Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Renters would get longer tenancies under government plans  (Read 4766 times)

• Liked: 342
Renters would get longer tenancies under government plans
« on: July 01, 2018, 12:21:44 PM »
Good news for tenants and the professional landords.

Hot on heels of stopping the bad landlords from issuing a retailatory Section 21 (no fault notice to quit) if the tenant complains to the council about the repairs the landlord is not doing, or because they have not raised the standard of the property as fit to let (higher than to sell/buy) comes the 3 year tenancy. Like Germany already has, tenants will have a fixed term/rent contract, but they will be be able to leave earlier if they want to. Abuse always gets shut down. Although not quite the 5 years fixed tenancy that Germany has and that the professional landlords were expecting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44671094

The next one the professional landlords expect, to push out the bad landlords, is registration for all those who would like to let a property. Where it makes it easier for tenants' to report bad landlords who are not keeping to the laws and get them struck off the register. Wales already has this.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 01:14:07 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 676
Re: Renters would get longer tenancies under government plans
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 02:13:51 PM »
So this is for England ony?

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 04:35:20 PM »
Meh. When you've chopped someone's arm off, you don't hand them a band-aid. Rents are still too high, there are too few opportunities for first-time buyers, too much buy-to-let, and house prices are still obscene. When the government deals with that, then I'll applaud. Measures like this do nothing real to redress the imbalance between homeowners and renters.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 04:47:18 PM »
Yup, landlords get away with murder here.  The slum lords won’t care about this and the government doesn’t have the resources to enforce it.

• Liked: 113
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 06:37:41 AM »
On the other hand, how do you deal with the problem tenants? My husband’s grandmother let her home to a retired couple when she moved to America 7 years ago, because that’s where her only daughter/child (husband’s mom) lives. Grandmother is 92. She basically pays more in repairs than she’s getting in rental income. Granted it’s a 200+ year old house and may require more maintenance, some requests just seem excessive.

2 years ago, my husband and I stopped by the house because he wanted to show me where he spent his childhood summers. The tenants were nice enough to oblige our visit and this is where we discovered how much they changed the house to suit themselves. Like they covered up the pond in the garden (for the safety of their grandchildren), changed the layout (knocked down a wall), plastered over a brick wall (this was one of the home’s features), converted a store/stock room into a bedroom for their unemployed son, etc. Changes grandmother weren’t aware of until after the fact. But she put up with them because it was the better option than leaving the house looking abandoned and prone to vandalism, being it’s in the middle of nowhere in Scotland.

Now that we’re here, grandmother suggested asking the tenants to leave. The tenants didn’t even sign a long term lease and they were the ones who wanted to keep it to a month-to-month agreement. But the rental agency said it was near impossible to make them leave because the tenants are always protected by the law. Is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 09:10:44 AM »
On the other hand, how do you deal with the problem tenants? My husband’s grandmother let her home to a retired couple when she moved to America 7 years ago, because that’s where her only daughter/child (husband’s mom) lives. Grandmother is 92. She basically pays more in repairs than she’s getting in rental income. Granted it’s a 200+ year old house and may require more maintenance, some requests just seem excessive.

2 years ago, my husband and I stopped by the house because he wanted to show me where he spent his childhood summers. The tenants were nice enough to oblige our visit and this is where we discovered how much they changed the house to suit themselves. Like they covered up the pond in the garden (for the safety of their grandchildren), changed the layout (knocked down a wall), plastered over a brick wall (this was one of the home’s features), converted a store/stock room into a bedroom for their unemployed son, etc. Changes grandmother weren’t aware of until after the fact. But she put up with them because it was the better option than leaving the house looking abandoned and prone to vandalism, being it’s in the middle of nowhere in Scotland.

Now that we’re here, grandmother suggested asking the tenants to leave. The tenants didn’t even sign a long term lease and they were the ones who wanted to keep it to a month-to-month agreement. But the rental agency said it was near impossible to make them leave because the tenants are always protected by the law. Is this true?

I can appreciate them asking if they can put a fence or something around a pond for safety of little ones or something....or even *asking* if they can cover over the pond.....but it's absolutely SHOCKING to me that they decided to knock down a wall/plaster a feature wall without actually getting consent from the landlord. Yes, adding a new room could arguably add value but this would be something that I would have assumed would need approval from the homeowner prior to just cracking on and doing it. I'm hoping that these aren't things they were asking compensation for in the form of "repairs"? I could understand expecting to get a break if they plastered a damaged wall or something, but even then, I would assume that there would be a discussion with the landlord RE the work that will be done and if it's okay with the actual homeowner to make these changes.....that's bold as brass. I guess they just kept figuring it was okay the more they did things and it seemed like your husband's grandmother was okay with what they had done (because I imagine the distance made it difficult for her to keep up with).
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 09:39:00 AM »
So this is for England ony?

Yes.

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 09:40:50 AM »

Scotland have their own laws and I only know the English laws.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 09:52:19 AM »

I agree with KOD, that's absolutely shocking behaviour. I mean they need to feel at home but knocking down a wall? That's outrageous!

Here are a link which may help.

https://rentingscotland.org/landlords/eviction-grounds-for-the-private-residential-tenancy/

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 10:02:00 AM »
I can appreciate them asking if they can put a fence or something around a pond for safety of little ones or something....or even *asking* if they can cover over the pond....

