Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Birth Control in the UK  (Read 7904 times)

• Liked: 250
Re: Birth Control in the UK
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2018, 02:51:13 PM »
I will just mention that vasectomies are reversible, and also they don't always work... Sometimes bodies heal the damage!! It's weird.

My husband offered to get the vasectomy because he knew how rough the pill was on me and he didn't feel that it should be all me handle our birth control needs, which is a lovely sentiment. He would have helped me pay for it back in the states when I got my Mirena, but I got it after I left my job and was wrapping up everything to move, it was free through the county I lived in since I wasn't currently earning anything.

Maybe since I haven't been on any, my husband hasn't seen how it affects me? I'm not sure. I honestly haven't pushed him about it. I wouldn't want him to push me into getting my tubes tied...so I just leave it at that. Now, if birth control was making me sick or miserable and we had no other options I'm sure he'd be open minded, but as I said before I really don't want to pressure him. It's nice that your husband saw your discomfort and took the initiative though! That's so great.
Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

• Liked: 672
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2018, 03:28:12 PM »
Thank God for the menopause!  ;D

Ohyeah. I do NOT miss all that stuff at all!  ;D

• Liked: 114
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2018, 03:30:37 PM »
It's good to see your positive words on Nexplanon. That is the birth control I want. It fits all of my criteria, and I don't mind getting my arm cut open for a minute to insert it. A friend of mine who is a nurse also recommended it. I want birth control that doesn't stress me out (i.e. taking a pill everyday) and that doesn't make me crazy, and still lets me have a period.

Did you experience any weight gain on Nexplanon? I know it's different for every woman.
Nothing noticeable in terms of weight gain, no, but I couldn't say with 100% certainty.  I am already a bit heavyset so if I gained anything, I probably wouldn't have noticed anyway.  But my weight has been fairly steady since I moved to the UK until I got a desk job last year but that was obviously bound to happen due to the more sedentary lifestyle.

That said, I have been off-and-on a "lifestyle diet" / meal plan type thing since January and I have been able to lose weight without too much trouble.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2018, 04:43:04 PM »
Nothing noticeable in terms of weight gain, no, but I couldn't say with 100% certainty.  I am already a bit heavyset so if I gained anything, I probably wouldn't have noticed anyway.  But my weight has been fairly steady since I moved to the UK until I got a desk job last year but that was obviously bound to happen due to the more sedentary lifestyle.

That said, I have been off-and-on a "lifestyle diet" / meal plan type thing since January and I have been able to lose weight without too much trouble.

I mentioned earlier in this post that I lost about 30 pounds- I went from 170-140. I just can't go back to that weight! I'm still on the same diet I was on before, but my weight has plateaued since about May. I'm happy with it. I've just heard horror stories about birth control.

• Liked: 114
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2018, 05:15:56 PM »
I mentioned earlier in this post that I lost about 30 pounds- I went from 170-140. I just can't go back to that weight! I'm still on the same diet I was on before, but my weight has plateaued since about May. I'm happy with it. I've just heard horror stories about birth control.
As have I! My friend had terrible weight gain with Depo shots.

Again, I haven't really noticed anything with Nexplanon. Hopefully you'll be alright!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2018, 08:23:07 PM »

That's awesome! Well done!  :)

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2018, 08:32:27 PM »
That's awesome! Well done!  :)

Thank you! It's been a journey!

• Liked: 5
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2018, 11:14:05 PM »
I will just mention that vasectomies are reversible, and also they don't always work... Sometimes bodies heal the damage!! It's weird.

I was told to "consider it irreversible", because the chances of success in a reversal were around 55%. And, even if the reversal is successful, the fertility rate is vastly reduced because weaker, thinner pipes or something like that. So, at best, you're basically halving your chances of ever being able to have a kid.

I had it done anyway, in a heartbeat. Nothing sweet or heroic about it. Was glad of the excuse. I spent my 20s waiting for that revelation everyone promised, where I'd realise how incomplete I was without a child. By 38, I was pretty certain that revelation was never coming. Once I met someone who felt the same way, I booked in. No hesitation, no regrets (7 years on).

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2018, 02:41:12 AM »
I was told to "consider it irreversible", because the chances of success in a reversal were around 55%. And, even if the reversal is successful, the fertility rate is vastly reduced because weaker, thinner pipes or something like that. So, at best, you're basically halving your chances of ever being able to have a kid.

I had it done anyway, in a heartbeat. Nothing sweet or heroic about it. Was glad of the excuse. I spent my 20s waiting for that revelation everyone promised, where I'd realise how incomplete I was without a child. By 38, I was pretty certain that revelation was never coming. Once I met someone who felt the same way, I booked in. No hesitation, no regrets (7 years on).

As a woman of 26, I get told ALL the time "You'll change your mind"

Drives me bonkers.

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2018, 04:30:18 AM »
I always knew that I didn't want children and that feeling has only become stronger over time!  :)

• Liked: 584
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2018, 08:26:15 AM »
I always knew that I didn't want children and that feeling has only become stronger over time!  :)

Larrabee, I sometimes feel you're my doppelganger!  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2018, 08:53:23 AM »
Mr. KF had his vasectomy in November.  There was always this tiny niggle in the back of my head that *maybe* he didn't want to do it.

We've been watching the latest series of Long Lost Family.  Last night while we were watching all teary eyed, I said, "Let's adopt a whole bunch of kids."  Let's just say the 10 minute rant he went on afterwards completely and totally confirmed that he had that vasectomy for HIM not for me.  LOL!!!

I hope that doctors are FINALLY starting to see that people genuinely do not feel the need to procreate and start honoring people's wishes to be in control of their own bodies! 

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2018, 09:11:04 AM »
Larrabee, I sometimes feel you're my doppelganger!  :)

Well we do have a lot in common!  :D

• Liked: 957
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2018, 09:56:42 AM »

We've been watching the latest series of Long Lost Family.  Last night while we were watching all teary eyed, I said, "Let's adopt a whole bunch of kids."  Let's just say the 10 minute rant he went on afterwards completely and totally confirmed that he had that vasectomy for HIM not for me.  LOL!!!

I hope that doctors are FINALLY starting to see that people genuinely do not feel the need to procreate and start honoring people's wishes to be in control of their own bodies!

I never wanted kids in my 20s. But then my friends started becoming parents and I saw both the hard times and the joy that comes with growing a human and helping them become little people with their own personalities and hopes and dreams. When my health crashed I became pretty sad that the former isn't possible, I'd probably lose my ability to walk, but I know even with my limitations I can provide a lot of love and a stable home with lots of good food (if they'll eat any of it). So if we end up adopting kids while in this area you can be their local auntie ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 5
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2018, 10:25:47 AM »
As a woman of 26, I get told ALL the time "You'll change your mind"

Drives me bonkers.

Sometimes, I am convinced this is something people do to justify their own bad decisions in their own minds, or maybe because misery loves company. But, other times, I'm convinced it's a capitalist conspiracy to keep producing fuel for the machine. So maybe I'm not to be trusted.

Or maybe I am.  :-\\\\

What I can say is ignore what people tell you. You probably know whether you're "not now" or "never". If you're not sure then assume "not now". But if you are sure then live your life accordingly.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab