the RoI/last entered the UK using the CTA, and that's what I was talking about.

He has been diligently looking for work since before we relocated to Colchester, UK.  He has had one interview and on just about a daily basis is submitting applications for vacancies and walking to different shops.  This is a very different process than what we are used to, and my understanding is that it does take some time.  He is trying to find a job ASAP.  Any advice anyone has would be welcomed.

As he is using the EEA Regulations to sponsor his non-EEA citizen family members, then he must follow that Free Movement of Persons Directive 2004/38/EC, at all times. That Directive allows him 90 days in the UK with his family members and after that, for you all to remain lawfully in the UK, he must be what that Directive calls, a "qualified person". He must then follow the EEA Regs at all times after that, for you all to remain lawfully in the UK, usually that means being a "qualified person".

An EEA citizen has a time limit to look for work in another EEA country and after those 90 days, they must leave and can look for work in another EEA country instead- unless they become another type of "qualified person".

This is the link I gave you before when you were talking about moving to the UK and both you and your husband need to read this. It's important that he must follow these at all times for you, your daughter and niece, to all to be lawfully in the UK. Even an Irish citizen can be unlawfully in the UK.
This is the latest version, updated 1 February 2017
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/588174/EEA-qualified-persons-v4_0EXT.pdf

If he isn't following the EEA regs and you don't have permission from the UK under the UK immigration rules, then you are all in breach of the UK immigration rules - which means none of you are lawfully in the UK if you remain and you are not allowed to work. RC cards become invalid

Time spent unlawfully in the UK can also be a fail of the UK's Good Character requirement for citizenship. For Brexit, the UK has already said that any offer to stay after Brexit, is only for those lawfully in the UK

There isn't just a "worker qualified person".  If you look at what Nan is doing, she read that Directive before she moved to the UK and has made sure she is already being a “qualified person” (is exercising her treaty rights already) while she looks for work.  Now nan doesn’t have to worry about her 90 days allowed. She is being a "Self Sufficient qualified person" while she looks for work as she meets those requirements - can show the finances to prove she can support herself and her family members, has brought Comprehensive Sickness Insurance for herself and her family members and will not take UK benefits. When nan gets a job that is "genuine and effective" then Nan can be a "worker qualified person": that way, her stay in the UK and that of her family member, is always lawful.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 06:57:17 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 06:45:54 PM »
Thank you.  We will read the latest version.  So, as we are here now, can we still apply for the self-sufficient qualified person (and purchase comprehensive sickness insurance) whilst in transition?  We do have income coming in and it is sufficient to support us.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab