Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: OK....I give up  (Read 5594 times)

• Liked: 73
Re: OK....I give up
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 10:45:13 AM »
This is my fourth winter back in the UK and definitely the worst as even in London, it snowed! This weekend, I brought inside some of my smaller spring flowers. I hope they are grateful because outside other plants are covered in snow...again!

Not helping is the fact that the electrical switch to our shower is not working so it is bucket and bowl to bathe until I can get an electrician.

By the time this weather passes, we may have missed spring and gone straight into summer! However, I do remember many years ago, as a child, I visited our family farm in Berkshire and had to help pull new born lambs out of the snow at Easter time.
Married 1966, left UK 1969, returned 1998, left again 2000, returned June 2014 (husband on spousal visa) granted FLR(M) November 30th 2016  and ILR on  24th May, 2019. Yeah!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 11:04:17 AM »
Och, it's not that bad!  We had snow flurries and hailstones yesterday, but at least the crocus (croci?) are coming up, so there's a bit of colour.

• Liked: 154
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2018, 04:23:46 PM »
Och, it's not that bad!  We had snow flurries and hailstones yesterday, but at least the crocus (croci?) are coming up, so there's a bit of colour.

My flowers I’ve planted are still there even through the cold/snow! It gives me hope when you start seeing color again

• Liked: 957
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2018, 04:25:27 PM »

This is my fourth winter back in the UK and definitely the worst as even in London, it snowed! This weekend, I brought inside some of my smaller spring flowers. I hope they are grateful because outside other plants are covered in snow...again!

Not helping is the fact that the electrical switch to our shower is not working so it is bucket and bowl to bathe until I can get an electrician.

By the time this weather passes, we may have missed spring and gone straight into summer! However, I do remember many years ago, as a child, I visited our family farm in Berkshire and had to help pull new born lambs out of the snow at Easter time.

I hope you can get an electrician soon!

That farm memory is sweet. Does your family still farm here or has it been sold? (need to get to the Wokingham Saturday Market soon!)

Buffalo always seemed to go straight from winter to summer the past few years. It'd snow, we'd have just enough time at reasonable temps to clean the yard and then it'd be blazing hot til September. I'm looking forward to the more moderate summer temps here!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2018, 04:36:47 PM »
No, the farm was given up years ago! I think the younger family members emigrated to Australia. I had long gone to the Caribbean by then so lost touch. I loved visiting there though and had a crush on the farm hand, Alan!!

The weather here is not really that bad. Strange though as I was walking my five miles a day goal on Friday in the sun and some people were in strappy tops and shirtsleeves....next day, snowing! The thing is we Brits complain  all the time about the weather! It is either 'We haven’t had a summer this year' or, when the sun does come out 'Its much too hot'!

Married 1966, left UK 1969, returned 1998, left again 2000, returned June 2014 (husband on spousal visa) granted FLR(M) November 30th 2016  and ILR on  24th May, 2019. Yeah!

• Liked: 674
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 09:14:32 PM »
Ok, I'll fess up.  It's my fault. The return of the cold and snow.

I took the aluminum foil off of all my vents last week when it got nice outside.  (The vents that had gale-force cold coming in over Beast From The East.) And washed my windows.

Foil is back on.  It's to be 10c out tomorrow. Practically summer.

So, apparently, it's the tinfoil in my kitchen and bathrooms that controls the weather in the UK.

Sorry! ;)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 09:23:43 AM »
No, the farm was given up years ago! I think the younger family members emigrated to Australia. I had long gone to the Caribbean by then so lost touch. I loved visiting there though and had a crush on the farm hand, Alan!!

The weather here is not really that bad. Strange though as I was walking my five miles a day goal on Friday in the sun and some people were in strappy tops and shirtsleeves....next day, snowing! The thing is we Brits complain  all the time about the weather! It is either 'We haven’t had a summer this year' or, when the sun does come out 'Its much too hot'!

Have you tried switching the main power off and back on again?  That fixed my shower a few weeks ago!  It's called an air lock when there is a change of pressure.

• Liked: 149
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 09:44:37 AM »
Ok, I'll fess up.  It's my fault. The return of the cold and snow.

I took the aluminum foil off of all my vents last week when it got nice outside.  (The vents that had gale-force cold coming in over Beast From The East.) And washed my windows.

Foil is back on.  It's to be 10c out tomorrow. Practically summer.

So, apparently, it's the tinfoil in my kitchen and bathrooms that controls the weather in the UK.

Sorry! ;)
Then the answer is obvious....please leave the damn foil on!!! At least wait until it's well over 10C out. Although, out of curiosity....do you think there was any effect on the rain as well? ;D
Fred

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 11:11:37 AM »
Have you tried switching the main power off and back on again?  That fixed my shower a few weeks ago!  It's called an air lock when there is a change of pressure.

It was actually the switch that turns on the power to the shower. We had it fixed yesterday and the
wires were burnt. Will keep your suggestion in mind though for any future problems.....thanks!

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 11:31:40 AM »
I've got the same thing going as you Nan, but I wear the tin foil on my head like a hat.  It totally changes the weather.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2018, 11:36:28 AM »
It was actually the switch that turns on the power to the shower. We had it fixed yesterday and the
wires were burnt. Will keep your suggestion in mind though for any future problems.....thanks!

Yikes!  Burned wires is scary!

• Liked: 718
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2018, 11:53:13 AM »
It didn’t help to hear this morning that in 1972 today’s high was 22. Oh how I am ready for some of that.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2018, 11:59:31 AM »
It didn’t help to hear this morning that in 1972 today’s high was 22. Oh how I am ready for some of that.

That would be lovely :).

One of my colleagues has just spent 3 months on Ascension Island, where it's 25-30 degrees all year round... and she came home this weekend to freezing temperatures and snow!

I thought it was bad when I did the same 4 years ago... but it was about 15 degrees in the UK in March then :P.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2018, 01:24:52 PM »
It's beautiful today where we are, warm and sunny. :) I like a bit of weather though! It gets boring if it's the same all the time!  :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2018, 02:08:19 PM »
Was quite sunny yesterday and my black Land Rover was parked in a very sunny spot.  Turned on the car and the thermometer said 21º. Laughed and went, ohhhhhhhhhhhh that would be nice. It settled back down into the 7º it actually was (and then the temperature dropped quick once the sun when down). 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links