Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Which country to retire to for fun, culture, nightlife? Ireland,France, Spain?  (Read 13724 times)

• Liked: 3
Hi Everyone

After doing quite a bit of research about countries in Europe that permit Americans to acquire a retirement visa it is exciting to learn there are many options. The list is pretty long. Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Greece, Italy, France, and Malta.

I imagine many of you are currently living in Europe and might have more first hand knowledge about several of the mentioned options. My wife & I, are leaning toward Spain, France and Ireland.

If you had to pick any of the countries on my list which would they be and why? And which would you eliminate and why? Are any of them seriously problematic?

Thanks

• Liked: 4985
The thing is that we are a forum for the UK - so you won't find much info here.

I'm not a big fan of Ireland, so I wouldn't live there.  I speak Spanish (well, I used to but haven't used it since moving to the UK so would be a bit rusty for a bit), so I'd likely chose Spain.

But when I retire, I plan to be near family for once in my life.  So there's that.   ;D

The thing is that we are a forum for the UK - so you won't find much info here.

I'm not a big fan of Ireland, so I wouldn't live there.  I speak Spanish (well, I used to but haven't used it since moving to the UK so would be a bit rusty for a bit), so I'd likely chose Spain.

But when I retire, I plan to be near family for once in my life.  So there's that.   ;D

Hi KFdancer

You're always kind and quick to help a person out.

No to Ireland? Why not Ireland? Do you like the culture and people? Is the weather worst than the UK? My first choice is the UK but that is looking less of an option unless brexit  were to make the UK and America closer.

Can't blame you for wanting to remain near your family. Have you been to the south of France and if so what's your opinion?

Thanks

• Liked: 6110
Hi Everyone

After doing quite a bit of research about countries in Europe that permit Americans to acquire a retirement visa it is exciting to learn there are many options. The list is pretty long. Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Greece, Italy, France, and Malta.

I imagine many of you are currently living in Europe and might have more first hand knowledge about several of the mentioned options. My wife & I, are leaning toward Spain, France and Ireland.

If you had to pick any of the countries on my list which would they be and why? And which would you eliminate and why? Are any of them seriously problematic?

Thanks

I think for this question, you might do better asking here.
https://britishexpats.com/forum/

It's a forum for British Expats but they have a full subform on all the European countries and there will be a wealth of firsthand experience there, albeit from Brits.
They can be a bit of a tough crowd sometimes but that seems to depend on which way the wind is blowing!  :)

• Liked: 223
If I was making the decision, I'd narrow it down to more specific locations - regions and cities vary widely.

If the choice were mine and the list was limited to Spain, Ireland and France, I'd choose France, but it'd have to be a small town near the mountains with lots of hiking nearby. Put me in Paris or another big city and I may not be as happy.

Based on language alone, Ireland would be the easiest. But not quite as big of a change for someone coming from the US or UK.

(No offence meant to anyone - this is just based off what friends have told me and is an important thing to consider but may be completely wrong) Bureaucracy in Spain can be tough to deal with, especially as an immigrant. I've heard the same about France, but not as bad. I've got a friend living in Portugal and she's had a tough time getting paperwork sorted (and that's with a Portuguese partner). You might want a challenge, but I wouldn't want a challenge that put my permission to stay in jeopardy.

There are a million pros and cons for each country as there as so many places to live in each country. Have you narrowed your shortlist down to regions, cities or towns in those countries?
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Which countries have you visited?  Which countries have you stayed long enough to try and 'live like a local'?
I'm a jump in with both feet kind of person, but it's always worth remembering that living somewhere (especially in retirement age, healthcare and other age considerations aside) is very different than being a tourist. 
There was interesting show(with celebrities) on the BBC called 'The Real Marigold Hotel' and 'The Real Marigold Hotel on Tour' which explored pros and cons of living somewhere else in retirement.  If you can find it on youtube, other streaming service, it's worth a watch, if anything, to get you thinking  :)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1892
Seems like healthcare would be a massive factor to consider.  Climate as well, Ireland is going to be cold and rainy, Spain Will be seriously hot. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I think for this question, you might do better asking here.
https://britishexpats.com/forum/

It's a forum for British Expats but they have a full subform on all the European countries and there will be a wealth of firsthand experience there, albeit from Brits.
They can be a bit of a tough crowd sometimes but that seems to depend on which way the wind is blowing!  :)

Thanks larrabee

If I was making the decision, I'd narrow it down to more specific locations - regions and cities vary widely.

If the choice were mine and the list was limited to Spain, Ireland and France, I'd choose France, but it'd have to be a small town near the mountains with lots of hiking nearby. Put me in Paris or another big city and I may not be as happy.

Based on language alone, Ireland would be the easiest. But not quite as big of a change for someone coming from the US or UK.

(No offence meant to anyone - this is just based off what friends have told me and is an important thing to consider but may be completely wrong) Bureaucracy in Spain can be tough to deal with, especially as an immigrant. I've heard the same about France, but not as bad. I've got a friend living in Portugal and she's had a tough time getting paperwork sorted (and that's with a Portuguese partner). You might want a challenge, but I wouldn't want a challenge that put my permission to stay in jeopardy.

There are a million pros and cons for each country as there as so many places to live in each country. Have you narrowed your shortlist down to regions, cities or towns in those countries?

Hi TravelingFrog

The Mrs & I are targeting three main areas. Toulouse France, Dublin Ireland, and Barcelona Spain. Mrs Spin has spent time in Spain and France, is fluent in three languages. I have been to Ireland and really like the city and culture. But I've never been to France or Spain and not exactly sure what to expect.

I believe the language could be the biggest barrier(in France) for me but over time that will improve. I do speak some Spanish. I hear so many wonderful opinions from friends and family that have lived or vacationed in both Spain and France. And one of the important reasons we narrowed down our list to those three places are quality of healthcare, culture, outdoor activities and nightlife. And you are spot on about the potential issues with bureaucracy in a foreign country, which I experienced firsthand to some degree while living in Argentina.

One of the things we feel good about is the healthcare system in all three of our choices. France has consistently ranked as one of the best country's for healthcare. And I hear Spain is very good as well. We feel pretty good about those three choices but it helps to learn anecdotal experiences about day to day life in a new destination. My short stint in Dublin will be different from living there and I'm sure that is true for Spain or France but hopefully we will do enough research to avoid the bigger pitfalls.

Which countries have you visited?  Which countries have you stayed long enough to try and 'live like a local'?
I'm a jump in with both feet kind of person, but it's always worth remembering that living somewhere (especially in retirement age, healthcare and other age considerations aside) is very different than being a tourist. 
There was interesting show(with celebrities) on the BBC called 'The Real Marigold Hotel' and 'The Real Marigold Hotel on Tour' which explored pros and cons of living somewhere else in retirement.  If you can find it on youtube, other streaming service, it's worth a watch, if anything, to get you thinking  :)

Hi phatbeetle  and thanks for responding.

There has been only a handful of countries I've visited. Ireland, Brazil, Canada and lived in Argentina. But I have been to nearly all fifty states in America and that has been an incredible learning experienced.Because many are so different from one another. Some are larger than countries.

And I feel it's important to know yourself better before you can understand other people, and in my opinion that is also true of nations. I have lived in 10 different states. And several cities from Los Angeles to Seattle to NYC to my current beautiful home of Florida. And now that the Mrs & I have a comfortable place here in the sunshine state, we feel the time is right to explore outside the Americas.

We're not afraid to jump in with both feet either but at our mid-age status we tend to look more carefully before we leap. Those bruises take longer to heal once you pass the age of 40 ;D Thankfully I have a partner who is a retired nurse.

Seems like healthcare would be a massive factor to consider.  Climate as well, Ireland is going to be cold and rainy, Spain Will be seriously hot. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Jim

My wife's first choice is Toulouse France. She has been there several times and speaks fluent French. She is also, already looking at houses with full expectation that once all the research is complete that France will beat out Spain and Ireland. Mrs Spin believe the weather in the south of France is better or equal to that of Barcelona Spain, and better than Ireland obviously.

But since we live in Florida which has the best winters in America I was thinking about having a place in Europe with at least 3 seasons. Have you spent time in Ireland, Spain or France?

• Liked: 223
The Mrs & I are targeting three main areas. Toulouse France, Dublin Ireland, and Barcelona Spain. Mrs Spin has spent time in Spain and France, is fluent in three languages. I have been to Ireland and really like the city and culture. But I've never been to France or Spain and not exactly sure what to expect.

I'm not sure how big of an issue this is, but keep in mind the Barcelona/Catalan push for independence. You'd be living there in an interesting point in history (whether it happens or not). Now, whether you want an interesting time or not is another question....  ;)

I haven't been, but Toulouse sounds amazing. Also, close to Spain so you could visit regularly if you wanted.

Do any of those countries require you to take out private health insurance (for full coverage or supplementary)? I think France does, but I'm not positive and I'm sure about Ireland and Spain.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 674
Ireland is expensive. And the taxes are higher than the UK, I believe.

And a while back they were pulling some unpleasant things with US citizens who had been living there.  I can't find the stories now, other than these two:  https://www.expatexchange.com/expatguide/229/3404268/Ireland/Expats-Living-in-Ireland/Retired-to-Ireland-NOW-GIVEN-7-DAYS-TO-LEAVE 
https://www.irishcentral.com/travel/for-this-american-retiree-ireland-has-not-been-the-land-of-1000-welcomes-photos

Not sure if they've sorted all that out. But if you're not actually a citizen of Ireland, you might want to do some significant probing of the requirements and also be aware that they can pop up out of the blue and make rulings that might negatively impact you, even if you've bought property there. One of the cases I'd read about involved someone who had bought a house and had lived there for many years. (I do remember reading about several cases, not just these two.)

I'm not sure how big of an issue this is, but keep in mind the Barcelona/Catalan push for independence. You'd be living there in an interesting point in history (whether it happens or not). Now, whether you want an interesting time or not is another question....  ;)

I haven't been, but Toulouse sounds amazing. Also, close to Spain so you could visit regularly if you wanted.

Do any of those countries require you to take out private health insurance (for full coverage or supplementary)? I think France does, but I'm not positive and I'm sure about Ireland and Spain.

We will be required to purchase our own health insurance, but that was our expectation from the start. Health Care in America is very expensive thus paying for it in Europe shouldn't involve too much sticker shock. Just the way things are.

I haven't paid close attention to the political squabble about Catalan's fight for independence but I remember reading about it going back to the early 1990s. We will keep our eye open for any major changes to the status quo. As a side note I know that can't be a easy situation especially when one side prefers to break free from colonial rule but feels trapped.

I need to find a few great real estate websites for properties in Barcelona Spain & Toulouse. Any ideas for Barcelona and Toulouse?

Ireland is expensive. And the taxes are higher than the UK, I believe.

And a while back they were pulling some unpleasant things with US citizens who had been living there.  I can't find the stories now, other than these two:  https://www.expatexchange.com/expatguide/229/3404268/Ireland/Expats-Living-in-Ireland/Retired-to-Ireland-NOW-GIVEN-7-DAYS-TO-LEAVE 
https://www.irishcentral.com/travel/for-this-american-retiree-ireland-has-not-been-the-land-of-1000-welcomes-photos

Not sure if they've sorted all that out. But if you're not actually a citizen of Ireland, you might want to do some significant probing of the requirements and also be aware that they can pop up out of the blue and make rulings that might negatively impact you, even if you've bought property there. One of the cases I'd read about involved someone who had bought a house and had lived there for many years. (I do remember reading about several cases, not just these two.)

Thank you Nan for the heads up. A situation like the above would make buying a house in Ireland a bit concerning. The wife and I have discussed an alternative plan of renting a home to stay in full time, while buying a vacation property in a different European country. Allowing us to have a great deal of flexibility. Still early days yet.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab