Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Which country to retire to for fun, culture, nightlife? Ireland,France, Spain?  (Read 13770 times)

• Liked: 1260
Very true it's down to a particular reason why someone decides to immigrate. Do you miss much about home and has your life been better in the UK?

Not particularly. There are always certain things I wish we had here (like food wise mostly) and there are occasions in fall when I get home sickness during autumn because of the small differences in culture or, this year (for the first time in the last 5 years) homesick during the summer because this consistent heat and summer weather has me nostalgic for a New England summer. But it's all few and far between really as there are things here I love that replace those things at home I miss on occasion and I do my best to stock up when I'm back home visiting. I go back to the US once a year (alternating every other Christmas) so it might be easier for me to miss those things less than others who aren't as fortunate to be able to do that might.

I was very lucky to adjust quite well to living over here quite quickly and it's been commented by people back home that the "UK suits me" and that I seem "happier here than they've ever noticed me being back at home" and I think that's probably true. Personally, my life has been better in the UK as I do feel happier and healthier (mentally and physically) over here than in the US. I am able to own a house over here in my 20's which probably wouldn't have happened for me for a long time in the US (Boston area is NOT cheap), I've got a career (which I would've struggled with in the US because I dropped out of college in my last year so don't have a degree), I've got a supportive husband who has helped get us into the position we're in and it would've hurt us if he had to start all over again in the US with his career (especially as he doesn't have a degree either), and we can afford to travel to all the places that would cost double the price on flights alone from the US.I've definitely matured in a way that only a person who's far away from their family can and it's been a good thing. I've got my life on a solid track that I may not be on if we chose the US (or I didn't agree to meet my now-husband at all).

Obviously other people have different experiences because they are different points in their life for their move than I am. I was working retail and living in the basement apartment of my parent's house so I only had to worry about paying my personal bills/groceries and paying off my student loans. I didn't have a massive salary or job title to worry about losing on or anything like that and I think that can be a really big factor in how quick a person adjusts to a new country and whether it's a positive or negative experience.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 3
Not particularly. There are always certain things I wish we had here (like food wise mostly) and there are occasions in fall when I get home sickness during autumn because of the small differences in culture or, this year (for the first time in the last 5 years) homesick during the summer because this consistent heat and summer weather has me nostalgic for a New England summer. But it's all few and far between really as there are things here I love that replace those things at home I miss on occasion and I do my best to stock up when I'm back home visiting. I go back to the US once a year (alternating every other Christmas) so it might be easier for me to miss those things less than others who aren't as fortunate to be able to do that might.

I was very lucky to adjust quite well to living over here quite quickly and it's been commented by people back home that the "UK suits me" and that I seem "happier here than they've ever noticed me being back at home" and I think that's probably true. Personally, my life has been better in the UK as I do feel happier and healthier (mentally and physically) over here than in the US. I am able to own a house over here in my 20's which probably wouldn't have happened for me for a long time in the US (Boston area is NOT cheap), I've got a career (which I would've struggled with in the US because I dropped out of college in my last year so don't have a degree), I've got a supportive husband who has helped get us into the position we're in and it would've hurt us if he had to start all over again in the US with his career (especially as he doesn't have a degree either), and we can afford to travel to all the places that would cost double the price on flights alone from the US.I've definitely matured in a way that only a person who's far away from their family can and it's been a good thing. I've got my life on a solid track that I may not be on if we chose the US (or I didn't agree to meet my now-husband at all).

Obviously other people have different experiences because they are different points in their life for their move than I am. I was working retail and living in the basement apartment of my parent's house so I only had to worry about paying my personal bills/groceries and paying off my student loans. I didn't have a massive salary or job title to worry about losing on or anything like that and I think that can be a really big factor in how quick a person adjusts to a new country and whether it's a positive or negative experience.

XO

You should be so proud of yourself to not only have become the person that you are but having had the ability and determination to achieve it on your own.Starting your family tree in a different region of the world is such a momumental aspect to your personal story and one that will be life changing for your kids and grandchildren to come. A lot of folks are afraid to take the type of risk that is completely foreign frearing the unknown will work out against them in some way. Good on you for being a strong individual.

