Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Thanksgiving 2017  (Read 2841 times)

• Liked: 154
Re: Thanksgiving 2017
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2017, 08:32:13 PM »
I love thanksgiving it's my favourite holiday. Every year we spent it with my moms family. My uncle would get up at early hours and get a ham and turkey in the smoker ( we also had regular turkey). My dad and uncle would take us kids to the park down the street, and we always decorated woody (a thick stick  that literally had arms and legs). Lots of booze to go around once we got older and singing and dancing to old time rock n roll.  Sadly this is my first year not with my family for thanksgiving and the first year my family is without my uncle.

I did ask my OH if we could do a small thanksgiving dinner. But I've yet to buy anything. My hearts not in it this year.

Does anybody have a good pecan pie recipe that doesn't call for karo?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2017, 09:49:17 PM »
I did ask my OH if we could do a small thanksgiving dinner. But I've yet to buy anything. My hearts not in it this year.

Does anybody have a good pecan pie recipe that doesn't call for karo?

You should buy the things, anyway, and don't leave it too late.  My first Thanksgiving here was also my first after losing my dad (who loved Thanksgiving), and I thought I wouldn't bother.  But then a couple days before, I suddenly had a panic and needed to do a small Thanksgiving, even if it was just for my husband and me.  But I couldn't find anything resembling turkey at that late notice, and I ended up a sobbing mess.  The story ends okay as my husband came home with a turkey breast crown that I don't know how he found, and I was so touched that I started sobbing again.  (My emotions were all over the place my first year here... I lost my dad, moved to a new country, and got married all in the space of about four months.)

Anyway, I just saw this recipe for pecan pie that seems to get really good reviews, and it uses a tonne of brown sugar instead of Karo.  https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/old-fashioned-pecan-pie-recipe  It sounds pretty good, actually.  If I had an oven, I might even make it, even though I don't normally do pecan pie.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:51:31 PM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2017, 10:52:01 AM »
Oh that looks like a yummy pecan pie. 

You can use Golden Syrup instead of Karo if you have a recipe you love. You can usually find Karo in Tesco's American section too. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 676
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2017, 01:13:56 PM »
Tesco is selling frozen cranberries at 2pounds for 400grams. The fresh ones are 3pounds for 200 (?) grams at Waitrose here.

If anyone runs across Claude's beef marinade or Stubbs BBQ (not the sticky kind), let other than at Ocado, let me know? (No, they are not very Turkey Day, but I'm out and in withdrawl.)

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2017, 05:01:23 PM »
Oh that looks like a yummy pecan pie. 

You can use Golden Syrup instead of Karo if you have a recipe you love. You can usually find Karo in Tesco's American section too.
Our tesco is sad and doesn't have an American section. It's middle eastern, Australian and polish.

But my sainsburys is a bit better. I did swoop up all of their graham cracker pie crusts tonight

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2017, 05:03:02 PM »
You should buy the things, anyway, and don't leave it too late.  My first Thanksgiving here was also my first after losing my dad (who loved Thanksgiving), and I thought I wouldn't bother.  But then a couple days before, I suddenly had a panic and needed to do a small Thanksgiving, even if it was just for my husband and me.  But I couldn't find anything resembling turkey at that late notice, and I ended up a sobbing mess.  The story ends okay as my husband came home with a turkey breast crown that I don't know how he found, and I was so touched that I started sobbing again.  (My emotions were all over the place my first year here... I lost my dad, moved to a new country, and got married all in the space of about four months.)

Anyway, I just saw this recipe for pecan pie that seems to get really good reviews, and it uses a tonne of brown sugar instead of Karo.  https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/old-fashioned-pecan-pie-recipe  It sounds pretty good, actually.  If I had an oven, I might even make it, even though I don't normally do pecan pie.

Aw I'm sorry about your dad. Glad your husband came through though. They are kind of the best people for putting up with our emotions :)

That pie looks yummy! I'm going to try it, thanks :)))

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2017, 06:01:45 PM »
Aw I'm sorry about your dad. Glad your husband came through though. They are kind of the best people for putting up with our emotions :)

That pie looks yummy! I'm going to try it, thanks :)))

It's not that I'm bragging, but my husband is perfect.  Well, perfect for me.  He might not be perfect for everybody.  But there's nobody better suited to me.  I know; I looked for a long time.  Finding him was like learning Santa was actually real, or something.  So naturally, I had to drop everything and cross an ocean for him.  :)

Good luck with the pie!  Let us know if you make any modifications and how it turns out.  It sounds like the sort of thing my husband would love, so I might make it for him some day ("... when I have a kitchen!").

• Liked: 957
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2017, 06:14:13 PM »
It's not that I'm bragging, but my husband is perfect.  Well, perfect for me.  He might not be perfect for everybody.  But there's nobody better suited to me.  I know; I looked for a long time.  Finding him was like learning Santa was actually real, or something.  So naturally, I had to drop everything and cross an ocean for him.  :)

Good luck with the pie!  Let us know if you make any modifications and how it turns out.  It sounds like the sort of thing my husband would love, so I might make it for him some day ("... when I have a kitchen!").
I feel the same about my husband. :) Amazing when you finally meet the right one for you!

I haven't followed all of this thread, and while I won't be there for thanksgiving this year I do look forward to next year! (And it's always the week of my husband's birthday and when we got engaged, so it's full of happy memories for me!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2017, 07:15:47 PM »

It's like the missing puzzle piece you've been looking for. I know the feeling, I suspect most of us do or we'd not be here but I do love a good love story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2017, 07:21:13 PM »
It's like the missing puzzle piece you've been looking for. I know the feeling, I suspect most of us do or we'd not be here but I do love a good love story.

Yes, exactly that.  And yay for finding our missing pieces.    :)

• Liked: 68
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2017, 04:07:17 PM »
Anyone having egg nog with their dessert? We usually do for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I tried making my own last year and it was horrible, but then I found this! Borden's egg nog for 50p because it's short dated: https://www.americansoda.co.uk/borden-premium-egg-nog/

Wanted to share with any egg nog lovers here! My husband tried the Borden's one a couple years ago when I could find it in Tesco and surprisingly loved it.

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2017, 05:16:07 PM »
Anyone having egg nog with their dessert? We usually do for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I tried making my own last year and it was horrible, but then I found this! Borden's egg nog for 50p because it's short dated: https://www.americansoda.co.uk/borden-premium-egg-nog/

Wanted to share with any egg nog lovers here! My husband tried the Borden's one a couple years ago when I could find it in Tesco and surprisingly loved it.

Nice find.  My husband has been wanting to try it (or have it again?) for ages.  I will add a few treats for myself to justify the £5 shipping and get two cartons.  If he doesn't like it, at least we won't be out too much, and I'll get some treats, too.  :)

• Liked: 116
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2017, 07:12:29 PM »
Hey friends,

We got the medium frozen turkey from Tesco. (Serves 8-10) how many days does it need to thaw if we thaw it in the fridge? I have time since we aren't doing thanksgiving til Sunday.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2017, 07:14:32 PM »
Hey friends,

We got the medium frozen turkey from Tesco. (Serves 8-10) how many days does it need to thaw if we thaw it in the fridge? I have time since we aren't doing thanksgiving til Sunday.

Does it say on the package?

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2017, 07:22:24 PM »
Hey friends,

This random website I just looked at says "You'll need to allow about 24 hours for each 4 to 5 pounds of frozen turkey you plan to thaw in the fridge."  So, that's one day for every 2 kg.

Sponsored Links