Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Reserving Sunbeds  (Read 1482 times)

• Liked: 4985
Reserving Sunbeds
« on: January 29, 2018, 01:37:11 PM »
Article today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42855169

Thomas Cook sunbeds will be bookable ahead of holiday
Messenger Share this with Email Share
Rows of sunbeds by a poolImage copyrightPA
UK holidaymakers are to be offered the chance to choose their sunbed before they have even left home.

Thomas Cook's trial scheme will allow customers to pay £22 to book a specific lounger in advance of their holiday.

They will be able to pick their preferred location from a map, which will also allow customers to work out when each spot will get sun and shade.

Only some sunbeds will be bookable as part of the scheme, which is being trialled in three hotels next month.

The travel firm's "Choose Your Favourite Sunbed" service will then be available in 30 hotels this summer.

For customers who do not want to pay the premium, a proportion of sunbeds at those hotels will not be part of the scheme.

Sunbed sprints
The service comes after a number of videos were posted online in recent months showing British holidaymakers sprinting to get sunbeds early in the morning.

Thomas Cook's UK managing director Chris Mottershead said the initiative will particularly help "families that want to secure a number of beds together in a specific spot".

It says it is the UK's first package holiday company to provide such a service and follows the trial scheme it introduced last year allowing customers to select their hotel room before the start of their trip.

I think it's a good idea.  I definitely stray away from places that have reviews that talk about the sunbed sprint.

I know it's a very European thing to do.  Engrained from generations above.  But boy does this tradition annoy me! 

What say you?

• Liked: 70
Re: Reserving Sunbeds
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 02:19:25 PM »
Is this a thing?  Like there is actually competition for sun loungers?  Why? They can be moved so what would reserving them help?  I don't get it.

• Liked: 116
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 02:32:50 PM »
Wow, the ladies on mumsnet are going to go nuts over this.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 02:40:57 PM »
Is this a thing?  Like there is actually competition for sun loungers?  Why? They can be moved so what would reserving them help?  I don't get it.

Totally a thing!  I’m jealous that you’ve never experienced this.  It’s cringe worthy!

This clip sums it up perfectly.

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 02:42:41 PM »
Wow, the ladies on mumsnet are going to go nuts over this.

Link?  I wanna see!   ;D

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 03:09:14 PM »
Totally a thing!  I’m jealous that you’ve never experienced this.  It’s cringe worthy!

This clip sums it up perfectly.

hahaha!  "Here we go, it's mayhem here, the yanks are getting confused, they've gone for the chairs instead of the loungers.  He'll be disqualified for that!"  Oh dear!

I have never done a resort holiday that had this sort of demand for the loungers!*  Is it kicked off by the official opening time of the pool?  Like, what stops people from going down there before the sun comes up and staking a claim?

* I did stay at the Mandalay in Vegas for a conference once, and during a few free hours one late afternoon, I went down to the very busy pool area.  But I found an available lounger fairly easily.  I'd brought a drink, a book, and my iPhone (for the music), and stayed 'til the drink forced me to find a toilet.  I didn't bother going back to see if the lounger would still be available... I'd had enough sun and noise of all the people.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 03:12:05 PM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 03:25:56 PM »
I’ve been on a lot of cruises (where luckily they enforce no reserving loungers) and having lived in tourist destinations most my life I’m well aware of the practice (Florida).

I will not book anywhere that says you have to be up early to get a lounger.  I want to know I can wear my factor 75 in a sun hat under an umbrella! 

JF, usually the pool gates are unlocked at a specified time.  Europeans absolutely run for them, dropping towels like maniacs.

Us Americans just move their towels and claim them for ours later.   ;D

• Liked: 111
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 05:45:14 PM »
For the Brits: (Note the Barnes Wallace 'bouncing bomb'. But don't mention the war.)

And the German reply:

• Liked: 70
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 06:34:09 PM »
I feel tired.  I thought holidays were to relax, not race about everywhere - get the sun loungers, then the breakfast.  And who the hell wants to be at a crowded pool squished up next to everyone else on a chair all day anyhow?  I'd totally be a towel mover if I saw a sea of otherwise empty sun loungers.  Actually, until now I'd just assume that they came with colourful towels all laid out for me!

Thanks for the clip @KFdancer

• Liked: 585
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 07:10:15 PM »
I have never been on a beach resort holiday in my life, and this just basically confirms that I've been making the right decision all along!

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 07:14:47 PM »
I have never been on a beach resort holiday in my life, and this just basically confirms that I've been making the right decision all along!

You have 100% being making the right choice.

I have to compromise some with my husband.  The beach holiday was all my husband ever wanted to do.  I finally took him to my parent's house after we had been together nearly 4 years and now he "gets" why I don't do beach holidays.  I never needed to.  Luckily he's happy to have visits with my parents and we can skip the resorts.  Now we see cities and countryside.  :)

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 07:15:38 PM »
I feel tired.  I thought holidays were to relax, not race about everywhere - get the sun loungers, then the breakfast.  And who the hell wants to be at a crowded pool squished up next to everyone else on a chair all day anyhow?  I'd totally be a towel mover if I saw a sea of otherwise empty sun loungers.  Actually, until now I'd just assume that they came with colourful towels all laid out for me!

Thanks for the clip @KFdancer

I do not want to be at a crowded pool.  Which is why I pay too much money for my holidays!  ;)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 09:15:21 AM »
I don't even want to go on a holiday where I'm risking getting in a physical altercation over a sun lounger/chair LOL

It's just not the type of holiday for me...lol
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 116
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 09:59:20 AM »
Link?  I wanna see!   ;D

If I find a specific one I'll let you know, but it's a pretty frequent topic of conversation over there.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 10:06:03 AM »
If I find a specific one I'll let you know, but it's a pretty frequent topic of conversation over there.

Ahh.  I was hoping it had all kicked off because of this new service by TC.   ;)

Sponsored Links