Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Where did you meet your significant other?  (Read 15577 times)

• Liked: 1
Where did you meet your significant other?
« on: May 14, 2018, 11:10:16 PM »
Not sure if it's a right place for topic. BTW, where? Since here a lot of american-british couples...  :)

• Liked: 770
Re: Where did you meet your significant other?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 11:19:35 PM »
Not sure if it's a right place for topic. BTW, where? Since here a lot of american-british couples...  :)
On the Tagged app.

Happily married 1 year ago yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 11:34:17 PM »
On the Tagged app.

Happily married 1 year ago yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Congrats!

p.s. who I know using okcupid. Unsuccessfully.. (

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 10:53:27 AM »
Facebook, sort of?  My now-FIL and I had the same kind of benign brain tumor about a lifetime ago, and we were both members of an online support group for it.  In 2004, when I was almost three years post-op, I arranged to visit my now-FIL at his home when I was in England for a Christmas party with some non-tumor friends.  I even saw my now-husband's old bedroom (though I still didn't know anything about "the son")!  Anyway, my now-FIL and I remained in contact even after we moved on from treatment and resumed our normal lives.

Fast forward to 2011, we'd both made the jump to Facebook, and my now-FIL suggested I add his son as a friend because he thought we'd have a lot to talk about.  We'd been 'chatting' with each other in comments on my FIL's posts already, anyway, so I sent a friend request along with a message telling him his dad told me to add him... A year and a half later, he collected me from Heathrow for a long visit.  A year and three days after that, we were married.

So, yay for benign brain tumors!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:56:09 AM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 02:36:38 PM »
That's a really cool story jfkimberly!

Mine isn't real interesting. I didn't meet him and then move to the UK on a spousal visa or anything.  I moved here on my own on a work visa. And I was about 4 -5 months in and started using match.com. I met my now husband 9.5 months after I moved here on match.com and it turns out he lived right around the corner from me.  We got married after 7 years of being together.  A modern love story, I guess. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 03:08:09 PM »
That's a really cool story jfkimberly!

Mine isn't real interesting. I didn't meet him and then move to the UK on a spousal visa or anything.  I moved here on my own on a work visa. And I was about 4 -5 months in and started using match.com. I met my now husband 9.5 months after I moved here on match.com and it turns out he lived right around the corner from me.  We got married after 7 years of being together.  A modern love story, I guess.

KF came over on her own accord, too.  I think that shows a lot of initiative!  I had a friend who had a temporary contract that brought him to the UK in around 2005 or so, and I was going to look into what it took to do that, but his story about how much of a hassle it was talked me out of even beginning to investigate.  Living in the UK sounded exciting at the time, but I was far too lazy to do what it takes.  My husband was really worth all this effort of the last 6-ish years.  :P

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 03:12:10 PM »
Yup.  Like PB also here for work, so already living and working here.

Met speed dating though.  Three minutes really is all it takes.   ;D

• Liked: 6111
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 03:34:28 PM »
I was living and working in the US and I picked him up in a bar.. or maybe he picked me up, who knows?!  ;D

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 03:37:56 PM »
I was living and working in the US and I picked him up in a bar.. or maybe he picked me up, who knows?!  ;D

Love it!!

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 03:50:12 PM »

If you don't know who picked whom up, it's a good relationship.  Yay for mutual interest!  :)

• Liked: 958
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 04:23:43 PM »
Met through UK friends while visiting. The rest is history :) (we technically also met in a bar!)

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 04:26:01 PM »
The speed dating event was at a bar!   ;D

• Liked: 1893
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 05:06:06 PM »

I was driving my VW bus back to North Carolina from my short stint working at a hang gliding school in California.  I'd heard Colorado was cool and ended up hanging out around the  Rocky Mountains and was persuaded by some people from the youth hostel to go to Rocky Mountain National Park for tourism.  We stopped off at the little cafeteria / store at the highest point in the park.  I started chatting with the people who worked there and they told me that they all lived down in Estes Park and food and board was included in the job and there were more girls than guys working there.  I immediately applied and moved into the work housing.  A week or two later, one of the girls told me that she was getting a new room mate as the newest employee was flying in from Paris that night.  The next morning at breakfast, there was a 20 year old French girl sitting at the table all by herself so I introduced myself. 

Turns out she came to America because she didn't fancy coming to Britain  to learn English.  Jokes on her!

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 07:23:19 PM »
I was driving my VW bus back to North Carolina from my short stint working at a hang gliding school in California.  I'd heard Colorado was cool and ended up hanging out around the  Rocky Mountains and was persuaded by some people from the youth hostel to go to Rocky Mountain National Park for tourism.  We stopped off at the little cafeteria / store at the highest point in the park.  I started chatting with the people who worked there and they told me that they all lived down in Estes Park and food and board was included in the job and there were more girls than guys working there.  I immediately applied and moved into the work housing.  A week or two later, one of the girls told me that she was getting a new room mate as the newest employee was flying in from Paris that night.  The next morning at breakfast, there was a 20 year old French girl sitting at the table all by herself so I introduced myself. 

Turns out she came to America because she didn't fancy coming to Britain  to learn English.  Jokes on her!

I love this!   You’ve got the moves Jimbo!

• Liked: 1893
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 07:35:57 PM »
I love this!   You’ve got the moves Jimbo!

Thanks, it required some serious dedication to fend off all the other boys (loosers) for the entire summer. 

Sponsored Links