Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What stuff is better to buy than move  (Read 3057 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: What stuff is better to buy than move
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2017, 12:12:15 PM »
Can confirm I have kids and currently wearing stretchy waist.

Still trying to lose those pesky pounds from pregnancy?   ;D

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2017, 12:47:12 PM »
I’m a very sympathetic husband.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2017, 01:05:05 PM »
I pretty much completely furnished a two bedroom apartment here almost exclusively with basics from Ikea for about $3,500. Granted, we went with their bottom-of-the-line stuff, shopped sale items, and got the couch and living room chair on a "discontinued" sale. We initially had only what we carried over in two suitcases, and pretty much got a full set-up, down to the dish towels and spoons and including three large bookcases with glass doors (again, a discontinued color). I filled in with items from local charity shops (which are good places to find things like jackets and pots-and-pans).

[We sent the rest of our stuff over slow-boat, so save money, through Rainier and it cost about another $5,000 door to door from California, with  full export packing. We had a LOT of books, but everything fit into two and a half standard sea crates.  Rainier's slow-boat service bills on size of crate, not weight, so whatever fits goes. They did a great job on short notice.]

Things I regret not bringing: my American rocking chair (now replaced with a similar, but not quite the same, from the British Heart Foundation second-hand shop after a very lengthy search); electric stand mixer; wooden hangers (the ones I am finding here are not as large and so the shoulders of coats sort of hang down); food dehydrator; crock pot; stick blender; desk and short-wave radios (that plug in).  I was able to buy a couple of step-down transformers here that take two extension cords each and will run up to 1100 watts (continuously) per unit and could have handled any of the the above, at about 60 pounds each. (They are completely silent and are designed to run continuously.)  Replacements for kitchen appliances and other electronics are expensive here, we've found, and we are kicking ourselves for giving away the good-quality ones we had in the States.  The Daughter wants a small radio that looks nice and also plays CDs and has a USB port, and runs on mains power. The cheapest I've found (that doesn't look like a boom-box) is almost 100 pounds.  We brought the turntable (and my 500-lp record collection) and it's working fine on the transformer. Also brought the tropical fish aquarium stuff (heaters, pumps, etc.) and they're fine as well on the transformer.

I regret not bringing more linens. I did bring several American-style quilts (which you won't find here) but did not bring any sheet sets. I'm having a devil of a time finding top sheets - everything is fitted and they seem to assume you'll be using a duvet, for which they sell duvet covers. And it's hard to find 100% cotton sheets that are not expensive. Most sheets seem to be a blend with a synthetic, in the lower-end stores.

Jeans. Definitely. For all the reasons the others have stated - and because they're still wearing those jegging-style jeans here, and skin-tight-to-the-ankle jeans as well. Daughter's puffer jacket - we had a good one from Lands End, left it behind. The ones we see in the store here look like they're made out of bin liners. Really regret not bringing that puffer - it squashed down to nothing in the space bag but the kiddo said to donate it, so...

Should have brought bottles of familiar seasonings (Mrs Dash, good quality vanilla, Lawry's, etc.) and things for the medicine cabinet: you can't get things like Neosporin here without a prescription. Naproxin the same. Ace bandages - we had some sent over after dealing with the local variety, which are not anywhere near as good. The replacement for the water-pick would be an eye-watering price, so we're doing without. The electric toothbrushes were three or four times what we'd have paid in the States.

The dining room rug. I had a woven rug that I now wish I had brought. Got it at World Market or Pier One (not sure which) and there is nothing like it here at all. Plus, replacement rugs are not cheap here. We weren't sure if we'd have carpeting or bare floors, and ended up with bare floors, so I'm always on the hunt for rugs/room rugs. A desk lamp and our living room stand lamps.  Again, replacements are terribly expensive here, and switching the wall plug (or using a plug adapter) and changing the lightbulb out (to a LED bulb, with a socket adapter) has worked well for the one lamp we did bring. Kicking self for not bringing the others. ::)

We donated a massive amount of our stuff to AmVets before we left. I wish I'd known then what I know now, and I might have brought more than I actually did.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 03:54:27 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2017, 01:44:14 PM »
crock pot

I've found items like this relatively cheap at Tesco/Argos/Lidl! I got my slow cooker there for literally less than £20! It was a bargain and it's lasted over 2 years already so I am pleased! I Think it would have saved me the hassle of bothering to to take one from the US. I think it's one thing if you've got an expensive kitchen appliance you don't have the money to replace like a standup mixer you mentioned, but you can find bargains on the smaller stuff if you keep an eye out :) The liners for the slow cookers are another story though! Definitely bring those from the US!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 768
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2017, 01:49:44 PM »
I've found items like this relatively cheap at Tesco/Argos/Lidl! I got my slow cooker there for literally less than £20! It was a bargain and it's lasted over 2 years already so I am pleased! I Think it would have saved me the hassle of bothering to to take one from the US. I think it's one thing if you've got an expensive kitchen appliance you don't have the money to replace like a standup mixer you mentioned, but you can find bargains on the smaller stuff if you keep an eye out :) The liners for the slow cookers are another story though! Definitely bring those from the US!
I used to be married to someone who made a crap ton of money so I had expensive kitchen appliances like the Professional grade Kitchen Aid mixer and Vitamix. I couldn't take them with me so I gifted them to my son.

Now I'm married to someone who is not well off and I use matches to heat tins of cup a soup.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2017, 04:30:20 PM »

Yeah, after much searching we found the model of Crock Pot (brand) that we found acceptable (although an ugly chrome finish) on a 'discontinued' sale at John Lewis for 29 pounds.  I paid $12 for the old one at Walmart, originally, but that was on sale. Either way, with the exchange rate, I paid at more to replace it than I paid for it new.  And I have not found the same brand of dehydrator with the same features at any price. The stick blender so far has been only at ridiculous prices (was $5 - on sale, of course - in the States).  Etc.

Nothing like our lamps that we left behind, here really. I did find one plain "brass" floor lamp that was close from Ikea for 39 pounds, got a bulb adapter so that the lampshade we brought would fit on it, bought a LED bulb for it (LED use almost no power, so no worries about overtaxing the existing lamp wiring), and got a plug adapter for the wall, and it's now up and functional. I figure it cost about 50 pounds, total, to replace that one lamp. Same lamp, when new, cost about $29....  so looking at total expenses, I lost the $29 investment and paid 50 pounds more, so I'm out about $100 in total to have a lamp like the one we left behind.  If you don't care about exact matches, I'm sure you can get by more cheaply. I just am a bit particular about a few things in my home.  ;)

And, since the items were already paid for once, it's a shame to pay for them again IF you have room in the shipping container to bring them for a nominal cost.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2017, 10:43:19 PM »
I got a really good quality vanilla from Ocado. It's lovely and wasn't too expensive. I refuse to use the fake stuff!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2017, 10:24:38 AM »
I got a really good quality vanilla from Ocado. It's lovely and wasn't too expensive. I refuse to use the fake stuff!

It really does make a difference, doesn't it? :)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2017, 11:42:52 AM »
It really does make a difference, doesn't it? :)

Exactly. Real vanilla or bust! You can make your own really easily, just takes a few months. Haha
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2017, 02:04:50 PM »
Exactly. Real vanilla or bust! You can make your own really easily, just takes a few months. Haha
Not in the Instant Pot it doesn't!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2017, 01:37:06 PM »
And, since the items were already paid for once, it's a shame to pay for them again IF you have room in the shipping container to bring them for a nominal cost.

yeah I think it comes down to how much you'd have to pay to ship the items over. On top of that, you'd also have to take into consideration how much it'd cost if you need a transformer for the plug/etc.  It's also about whether or not you're very particular on brand/style or if you just want something that'll accomplish the same job. If you are more particular, then it's obviously worth taking your own stuff. For me, with the slow cooker for example, I didn't care so much what it looked like or what brand it was, just how it functioned and what the price point was (didn't want one that was too confusing and had to be big enough for at least two portion sizes) so I got the plain black on on sale at Tesco because it was a very good value for money but I understand people that are particular wanting the item they've already paid a decent price for etc.  I didn't have anything that expensive to take with me so maybe it's different for me because I didn't feel like I was leaving anything too quality behind. The only thing I wish I could've taken that's stored at my parent's house for now is a table I got from my grandmother's house after she passed that was a solid and heavy vintage wood table with a checker/chess board build into it...Somebody I will pay to ship that over....I will never find a table like that over here...
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2017, 05:03:51 PM »
Yeah, and there's the sentimental value of that table that has to figure into the equation. We've got a matching dresser, chest of drawers, and bookcase that we shipped over. They are old (vintage 1915) and somewhat grungy, but were a great-aunt's and the Daughter really didn't want to part with them. Much history in those items.  When we looked at the price of getting a good-quality replacement set it was going to cost less to ship them.  The rest of our stuff? Naw. Went to Ikea.

We also had a Wearing Blender from the 1950s - one of the old metal and glass, lasts-forever kind. I am REALLY kicking myself for not bringing it. The transformer that we could have put on the cabinet in the kitchen and run all the appliances off of was about 60 pounds. A replacement blender of similar quality (if we could even find one) is going to cost a lot more than shipping would have, since we had the room for it in the sea crate. One of those "doh" moments, I guess!  ::)

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2017, 08:11:18 PM »
Yeah, and there's the sentimental value of that table that has to figure into the equation. We've got a matching dresser, chest of drawers, and bookcase that we shipped over. They are old (vintage 1915) and somewhat grungy, but were a great-aunt's and the Daughter really didn't want to part with them. Much history in those items.  When we looked at the price of getting a good-quality replacement set it was going to cost less to ship them.  The rest of our stuff? Naw. Went to Ikea.

We also had a Wearing Blender from the 1950s - one of the old metal and glass, lasts-forever kind. I am REALLY kicking myself for not bringing it. The transformer that we could have put on the cabinet in the kitchen and run all the appliances off of was about 60 pounds. A replacement blender of similar quality (if we could even find one) is going to cost a lot more than shipping would have, since we had the room for it in the sea crate. One of those "doh" moments, I guess!  ::)

Yeah for sure! I didn't ship anything (was cheaper to take lots of extra suitcases when i checked) but I am all about saving the space for the sentimental items first and foremost as those the things that are probably going to make you feel more "at home" and that you can't just go out and buy.
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 16
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2017, 03:30:28 AM »
Thank you all for your help.  This was very useful.  I'm bringing a lot of sentimental items, plus things that will make the place seem homier.  Definitely going to pack an extra sheet set, since I'm bringing my bed.  (I have an amazing mattress that i doubt i could replace for less than a grand (do they use that term for pounds?)  I'm not bringing much in the way of kitchen appliances, because honestly, they aren't that special.  Thanks to the warning about clothing costs, I packed a lot more clothes than I was thinking I would.  Also, I'm bringing a fair number of lamps because of the advice about selection.  Plus, I have really nice lamps that would probably be expensive to bring.

The movers were here today, and the shipping container arrives tomorrow for loading.  ToR is almost ready to go, just waiting for the shipping list from the movers, and then, I'm off... about a week after my stuff leaves.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2017, 03:52:44 AM »
Glad it's all falling into place! Safe journey, for you and your belongings!  ;D

Sponsored Links