Asking if they can cover a pond?  Not in England.

Under the Housing laws in England, it may be the landlords' property but it is the tenanats home. When they leave they must return the property to the same state they were given it  in, less fair wear and tear. The deposit scheme have rules about how much can be decucted and what is fair wear and tear.

Putting some things in a contract is useless as you can't take take aways a tenants legal right in a contracts. e.g.  "no animals" in a contract isn't worth the paper it is written on. I didn't want cats in my lets as the smell is difficult to remove for the next tenants who might not have cats,  but all I could do was ask around to see if a prospective tenants had cats. If they got one, or lots, after the contract was signed by both parties, then there was little I could do until the contract ended, unless it had a break clause.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 11:45:19 AM by Sirius »

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 10:10:55 AM »
Asking if they can cover a pond?  Not in England.

Under the Housing laws in England, it may be the landlords' property but it is the tenanats home. When they leave they must return the property to the same state they were given it  in, less fair wear and tear. The deposit scheme have rules about how much can be decucted and what is fair wear and tear.

Putting "no animals" in a contract isn't worth the paper it is written on. I didn't want cats in my lets as the smell is difficult to remove for the next tenants who might not have cats,  but all I could do was ask around to see if a prospective tenants had cats. If they got one, or lots, after the contract was signed by both parties, then there was little I could do until the contract ended, unless it had a break clause.

I guess I'm a bit confused about how this relates to what I said...? If you actually properly fill in a pond so it's covered, you're going to spend a fair bit getting it back to the way it was.. But that's on them. That still doesn't actually cover the fact that they plastered a brick wall, knocked down another, and converted a cupboard to a room....How will they be returning that back to how it was and how does that even qualify as wear and tear? I am aware of the deposit scheme as we are currently dealing with a claim as our tenant's have just moved out and have managed to cause some considerable damage in less than 2 years but, again, I'm not sure how that's even relevant to my comments as I said that it's shocking they did all that without Landlord's consent (can you even un-plaster a wall to get the exposed brick back???) and didn't mention anything about deposit. That sounds like they were just taking the absolute piss and being bold as brass.

I didn't even mention pets, so, again, I'm confused on how that bit is relevant?

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 10:14:25 AM »

I didn't want cats in my lets as the smell is difficult to remove for the next tenants who might not have cats,  but all I could do was ask around to see if a prospective tenants had cats. If they got one, or lots, after the contract was signed by both parties, then there was little I could do until the contract ended, unless it had a break clause.

My cats don't smell!  ;D

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 11:06:48 AM »
Yup, landlords get away with murder here. 

I think you would be shocked at how easy it is for professional tenants, to rip off landlords who doesn't know the laws of their business.
It happens all the time.

I forget to say before, when you said that a tenant got inspected often,  I gave you the English law. That it's the property that can be inspected for any repairs, not the tenant (as you can't tell them how to live)  but that they don't have to let you in if they choose not to as every tenant has the right of "quiet enjoyment"  of their home. To demand to be let in, is harassement and that is a criminal  offence, not civil. What I should have said before is that these are the laws in England,  but if your BTL is in Scotland or Wales,  then they will have their own laws that will have to follow.

The slum lords won’t care about this and the government doesn’t have the resources to enforce it.

The councils deal with all these who don't keep to the laws.. They often have 2 or 3 staff to take these to court or to warn/take the letting agents to court if they haven't bothered to read the housing laws either. Registraion to be able to let, would be a big help to the councils as these bad landlords could just be removed from the list and would have to pay their own mortgage and move out of the letting business.

It's these bad landlords who drive in the law changes. e.g. In England, the deposist scheme to to stop the bad landlords who wanted to help themselves to a tenants deposit. An amendment of the law brought in this and  stiupulated that 3 times the deposit to be paid to theiir tenant and all the deposit to be paid back (even of they had destroyed the house). if LL failed to use the deposit scheme Unable to isssue a Section 21 if deposit not protected in one of the three schemes. Not allowed to take an deposit any more now if their various tenants' have to keep raising a dispute with the depost scheme.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 12:01:45 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 11:20:14 AM »
My cats don't smell!  ;D

I have animals myself, but we just can't smell them. ;) While the dog smell will clear quickly, the smell of cats will linger. Those that don't have cats, do not want to rent a property that smells. Hence our, no smokers and no cats policy, which we could not enforce anyway. Even us putting that in a contract, could be seen as an "unfair term" in a contract, as a LL cannot tell a T how to live in their home.

I always remember Jonathon Ross talking about when he moved to the country but was unable to sell their London property and he didn't know why. He went to check on the empty London property and said that was when he could smell what every viewer could smell, his cats. ;D
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 12:04:19 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 11:47:33 AM »
I guess I'm a bit confused about how this relates to what I said...? If you actually properly fill in a pond so it's covered, you're going to spend a fair bit getting it back to the way it was.. But that's on them. That still doesn't actually cover the fact that they plastered a brick wall, knocked down another, and converted a cupboard to a room....

I wasn't taking about the brick walls. The part of your post that I quoted, was about tenants asking to cover a pond. Under the laws in England, they don't have to ask to be able to do that..
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 11:53:30 AM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links