Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Marriage Visitor Visa Questions  (Read 4348 times)

• Liked: 9
Re: Marriage Visitor Visa Questions
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2018, 10:49:42 PM »
How quickly is a spouse visa processed once we are married? I don't have a problem marrying in a different state. Reading up on that law the new marriage before 6 months wouldn't be legal in the state I live in (which is no problem as I won't be here) but I'd be worried about the penalties that could be attached (fines, jail time, etc.) because nothing says it's void out of this state.
Met: (On Facebook) 11 February 2017
Met in person: 19 October 2017
Engaged: 21 June 2018
Married: 31 October 2018 (Chicago, IL)
Online App Submitted (Settlement, Wife w/2 children) : 14 January 2019
Biometrics appointment : 23 January 2019
Docs sent to NY : 23 January 2019
Doc received in NY : 24 January 2019
Docs received in Sheffield email : 03 March 2019
Decision made email received : 03 April 2019 (REFUSED)
Visa received :

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 09:31:50 AM »
How quickly is a spouse visa processed once we are married? I don't have a problem marrying in a different state. Reading up on that law the new marriage before 6 months wouldn't be legal in the state I live in (which is no problem as I won't be here) but I'd be worried about the penalties that could be attached (fines, jail time, etc.) because nothing says it's void out of this state.

Are you in Wisconsin?  I looked it up and it applies to marrying anywhere in the world!  That’s crazy.  But if it’s the law...   ::)

Spouse visas and fiancé visas are the exact same processing time.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 12:08:10 PM »
The processing times can vary. In the summer priority often stretches to 3+ months, non priority even longer. And when there are children they sometimes end up putting you in the "not straight forward" pile to ensure all the checks are completed. You can't predict exactly how long it'll take :(

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2018, 09:17:19 PM »
Talking about our options we have to wait 6 months regardless (unless the law magically changes overnight) so we are more than likely going to marry in the United States once I'm able and then apply for the spouse visa.

My new question is between now and October am I able to come and visit him in the UK? I would really like to bring my children soon so they can get acquainted and at least have a holiday with all of us together. Since I was  refused entry on the last attempt we are reading it is probably best to apply for a standard visitor visa, is that correct? Will my application cover my children or do I need to file separately for each of them (8 and 12). Is there anything else you could recommend? Thank you in advance the past few days have been extremely overwhelming but I'm glad we were able to find help here.
Visa received :

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2018, 08:55:23 AM »
Honestly, meeting the kids and such before the commitment is a very wise idea.  I know that's not the advice you are here for, but it's a huge move for the kids and they need to be happy.

Yes, it is highly recommended to apply for a visitor visa in advance after a refused entry.

You will need to provide:
 - proposed travel itenerary with return flights (do not book anything until the visa is received)
 - proof of a job to return to (letter from employer stating you are due back at work on xx day
 - proof of a home you will be maintaining while visiting (copy of lease or mortgage statement
 - bank statements showing adequate funds to support your visit

The shorter the trip is for (a week or two) the less scrutiny there will be on the trip.  The longer the trip (a month plus) the more scrutiny there will be.

Be sure to travel with adequate travel and medical insurance for everyone.  An unpaid NHS bill of £500 will result in an automatic refusal of a future visa.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 11:43:47 AM »
Since I was  refused entry on the last attempt we are reading it is probably best to apply for a standard visitor visa, is that correct? Will my application cover my children or do I need to file separately for each of them (8 and 12). Is there anything else you could recommend?

Home schooling if you stay for a while. Visitors to the UK are not allowed to use the state schools for their children.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 11:47:00 AM by Sirius »

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2018, 12:59:19 PM »
Honestly, meeting the kids and such before the commitment is a very wise idea.  I know that's not the advice you are here for, but it's a huge move for the kids and they need to be happy.

Yes, it is highly recommended to apply for a visitor visa in advance after a refused entry.

You will need to provide:
 - proposed travel itenerary with return flights (do not book anything until the visa is received)
 - proof of a job to return to (letter from employer stating you are due back at work on xx day
 - proof of a home you will be maintaining while visiting (copy of lease or mortgage statement
 - bank statements showing adequate funds to support your visit

The shorter the trip is for (a week or two) the less scrutiny there will be on the trip.  The longer the trip (a month plus) the more scrutiny there will be.

Be sure to travel with adequate travel and medical insurance for everyone.  An unpaid NHS bill of £500 will result in an automatic refusal of a future visa.

Thank you and yes having some real face time is important for all.  :)
Ok so here's where it gets tricky. I have a few more questions...

Travel itenerary - just proposed flight dates or everything we plan to do while we are there?

Proof of job - I've been a stay at home mom for the past 10 years I am not currently working?? It is written in the divorce decree that my ex has to cover our living expenses while in the UK until I am able to work will that help anything? We are also still covered under his health insurance policy. Will my current partner have to complete the sponsorship form for this as well since he is contributing to the cost of our trip? And what about the VAF4A appendix 2 or is that just for the other visas?

Proof of home - Currently living with my ex renting from family so there is not a current lease agreement in place. I am able to return here after the visit that's not a problem but since there's not a lease agreement in place I don't know how to handle that? I could definitely have one written as long as that's not falsifying documents?

Bank statements - Again wouldn't be coming out of my account so not sure how to approach that but can get them from my fiance.

Will the children be covered on my visitor visa or do I have to apply for one for each of us?

In regards to length of visit... obviously the more time we could spend the better but I would rather have a visit for a day than not at all. 6-8 weeks would be ideaol if I'm being honest but considering I've been mentally destroyed so many times I can be realistic, I just don't know what that is.

Also funny someone mentioned homeschooling as I have been homeschooling my children the past few years so at least we're covered there. Finally something that's not a huge question.  ::) :P :D

Thanks again for all the help about to head to the final divorce hearing soon I hope that goes as planned, or better!!
Visa received :

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 01:17:47 PM »
You would each need a visitor visa.

Honestly, based on the previous refusal and your current circumstances, I do not think you will be successful in getting a visitor visa.  Just being honest.  You don't have enough ties to the USA to make the Entry Clearance Officer believe you'll definitely return to the USA at the end of your visit.

You could try for it with a statement of support from your fiance.  But I suspect it will be a refusal.

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 01:30:28 PM »
Oh my this just keeps getting worse  :\\\'( :\\\'( :\\\'( Thank you for your honest answers though I'd rather know now than go through all the trouble just to be denied.
Visa received :

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 01:39:43 PM »
Oh my this just keeps getting worse  :\\\'( :\\\'( :\\\'( Thank you for your honest answers though I'd rather know now than go through all the trouble just to be denied.

Work with your fiance and try to answer the ECO's main question - which will be "do I believe this person will leave the UK and return to the USA when they say they will?"

They will want strong ties to the USA for why you must return.  As a visitor visa is meant for tourism.

These things have a way of working out.  It might be that he has to visit you instead of you coming here (which is a shame as it would be good for the kids to get a feel for the UK).  But before long, this time will have passed and you'll be able to move forward together.

Have you had a look at how you'll qualify for the visa?  I think you said he is self-employed?  If so, that is worth looking at now before he files his final accounts for the year (if its not too late).

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2018, 03:08:19 PM »
Thank you all for your advice up to this point, I feel we have been saved a lot of stress and heartache finding this community.

My divorce was finalized yesterday and we DO have the 6 month mandatory wait until I can remarry.  :\\\'( :\\\'( :\\\'(

So we have decided he is going to come and visit me and the children SOON!  ;D

Then he will come back end of October so we can get married and apply for the spouse visa after that.

I suppose it's a good idea to start gathering what information we can now and stay organized moving forward it seems a bit complex and I don't want to miss anything or risk a denial on the application. I have read about whatsapp and email conversations, what about facebook messenger? I only have wifi access where I live because it is so rural so whatsapp doesn't work for me and we do a LOT of free video calls via facebook, that's where all of our communication has been.

Thank you again, I can't say it enough. Hopefully one day my experiences can help someone else make their dream come true as well.
Visa received :

• Liked: 957
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2018, 03:13:29 PM »
Thank you all for your advice up to this point, I feel we have been saved a lot of stress and heartache finding this community.

My divorce was finalized yesterday and we DO have the 6 month mandatory wait until I can remarry.  :\\\'( :\\\'( :\\\'(

So we have decided he is going to come and visit me and the children SOON!  ;D

Then he will come back end of October so we can get married and apply for the spouse visa after that.

I suppose it's a good idea to start gathering what information we can now and stay organized moving forward it seems a bit complex and I don't want to miss anything or risk a denial on the application. I have read about whatsapp and email conversations, what about facebook messenger? I only have wifi access where I live because it is so rural so whatsapp doesn't work for me and we do a LOT of free video calls via facebook, that's where all of our communication has been.

Thank you again, I can't say it enough. Hopefully one day my experiences can help someone else make their dream come true as well.
Does Google hangouts work for you? I'd include what you have, but Facebook is generally not the best because of the identity challenges that go with the service. We did screenshots of the message heading for hangouts messages and calls over the 4 years we were apart. I just pasted a few from every 3 month interval onto 3 sheets in a word doc. You don't want to include content, just show you've stayed in touch. I also included flight confirmations because I hadn't saved boarding passes, and a couple of greeting cards.

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2018, 03:41:48 PM »
Thanks! I do have boarding passes from my first visit and from when we tried to go back in February. I will get his from any future visits as well. Will definitely try to switch to google hangouts moving forward and get screen shots from what we have so far as you described. I'll make sure to stash other proof along the way (letters, cards, photos) and then we'll pick the best to send in when it's time.
Visa received :

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 04:45:43 PM »
Glad you are formulating a plan to move forward.  And at least the divorce bit is behind you.

Have you determined if your fiance is self employed or not?  That's a really big thing to tackle now.

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2018, 03:04:02 PM »
Glad you are formulating a plan to move forward.  And at least the divorce bit is behind you.

Have you determined if your fiance is self employed or not?  That's a really big thing to tackle now.

He has been reading along and is going to register within the next few days so he can join the conversation. I just don't know much about it and would feel more comfortable if he'd explain that part. Thank you !! :)
Visa received :

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab