Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I'm old  (Read 2826 times)

• Liked: 1327
Re: I'm old
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2018, 11:38:24 AM »
Oh my goodness kiss of Death, were you born after the fall of the Berlin Wall?

She's not going to know the answer to that without Googling.  To her, the Berlin Wall is a historical thing that has just always been down.  And computers were always in people's homes.  The internet was a thing people had at home by the time she was in elementary school!  She can probably remember when most people didn't have mobiles, but she can't really fathom how people got on without them.

And I am much older than I realized.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 11:39:36 AM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 11:50:39 AM »
I think we scared her off with all this creepy speculation

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 11:54:16 AM »
I've got a daughter who's 14 now and I think back to my first proper date where I took a 13 Year old to a Talking Heads concert and smoked a doobie with her.  Oh well, at least the music was proper.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 11:56:37 AM »
I've got a daughter who's 14 now and I think back to my first proper date where I took a 13 Year old to a Talking Heads concert and smoked a doobie with her.  Oh well, at least the music was proper.

Uhhhh... you might want to edit this and add in your age at the time...  you pedo!!   ;D ;D ;D

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 11:57:23 AM »
Oh my goodness kiss of Death, were you born after the fall of the Berlin Wall?  I've got a pair of binoculars older than you, and a backpack.  I actually could have been your father except for the apparent good judgement of your mother.
What a bizarre turn this thread has taken.  It's JF KIMBERLEY'S fault.

I was born just barely after the fall of the Berlin wall. Same month/year lol

I think we scared her off with all this creepy speculation

It takes a lot more than that to creep me out haha

She's not going to know the answer to that without Googling.  To her, the Berlin Wall is a historical thing that has just always been down.  And computers were always in people's homes.  The internet was a thing people had at home by the time she was in elementary school!  She can probably remember when most people didn't have mobiles, but she can't really fathom how people got on without them.

And I am much older than I realized.

FFS I'm not that young and uneducated hahaha I do know about the Berlin Wall LOL Should I question what kind of vibe I'm giving off? I didn't have a mobile until I was a teenager and I absolutely can fathom what it's like without them (though they have definitely increased quality of life in many ways just as they also have some serious negatives).

On a more serious note though, this is literally why I hate saying how old I am to people. I am quite close with my oldest sister who's 41 and can chat with her friends, but the second they find out how much younger than her I am, it's like "oh, you're such a baby!" (which I know is meant as a compliment).

My 20th high school reunion is this year.  No idea how this is possible, as I'm on 21!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Not possible! Mine is only 10 years this year so yours CAN'T be 20! :p

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 11:58:25 AM »
Uhhhh... you might want to edit this and add in your age at the time...  you pedo!!   ;D ;D ;D

hahah this is fair play.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2018, 12:49:47 PM »

This was last week.  I'm in a polyamorous relationship with current wife.

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2018, 01:08:28 PM »
FFS I'm not that young and uneducated hahaha I do know about the Berlin Wall LOL Should I question what kind of vibe I'm giving off? I didn't have a mobile until I was a teenager and I absolutely can fathom what it's like without them (though they have definitely increased quality of life in many ways just as they also have some serious negatives).

On a more serious note though, this is literally why I hate saying how old I am to people. I am quite close with my oldest sister who's 41 and can chat with her friends, but the second they find out how much younger than her I am, it's like "oh, you're such a baby!" (which I know is meant as a compliment).

Yeah, that wasn't fair for me to say.  You do seem ... well, a lot like myself, for better or worse.  But definitely not uninformed!

Your age difference to your sister is even greater than the space between my little sister and me.  Neither one of us is normal, so the age difference hasn't been significant in our interactions.  :P

My 20th high school reunion is this year.  No idea how this is possible, as I'm on 21!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Not possible! Mine is only 10 years this year so yours CAN'T be 20! :p

I'm at 27 years in May... twenty-seven!

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2018, 01:16:45 PM »

I'm at 27 years in May... twenty-seven!

What sucks is how unbelievably lame the reunion is going to be.  It's going to be light hor d'oeuvres and a cash bar for two hours.  Not that I think it should be a "whole thing" but who in the world would travel in and pay $75/head for that?!? 

I was very much a misfit in my high school class so not a priority for me.  Though it would be nice to see some people.  I was kind of friends-with-everyone yet good-friends-with-no-one in my class.  Most of my friends went to another school and/or were different year groups to me.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2018, 02:07:15 PM »
My 20th school reunion is this year.  I'm going.

Because A.) Got stupidly cheap flights B.) I'm desperate to see my family and this fits in and  C.) Though I was a 'smart kid' (this was a 'type' in my school) and a band geek (another 'type') who was shy and certainly wasn't popular ..... No one knew I was actually cool,  8)......hahahha.......  I was bullied when I was young, but once I joined band, I had my tribe.   
I come from a small town and we have all known each other since we were small.  We all wanted out of our dreadful, dire small town and wanted to take on the world. (Like your average Hollywood film where we're going to move to the other side of the world to go to college and become rich and famous.)  20 years on, based upon on Facebook group, 95% of them have settled back in and around our hometown, all married to each other, all doing everyday things, raising kids, doing ordinary jobs, and generally living a happy existence. And that's nice. 
And well, really, I'm doing the same, only I live in Scotland and have my British husband.  But I'm feeling all zen about going, calm and chilled and thinking that actually, it will be all good.  J will be amused to meet folks that I grew up with who no doubt will tell him funny stories about me and he can tell them funny stories about me, even though no one will understand his accent.  It's cheap at $25/head, going to be held in the summer at a restaurant that has a huge deck and terrace on a lake, food and a live band.  (Chances are, I know these musicians, even though I've not lived in the area since I left high school in 1998, because that's what kind of town it is)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2018, 02:09:43 PM »
What sucks is how unbelievably lame the reunion is going to be.  It's going to be light hor d'oeuvres and a cash bar for two hours.  Not that I think it should be a "whole thing" but who in the world would travel in and pay $75/head for that?!? 

I was very much a misfit in my high school class so not a priority for me.  Though it would be nice to see some people.  I was kind of friends-with-everyone yet good-friends-with-no-one in my class.  Most of my friends went to another school and/or were different year groups to me.

$75/person only for there to be a cash bar?!  That's crazy!  What do you get for the money?  Is it at some incredible location?  If so, I think the organizers' priorities were a bit off.  With enough booze, people would be happy to reunite at the Walmart parking lot.

I transferred in to my graduating high school in the middle of my junior year.  I made plenty of friends so never had to eat lunch alone, but I didn't form any particularly strong bonds with anybody in my class.  I didn't go to my 10-* or 20-**year reunions, and most likely won't go to my 30th***, either.

* I was in Ohio finishing grad school and couldn't take the time.
** I was living it up in Los Angeles and didn't want to make the trip.
*** I expect to be here, and if I couldn't make the trip from Ohio or LA to Arkansas, I'm certainly not going to do it from Wales!

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2018, 02:14:23 PM »

Because A.) Got stupidly cheap flights B.) I'm desperate to see my family and this fits in and  C.) Though I was a 'smart kid' (this was a 'type' in my school) and a band geek (another 'type') who was shy and certainly wasn't popular ..... No one knew I was actually cool,  8)......hahahha.......  I was bullied when I was young, but once I joined band, I had my tribe.   
I come from a small town and we have all known each other since we were small.  We all wanted out of our dreadful, dire small town and wanted to take on the world. (Like your average Hollywood film where we're going to move to the other side of the world to go to college and become rich and famous.)  20 years on, based upon on Facebook group, 95% of them have settled back in and around our hometown, all married to each other, all doing everyday things, raising kids, doing ordinary jobs, and generally living a happy existence. And that's nice. 
And well, really, I'm doing the same, only I live in Scotland and have my British husband.  But I'm feeling all zen about going, calm and chilled and thinking that actually, it will be all good.  J will be amused to meet folks that I grew up with who no doubt will tell him funny stories about me and he can tell them funny stories about me, even though no one will understand his accent.  It's cheap at $25/head, going to be held in the summer at a restaurant that has a huge deck and terrace on a lake, food and a live band.  (Chances are, I know these musicians, even though I've not lived in the area since I left high school in 1998, because that's what kind of town it is)

$25/person is very reasonable.  This sounds like it's worth going to, if you are desperate to get home, anyway, and you have known those people practically your whole life.  None of those things is true for me.  :/

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2018, 02:18:41 PM »
Yeah, that wasn't fair for me to say.  You do seem ... well, a lot like myself, for better or worse.  But definitely not uninformed!

Your age difference to your sister is even greater than the space between my little sister and me.  Neither one of us is normal, so the age difference hasn't been significant in our interactions.  :P

I know you didn't mean it in a negative way or anything. The worst though is seeing people a few years older than me complaining about Millennials and I'm like "dude...you're a Millenial! If you were born in 1983, you're a Millennial!" lol

Yeahhhh i don't even bother planning trips home around school reunions as I just wasn't a "school person" and everybody I want to stay in touch with I have on FB (and then some!). I can't imagine paying $75 pp to sit with people I'm not even bothered about seeing! Unless maayyyybee it was an open bar! And even then, it's iffy.

My, how time flies....

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2018, 02:21:44 PM »

Band members are my school were extremely close knit.

I was a cheerleader AND a drama geek.  So the ying and yang.  Ate lunch with the honor students.

I don't want to pay Florida flight prices in the summer holidays... at least not until I have to!

JF - it's a rooftop bar overlooking Tampa Bay.  I think it's a trendy place and the main cost is to have it exclusively for a couple of hours on a Saturday night.  It *may* include a drink or two, but honestly I'm not sure that it does.

There are people I'd love to see and catch up with.  But I don't think a short reunion will really be the place to do it.  As and when I am in town at the same time as others or are in their area, I try to meet up with them then.

There is one good friend from high school who I completely lost touch with and I now have her contact details.  That, I'm very pleased about.  :)

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2018, 02:26:33 PM »

I was a cheerleader AND a drama geek.  So the ying and yang.  Ate lunch with the honor students.

People don't tend to believe me, but I too was a cheerleader at the beginning of high school haha AND I was a drama geek (crew) at the beginning of high school too. Weird to be doing what's considered two polar opposites at the same time looking back on it
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab