Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Boardgame Meetup  (Read 17143 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Boardgame Meetup
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2018, 09:42:53 AM »
Good morning all.

I'm a but late to the party here - and this is my very first post.

I'm slightly addicted to games and have purchased several recently that i've not had the chance to play.

My wife and I live in Hampshire - in a village called Headley - and very keen to meet up for games/food/drinks.

some of the games we have:

Pandemic
Small World
Exploding Kittens
Cards against humanity (and all expansions)
Robo Rally
Zombies
Walking Dead
Risk - Walking Dead
Kanabi
Blood Bowl (thats the games workshop geek in me coming out)
Carcasonne
Duel
Camel Up
Codenames

and many more :-)
a third of those i've not yet played but I cant stop myself from buying them

to the original poster - I grew up in Sandhurst just down the road from you.. :)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2018, 10:25:21 AM »
Good morning all.

I'm slightly addicted to games and have purchased several recently that i've not had the chance to play.

My wife and I live in Hampshire - in a village called Headley - and very keen to meet up for games/food/drinks.

Pandemic
Small World
Exploding Kittens
Robo Rally
Zombies
Walking Dead
Risk - Walking Dead
Kanabi
Carcasonne
Duel
Camel Up
Codenames

to the original poster - I grew up in Sandhurst just down the road from you.. :)

Was listening to a gaming podcast where they were talking about Blood Bowl and I was literally like "is this a board game?? is this sports???" and my husband was like "it's like a fantasy-themed sports game I think?" and I was like......I AM INTRIGUED! Very curious to play it!

You're about a 40 minute drive from us but perhaps there's a chance we could find a pub or something in between and game! I too am in a position where we don't get to play some of our games but I can't stop buying them hahaha We keep saying "This is the last one"....buuuuuut we bought Castles of Burgundy two days ago because Amazon got it back in stock for £20 with Prime next day delivery so we made an exception....and I feel like we've made an exception once every week or so haha. Have heard good things about Codenames as well so would be cool to see it in action.

If I created a Facebook page for board game meetups in the area, would you (or anybody else here) join it? I've been toying with the idea of creating a group on there and trying to get it out there so that people could connect and meet up to game whenever they were free but I just haven't pulled the trigger and created the group yet as it might end up having nobody join lol.

Also, I am literally by Broadmoor/Wildmoor Heath haha I can walk a path that takes me directly into Sandhurst in like 10-ish minutes! Too bad you aren't still living there!

Happy first post! Cool that it was on my thread :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 957
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2018, 12:08:12 PM »
Good morning all.

Pandemic
Small World
Exploding Kittens
Robo Rally
Zombies
Walking Dead
Risk - Walking Dead
Kanabi
Carcasonne
Duel
Camel Up
Codenames

We has a board game lunch at work every week and played carcassonne and camel up, both lots of fun! And pandemic is one of my favourites but too long for a lunch break usually. Ticket to ride Europe is another one I like because it's shorter than the US one. I need to pick up killer bunnies as well, that was a good laugh because it's pretty much Russian roulette for who will win.

Once I have a car I'm happy to travel for gaming too :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2018, 12:31:30 PM »
You know we are up for it KoD.  Just need a day's notice-ish to book a babysitter.  :)

« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2018, 12:31:56 PM »
We has a board game lunch at work every week and played carcassonne and camel up, both lots of fun!

I'm wishing MY work had a board game lunch every week! My husband had an interview for a role at a small/start-up company where it was that type of environment. That is my DREAM environment. He didn't want the role in the end as he was too nervous it would be too big of a risk to his career but I would've totally taken the risk to have met a whole bunch of people with similar interests and make some new friends to hang out with and have some beers with!
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2018, 12:33:34 PM »
You know we are up for it KoD.  Just need a day's notice-ish to book a babysitter.  :)

Haha I know you guys are! That's why I will probably start a specific Facebook group and can arrange "play dates" (haha sorry) on an ad-hoc basis. Want to do it outside our expat page as I want to bring anybody interested into it as I think it'll be hard to find too many people locally wanting to join on a regular basis.
My, how time flies....

« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2018, 12:33:56 PM »
We has a board game lunch at work every week and played carcassonne and camel up, both lots of fun!

I'm wishing MY work had a board game lunch every week! My husband had an interview for a role at a small/start-up company where it was that type of environment. That is my DREAM environment. He didn't want the role in the end as he was too nervous it would be too big of a risk to his career but I would've totally taken the risk to have met a whole bunch of people with similar interests and make some new friends to hang out with and have some beers with!
I work for an uptight bank but one of the team members 'sponsored' it bringing in all the games. Great team building in the eyes of the company ;)

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2018, 01:25:20 PM »
I've created a group now on Facebook...Will work on it this weekend (obviously not tonight, as there is PHO to be eaten! haha) but it's a bit barren for the time being. Just wanted to physically create the group before I got too lazy LOL. For anybody interested :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1933162316698724/
My, how time flies....

« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2018, 02:00:24 PM »
I've created a group now on Facebook...Will work on it this weekend (obviously not tonight, as there is PHO to be eaten! haha) but it's a bit barren for the time being. Just wanted to physically create the group before I got too lazy LOL. For anybody interested :

You will now be able to find me on FB... Request to join sent :)

Pho? Where? I have been craving it so badly.

« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2018, 02:07:15 PM »
You will now be able to find me on FB... Request to join sent :)

Pho? Where? I have been craving it so badly.

You've been approved! haha :D You're the first!! Even before my husband! :p

Pho tonight in Reading if you're about! :) It's on the expat fb page
My, how time flies....

« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2018, 02:23:24 PM »
You've been approved! haha :D You're the first!! Even before my husband!

Pho tonight in Reading if you're about! :) It's on the expat fb page
Lol! Not quite there yet, and also not in the mysterious expat group. But this is exciting, there are no pho places near me. Going into central London Sunday and if I have my way we'll be getting pho after my support group meeting (for Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, thankfully there's one in Wokingham too) and then checking out some of the light up art installations. :)

« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2018, 02:25:53 PM »
Lol! Not quite there yet, and also not in the mysterious expat group. But this is exciting, there are no pho places near me. Going into central London Sunday and if I have my way we'll be getting pho after my support group meeting (for Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, thankfully there's one in Wokingham too) and then checking out some of the light up art installations. :)

Hoping you get your way as it sounds like a lovely way to spend some time in central London while you're there :)

here's the page [https://www.facebook.com/groups/1476203412683889/]. I thought you were already on it, apologies!

Also, sorry in advance as the FB page for boardgames will be blank and boring for now until I have time to sort things out hahaha
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2018, 02:49:13 PM »

I would join if it made sense.  I'm just not in the area.  After I have a car and my husband isn't working away so I don't feel like my time with him is rare and precious, on occasion, I'd be happy to make the trek.  Should I join so you have numbers?  Should I not join because I'm not local?  I'm not sure what to do.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2018, 02:59:31 PM »
I would join if it made sense.  I'm just not in the area.  After I have a car and my husband isn't working away so I don't feel like my time with him is rare and precious, on occasion, I'd be happy to make the trek.  Should I join so you have numbers?  Should I not join because I'm not local?  I'm not sure what to do.

haha you can do whatever works for you :) I'm not bothered about numbers, I just want to create a space for people to share an interest and try to meet up. if you want to join so that if/when you're in the area, you can connect with people to meet up, totally feel free to join! I can't say if it will develop enough to have casual chit-chat in there, but you never know! That would be ideal in my opinion. I won't be offended either way, I promise!
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2018, 03:33:48 PM »
Smart to not limit it to expats.  :)

I shall join now.  Seriously, we are totally lame.  We don't know what to do with ourselves on Saturday nights now that Strictly has ended.  Sunday's having Dancing on Ice.   [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Actually we are watching the show Hunted now and it's awesome. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab