Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Marriage Visitor Visa Questions  (Read 4349 times)

• Liked: 387
Re: Marriage Visitor Visa Questions
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2018, 02:36:34 PM »
As stamar2018 clarified, you do not need to contact anyone or apply for anything unless you plan on remaining in the USA after marriage to a US citizen and taking up residence.  From the official guidance: 

If you wish to marry a U.S. citizen in the United States and take up indefinite residence after marriage, you will require a fiancé(e) visa. You are eligible to apply for a fiancé(e) visa if:

- You and your fiancé(e) are both legally free to marry; and
- You will marry within 90 days of entering the United States on the fiancé(e) visa.
If you meet the criteria for a fiance visa, your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) visa is required to file a petition, form I-129F on your behalf with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Please note: if you do not intend taking up indefinite residence but will continue to live and work outside the United States after the marriage ceremony, you should apply for a B-2 visa, or if eligible, travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/

(underlined portions mine)

What you could do for extra security and peace of mind is to print the page and have it with you when you're going through immigration to prove you understand the rules (that's what we did).  My other half got pulled into another room for extra questioning when he said he was entering the US as a visitor to marry me, but said the "extra questioning" was just making sure that he understood he wouldn't be able to stay in the US and would need a proper spouse visa later if he wished to move to the US to live after the marriage.  Was then told congratulations and a joke about how it wasn't too late and the IO could offer to refuse him entry if he wanted to do a last minute panic runner.  But overall, he said it was a pleasant experience, even with the extra questioning.

• Liked: 9
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2018, 10:24:48 PM »
Hello, hello :)
So very grateful to have found this forum it has helped tremendously wish we would have found it sooner!!!
As Mark has updated we are making progress, slowly but surely we will get to where we want to be. He is going to come back to the states in October so we can get married. We will have the last of the payslips hopefully first week in January so we can submit the visa application then (though I'm sure we will have a few more questions between then and now :o ;D ). So what I'm wondering at this point, as we're trying to curb any problems before they arise, is how do we handle the name change after the wedding. I'm assuming I will be submitting the visa in my new married name so will I have to order a new passport, id card, etc. to match? Or is there another way to go about it? I'm a bit worried about processing times with the U.S. holidays in Nov/Dec that could add extra time to obtaining those documents as well as additional costs. We'd like to submit the visa application as soon as we get that final payslip since we'd have everything else we need before then. Thanks in advance!! We are so excited things are moving along and wouldn't be at this point if not for all of your help!!  ;D
Met: (On Facebook) 11 February 2017
Met in person: 19 October 2017
Engaged: 21 June 2018
Married: 31 October 2018 (Chicago, IL)
Online App Submitted (Settlement, Wife w/2 children) : 14 January 2019
Biometrics appointment : 23 January 2019
Docs sent to NY : 23 January 2019
Doc received in NY : 24 January 2019
Docs received in Sheffield email : 03 March 2019
Decision made email received : 03 April 2019 (REFUSED)
Visa received :

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2018, 06:03:07 AM »
So very grateful to have found this forum it has helped tremendously wish we would have found it sooner!!!
As Mark has updated we are making progress, slowly but surely we will get to where we want to be. He is going to come back to the states in October so we can get married. We will have the last of the payslips hopefully first week in January so we can submit the visa application then (though I'm sure we will have a few more questions between then and now :o ;D ). So what I'm wondering at this point, as we're trying to curb any problems before they arise, is how do we handle the name change after the wedding. I'm assuming I will be submitting the visa in my new married name so will I have to order a new passport, id card, etc. to match? Or is there another way to go about it? I'm a bit worried about processing times with the U.S. holidays in Nov/Dec that could add extra time to obtaining those documents as well as additional costs. We'd like to submit the visa application as soon as we get that final payslip since we'd have everything else we need before then. Thanks in advance!! We are so excited things are moving along and wouldn't be at this point if not for all of your help!!  ;D

If you do intend to change your name then doing it before you start the process is definitely the easiest way to do it. Otherwise you have to try to time your passport application with one of the next visa applications. If you don't synch it with a visa application there is extra time and expense involved.
The visa will only be issued in the name on your passport.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2018, 09:32:26 AM »
Bite the bullet and wait the extra couple of weeks to have your passport in your married name (if that's what you want).  A few weeks in the grand scheme of things won't be the end of the world - though I get it will seem much longer.

It will mean that you may need an extra payslip, depending on when your new passport is issued.

« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2018, 03:27:22 PM »
I figured that was going to be the answer, hopefully it all works out and doesn't push things too far back. Thanks again!!! ;D
Visa received :

« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2018, 03:31:09 PM »
I figured that was going to be the answer, hopefully it all works out and doesn't push things too far back. Thanks again!!! ;D

It is what it is.  It may delay things.  It may mean you are not together for Christmas.  But it'll also mean that you'll share a name and if you have children, you'll have the same name on their birth certificates.  Worth a short wait (in my opinion). 

• It's never too late to live happily ever after
  • Liked: 219
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2018, 10:07:38 PM »
I have been reading your story, best of luck on your upcoming wedding.. I as you did back in April, just now found this site and have been so grateful for everybody here.. my fiance and I were planning on getting married in the UK next year after my fiancee visa would have been approved... Like you i am waiting on my divorce to be final, unlike your state, Texas just has a 30 day waiting period to re-marry... I was going file for a fiancee visa until we just had too many questions and no help and then we found this site and oh lordy am I glad I found it... He now is going to come back here and we get married in October as well, then I will have to file for a Spouse visa... I too am curious about  getting your passport with your name change, I will have to do that as well and DL and SS#...ughhh...
I know this is the best way and can't wait ... 
Found My Soulmate 12/2017
Engaged : 6/15/2018
Married : 10/28/2018
Priority Spouse Online App Submitted : 11/19/2018
Biometrics appointment : 11/23/2018
Docs sent to NY : 11/23/2018
Doc received in NY : 11/26/2018
Docs received in Sheffield email :12/21/2018
Email requesting proof of Priority Service : 1/26/2019
Email stating "technical issue which is delaying this application : 1/30/2019
Email requesting bank statements to be re-sent : 2/14/2019
2nd Email requesting bank statements: 3/4/19
Decision made email: 3/6/19
Visa : YESS 3/7/19 (70BD)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2018, 05:52:28 AM »
I have been reading your story, best of luck on your upcoming wedding.. I as you did back in April, just now found this site and have been so grateful for everybody here.. my fiance and I were planning on getting married in the UK next year after my fiancee visa would have been approved... Like you i am waiting on my divorce to be final, unlike your state, Texas just has a 30 day waiting period to re-marry... I was going file for a fiancee visa until we just had too many questions and no help and then we found this site and oh lordy am I glad I found it... He now is going to come back here and we get married in October as well, then I will have to file for a Spouse visa... I too am curious about  getting your passport with your name change, I will have to do that as well and DL and SS#...ughhh...

You can add the divorce certificate to your list of required supporting documents. Even though you will be legally remarried by the time you apply, they will not approve the visa without seeing that the divorce was legal also!

« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2018, 05:08:34 PM »
Hey everyone we are back!! Hope you are all doing well. Mark just visited for 2 (very short) weeks and in that time we were married in Chicago, IL!!!  ;D ;D ;D I'm currently working on name change, still gathering our documents and going to begin the application again now that we're applying for the correct visa. One question I had thought of is in regards to contacts for me that side. Is it better to have more people I know listed in that section, just a few or somewhere in the middle. I do know quite a few I could add but don't want it to look like too much either so was wondering your thoughts on that? I'm excited we are moving forward it's been a lot of waiting and we only have a few more weeks to go until we have the proof of income and can think about submitting the application!!!!  ;D
Visa received :

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2018, 05:12:57 PM »
Congratulations!

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2018, 05:19:00 PM »
Congratulations on your wedding :).

One question I had thought of is in regards to contacts for me that side. Is it better to have more people I know listed in that section, just a few or somewhere in the middle. I do know quite a few I could add but don't want it to look like too much either so was wondering your thoughts on that?

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you mean by this. What contacts in which section?

« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2018, 07:06:38 PM »
Congratulations on your wedding :).

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you mean by this. What contacts in which section?

May be different on the spouse application but on the other we had started it asked for additional friends and family in the UK. Names, addresses, etc.
Visa received :

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2018, 07:10:52 PM »
May be different on the spouse application but on the other we had started it asked for additional friends and family in the UK. Names, addresses, etc.

I've never heard of that being asked on the spousal visa application form before (the online form is fairly generic, but I don't think anyone has mentioned a question like that before).

The only person in the UK that the spousal visa is concerned with is your UK sponsor.

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2018, 03:59:39 PM »
I've never heard of that being asked on the spousal visa application form before (the online form is fairly generic, but I don't think anyone has mentioned a question like that before).

The only person in the UK that the spousal visa is concerned with is your UK sponsor.

Sounds good thank you!  :)
Visa received :

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2018, 04:01:23 PM »

Congrats looks like our anniversaries are 2 days apart :) Just ordered my marriage certificate to start the name change process seems fairly easy just more fees and more time... where's the fast forward button when you need it lol
Visa received :

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab