Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: selling car fast  (Read 2199 times)

selling car fast
« on: May 01, 2018, 12:04:42 AM »
if i get my visa, i’m going to have to sell my car pretty quickly. does anyone have experience selling a vehicle to a company that simply pays lower end blue book value or something similar?

• Liked: 113
Re: selling car fast
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 12:50:00 AM »
if i get my visa, i’m going to have to sell my car pretty quickly. does anyone have experience selling a vehicle to a company that simply pays lower end blue book value or something similar?

Sold on craigslist for cash to a private buyer within 2 days of posting ad. Looked at Kelley Blue Book and other craigslist ads for ballpark figure.
#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 04:45:50 AM »

Yes! Best thing I ever did.

I had it advertised in the local vehicles for sale free paper and got nothing but time wasters at a point where I had no time to spare. So I took it to one of those places and it couldn't have been easier. Got a fair price and the car off my hands in a couple of hours, start to finish.  :)

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 05:06:10 AM »

I had it advertised in the local vehicles for sale free paper and got nothing but time wasters at a point where I had no time to spare. So I took it to one of those places and it couldn't have been easier. Got a fair price and the car off my hands in a couple of hours, start to finish.  :)

was it a national company? what was the name?

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 05:12:38 AM »
was it a national company? what was the name?

Yes, CarMax. It made life so much easier!  :)

https://www.carmax.com/stores

• Liked: 676
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 08:28:27 AM »

I had a similar experience (in the USA). Placed adverts and got time-wasters on Craigslist. I had listed the price as firm, non-negotiable, and I still had idiots showing up and offering me 1/3 of the asking price. Or making appointments to view the car and not showing up. MANY time-wasters.

So I went to a CarMax place and was given a $500 quote for my old beater car. It was in good shape, but not in market demand. They do look at the local market when they make a quote, as well as the condition of the car.  I should have taken that offer on the spot, but wanted $1,000. On the way home I got a check-engine light and so could not sell it to a private party "as is" without doing so as "scrap" unless I had the fault repaired. (State law.) 

So I ended up donating it to a local charity who came and got it, and who later sold it "as is" for $1,100. At least I got the tax write-off on it.   ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 08:30:52 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 20
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 12:53:25 PM »
In this situation a year ago, I sold my car to a relative who desperately needed a new car for a little below blue book value. It was much less stressful than dealing with Craigslist or or finding a company quickly. Could you ask around and see if any family members or friends are in the market for a used car? I was surprised at how many random cousins popped out of the woodwork wanting my vehicle when I put out the word!

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 01:05:36 PM »
In this situation a year ago, I sold my car to a relative who desperately needed a new car for a little below blue book value. It was much less stressful than dealing with Craigslist or or finding a company quickly. Could you ask around and see if any family members or friends are in the market for a used car? I was surprised at how many random cousins popped out of the woodwork wanting my vehicle when I put out the word!

They always used to say, never buy a car from or sell one to, someone you know!  ;D

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 01:07:41 PM »
They always used to say, never buy a car from or sell one to, someone you know!  ;D

This!

I also got a quote from CarMax so that I knew what I was "guaranteed" but I was able to sell for a couple of thousand more privately.  My timing worked out well.  I sold a few days before I moved and just rented a car for my final days.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 01:25:33 PM »

I sold mine to my mom for what was left (plus $500) on my loan. She got a really good deal.

It got hit though and it's been totaled. I feel for them. Some bad luck with vehicles lately.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 01:34:00 PM »
I sold mine to my mom for what was left (plus $500) on my loan. She got a really good deal.

It got hit though and it's been totaled. I feel for them. Some bad luck with vehicles lately.

Similarly, I sold my car to my dad.  He'd been driving it while I was abroad visiting, anyway, because I asked him to and he readily agreed because he liked the fuel economy.  So when I went home to apply for my visa, I sold it to him. He let me drive it during my visa wait, so I had transportation right up to the day I moved away, then he got a car that he was already familiar with and appreciated.  It was a win-win for us.  :)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 676
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 01:49:22 PM »
Nice.  :)

The Daughter sold her car to a friend. She took half down, and the rest was supposed to have been paid by Christmas.

Guess what has not been paid?  ::)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 03:06:04 PM »
Nice.  :)

The Daughter sold her car to a friend. She took half down, and the rest was supposed to have been paid by Christmas.

Guess what has not been paid?  ::)

When my father retired from the military and my family moved home from overseas, we sold our car to a local airman.  He paid half up front and was to make payments on the remainder... we never saw it.  Never ever do casual credit!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 03:20:21 PM »
Moms and dads are different though!  ;)

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 06:58:43 PM »
well sadly the majority of my family died, and all that’s left have more than enough cars way better than this one. will probably sell to carmax, but need to get the dog hair under control before i let them see it :P

Sponsored Links