We've been looking at homes in Europe quite a bit and it does appear that property is far more affordable than here in Florida and definitely less costly compared to the Northeast. Our budget for a home works well for Spain, South of France and even in cities in the UK like Manchester. Probably not London. We're going to rent for a while till everything feels just right were we know the place and timing makes sense. We are both city people that enjoy the calmness of the suburbs but we don't quite know how that may look and feel in our target areas. Toulouse is actually a good size city that maybe might be more fun to live near the city center or could equally be comfortable in the outer burbs. We'll know better once we go over to do our process of elimination. I also wonder if there will be some places that sell a few of the familar creature comforts such as foods and snacks that we don't really need but makes life a little bit more fun. Are there no American style stores in your area of the UK? Btw, when you guys travel what places have you been?

XO

You should be so proud of yourself to not only have become the person that you are but having had the ability and determination to achieve it on your own.Starting your family tree in a different region of the world is such a momumental aspect to your personal story and one that will be life changing for your kids and grandchildren to come. A lot of folks are afraid to take the type of risk that is completely foreign frearing the unknown will work out against them in some way. Good on you for being a strong individual.

We've been looking at homes in Europe quite a bit and it does appear that property is far more affordable than here in Florida and definitely less costly compared to the Northeast. Our budget for a home works well for Spain, South of France and even in cities in the UK like Manchester. Probably not London. We're going to rent for a while till everything feels just right were we know the place and timing makes sense. We are both city people that enjoy the calmness of the suburbs but we don't quite know how that may look and feel in our target areas. Toulouse is actually a good size city that maybe might be more fun to live near the city center or could equally be comfortable in the outer burbs. We'll know better once we go over to do our process of elimination. I also wonder if there will be some places that sell a few of the familar creature comforts such as foods and snacks that we don't really need but makes life a little bit more fun. Are there no American style stores in your area of the UK? Btw, when you guys travel what places have you been?

I'm proud of myself on a personal level for meeting goals I set for myself, but everybody has their own challenges and hurdles in life so I don't really compare what I have or haven't done to others who may have had more or less advantage. I follow the believe we all live in our own "time zones" so to speak, and we accomplish things within those zones and not somebody else's. Appreciate the kind words though.

RE your question about "American style stores", we do have some shops that will sell "American sweets" and other goods or there are American sections in the foreign food aisles of the shops, but it's not really worth it unless you want to pay 2-3 times the price they are actually worth. The markups, because they are imports, can be extreme and I don't miss anything enough to pay that (but that's just me, other people have things they really love and are willing to pay for. I just wait until I go home on a yearly visit and stockpile what I can - which is mainly beer lol). I can't say if other countries have these types of shops or not or what their "foreign food" aisles have.

RE your question about where we travel, so far we've done a road trip across the UK for our 1 year anniversary, Paris (twice as once we took my parents), Belgium (Brussels, Bruges, Ghent), Spain (Madrid & Valencia), and Italy (Rome, Lake Garda, Florence, & Venice).We are going to Poland (Krakow) in August and Japan (Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, etc.) in September/October. We've gone to Scotland a fair few times over the last 5 years (I've got friends up there from my first job here and I absolutely love Edinburgh). Next year we're looking at maybe South Africa/Cape Verde or somewhere more tropical. If my parents come back next year and want to travel, the plan will be Amsterdam for sure. We've discussed also flying Iceland Air on next year's trip back to the US and taking advantage of the free layover in Iceland but we'll see (we've yet to pull the trigger on that). My niece is also looking at travelling for two of my other nieces birthdays (one to Barcelona and one to Disneyland Paris), but I have to see if I can afford what she's wanting to do as she doesn't have many bills to pay and therefore has more disposable income than I do lol. Our friend's parents moved to France and got a big house with a hot tub so he's always trying to get us to come visit them with him so that's in the cards (we also try to do a yearly "friends getaway"- even if it's just to Wales). It's easier to travel even just on long weekends here so we just do it FAR more than we would in the US - though I would love to do a road trip in the US and there are a few states I'd LOVE to see, but it's hard to justify travelling to the US and not spending some solid time with family as I just feel guilty about it.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

I'm proud of myself on a personal level for meeting goals I set for myself, but everybody has their own challenges and hurdles in life so I don't really compare what I have or haven't done to others who may have had more or less advantage. I follow the believe we all live in our own "time zones" so to speak, and we accomplish things within those zones and not somebody else's. Appreciate the kind words though.

RE your question about "American style stores", we do have some shops that will sell "American sweets" and other goods or there are American sections in the foreign food aisles of the shops, but it's not really worth it unless you want to pay 2-3 times the price they are actually worth. The markups, because they are imports, can be extreme and I don't miss anything enough to pay that (but that's just me, other people have things they really love and are willing to pay for. I just wait until I go home on a yearly visit and stockpile what I can - which is mainly beer lol). I can't say if other countries have these types of shops or not or what their "foreign food" aisles have.

RE your question about where we travel, so far we've done a road trip across the UK for our 1 year anniversary, Paris (twice as once we took my parents), Belgium (Brussels, Bruges, Ghent), Spain (Madrid & Valencia), and Italy (Rome, Lake Garda, Florence, & Venice).We are going to Poland (Krakow) in August and Japan (Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, etc.) in September/October. We've gone to Scotland a fair few times over the last 5 years (I've got friends up there from my first job here and I absolutely love Edinburgh). Next year we're looking at maybe South Africa/Cape Verde or somewhere more tropical. If my parents come back next year and want to travel, the plan will be Amsterdam for sure. We've discussed also flying Iceland Air on next year's trip back to the US and taking advantage of the free layover in Iceland but we'll see (we've yet to pull the trigger on that). My niece is also looking at travelling for two of my other nieces birthdays (one to Barcelona and one to Disneyland Paris), but I have to see if I can afford what she's wanting to do as she doesn't have many bills to pay and therefore has more disposable income than I do lol. Our friend's parents moved to France and got a big house with a hot tub so he's always trying to get us to come visit them with him so that's in the cards (we also try to do a yearly "friends getaway"- even if it's just to Wales). It's easier to travel even just on long weekends here so we just do it FAR more than we would in the US - though I would love to do a road trip in the US and there are a few states I'd LOVE to see, but it's hard to justify travelling to the US and not spending some solid time with family as I just feel guilty about it.

You and your partner have truly made the most of your time while living in Europe. France appear to be one of your most visited countries.  What's your opinion of France in general in terms of lifestyle, and how would you compare it to life in the UK? Were the French people friendly?

You and your partner have truly made the most of your time while living in Europe. France appear to be one of your most visited countries.  What's your opinion of France in general in terms of lifestyle, and how would you compare it to life in the UK? Were the French people friendly?

It's our most visited country as we've been twice but not really by my choice. We tend not to go to places multiple times (which is why we didn't really visit anywhere other than Scotland more than once thus far) but the first time we went, it was a surprise by my husband for my birthday and it was jut for a long weekend. The second time, my parents REALLY wanted to go when they came to visit but they wanted us to come with them considering they had travelled over to see us and they put us up in a really lovely hotel in a central location so we went. The first time we went was wonderful as it was winter and pre-christmas so there was the Christmas market along the Champs Elysees that we hadn't expected and all the lights were up for the holidays and it felt more magical. We explored more and everything was new so it was cool. With my older parents who wanted to do the same things we had already done and they are much slower moving and not as adventurous, so it was less magical for obvious reasons (not to complain as I love my parents, but we are different types of travellers than they are). My feeling was that Paris was good for a one-off (for us, I know people that LOVE it) and I am 100% okay with never going back again. If we did go again, it would be to travel to Versailles and potentially Disneyland Paris.

Again, I can't speak for lifestyle there. I was a tourist so I wasn't actually trying to live like a local. I didn't really have casual conversations with any locals to gauge how their lifestyle would be. I can't say how it compares to the UK because I can't compare holidays with my day-to-day in the UK. The people weren't the most friendly but people in London aren't the most friendly either when you're having limited interaction as a tourist. I wouldn't say capital cities are good ways to judge the whole of France though. Just to be clear, I've only ever gone to Paris. I've not visited anywhere else in France as of yet. Paris, I imagine, is wildly different than the rest of the country.....
My, how time flies....

It's our most visited country as we've been twice but not really by my choice. We tend not to go to places multiple times (which is why we didn't really visit anywhere other than Scotland more than once thus far) but the first time we went, it was a surprise by my husband for my birthday and it was jut for a long weekend. The second time, my parents REALLY wanted to go when they came to visit but they wanted us to come with them considering they had travelled over to see us and they put us up in a really lovely hotel in a central location so we went. The first time we went was wonderful as it was winter and pre-christmas so there was the Christmas market along the Champs Elysees that we hadn't expected and all the lights were up for the holidays and it felt more magical. We explored more and everything was new so it was cool. With my older parents who wanted to do the same things we had already done and they are much slower moving and not as adventurous, so it was less magical for obvious reasons (not to complain as I love my parents, but we are different types of travellers than they are). My feeling was that Paris was good for a one-off (for us, I know people that LOVE it) and I am 100% okay with never going back again. If we did go again, it would be to travel to Versailles and potentially Disneyland Paris.

Again, I can't speak for lifestyle there. I was a tourist so I wasn't actually trying to live like a local. I didn't really have casual conversations with any locals to gauge how their lifestyle would be. I can't say how it compares to the UK because I can't compare holidays with my day-to-day in the UK. The people weren't the most friendly but people in London aren't the most friendly either when you're having limited interaction as a tourist. I wouldn't say capital cities are good ways to judge the whole of France though. Just to be clear, I've only ever gone to Paris. I've not visited anywhere else in France as of yet. Paris, I imagine, is wildly different than the rest of the country.....

I have to agree with you that large metro cities like Paris, New York can actually provide the opposite of a friendly environment for a visitor to experience. They offer excitement and a multitude of cultural and sporting events which makes those cities purposeful and it's not a bad thing being able to find any kind of meal your heart might desire. Living full time in those type of huge population places can get on your nerves after a while. I've done the big city thing, the moderate 2 million population cities and the small townships near both large and small cities. I definitely want to find that balance between cool fun activities in our new city and a quiet space offering tranquility. On paper Toulouse France looks promising and the proximity is super close to so many other interesting cities. We'll see how this goes. Fingers crossed!

Btw, is your current city the place you and husband want to stay permanently or are you considering other areas of the UK like Scotland?

Btw, is your current city the place you and husband want to stay permanently or are you considering other areas of the UK like Scotland?

At present, my current location is where we want to be permanently (or around that area). We considered Scotland and I always say it'd be the place I had to move if I had to move out of the South, but I still choose the south because it has the edge over Scotland with the weather. But we live in a nice area with good schools and houses that still have gardens. Next stop will be a detached house and then I think we'll be okay (at least for a long time). The area works for us just fine (it's also conveniently located close enough to London that we can get in without much hassle but we can totally avoid it, which is nice, especially when family visits).
My, how time flies....

At present, my current location is where we want to be permanently (or around that area). We considered Scotland and I always say it'd be the place I had to move if I had to move out of the South, but I still choose the south because it has the edge over Scotland with the weather. But we live in a nice area with good schools and houses that still have gardens. Next stop will be a detached house and then I think we'll be okay (at least for a long time). The area works for us just fine (it's also conveniently located close enough to London that we can get in without much hassle but we can totally avoid it, which is nice, especially when family visits).

Sounds like the best of both worlds. A nice tree lined street in a quiet area where people take the time to speak to one another and far enough away from big cities so to avoid someof anti-social behaviors. Not bad! That is similar to what we are use to here in the states and we'll more than likely look for a place in France with many of the same attributes. I hear a good many comments about Scotland and the people there. Hear they are quite approachable. Do you think the people are friendlier in the south of England compared to Scotland or pretty much the same?

I think France is going to be a very good fit. Just hope they are accepting of foreign nationals.

Sounds like the best of both worlds. A nice tree lined street in a quiet area where people take the time to speak to one another and far enough away from big cities so to avoid someof anti-social behaviors. Not bad! That is similar to what we are use to here in the states and we'll more than likely look for a place in France with many of the same attributes. I hear a good many comments about Scotland and the people there. Hear they are quite approachable. Do you think the people are friendlier in the south of England compared to Scotland or pretty much the same?

I think France is going to be a very good fit. Just hope they are accepting of foreign nationals.

it's all much of a muchness...Just takes me back to my original comment of you get really nice people and you get jerks everywhere you go. I can't compare where I live with where I only holiday.
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab