Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Old Houses 100+ years  (Read 3717 times)

• Liked: 6
Old Houses 100+ years
« on: August 09, 2018, 09:14:01 AM »
Does anyone know what to watch out for with old houses? When I say old I am talking about over 100 years old, with no indoor bathroom.

Back home I know before you buy properties you get an inspector, I assume it's the same here.  Is there a special kind of inspector for old properties? Any clue how costly inspections are here? Property is small, two level, attached to other homes.

Depending on findings can a property be marked uninhabitable and owner be forced tear down? Property is attached to other homes, so I assume it can't be destroyed and I think its in a "conservation" area (which I think means renovation has to keep style of home, but not sure if that protects it from forced tear down).  I couldn't find answer online.

The property is owned by a family member and it has been empty for years, in my head I wonder if it makes sense to try and get it livable for us instead of throwing money in a rental. My understanding from posts is that it can be hard to get a mortgage as an immigrant, and I don't know that we can afford much on my income anyhow. Also the thought of having a large debt on with self employment scares me. 

My husband seems to think labor is cheaper here than in US and his estimate of costs to update property, if structure is safe, is doable perhaps with savings if we DIY. We want asses situation, get idea of state of property and then I feel we can decide.  We want to know if there is a structure issue, main concern, and get estimates. But we don't want any inspection to be harmful for owner, like they are forced to tear down or forced to repair even if they decide to keep property empty. Also if findings are not favorable is there a way to avoid the findings impacting a sale, like you have to wait a while to avoid disclosure for future buyers essentially putting it on them to inspect?

Any input is appreciated, even life advice. Family is happy to just keep property empty as is. Is it even worth putting money into a property just to live rent free for upcoming years but possibly no "return" on investment? I dont even know how we would broach the subject of at least trying to get money put in back upon sale.  Is rent free technically an investment if they don't plan to sell?  And no idea, even range of cost to inspect, I am willing to "gamble" £500 to know.  To continue to rent is like £6k a year where we are right now.  Looking for opinions, suggestions, and advice and be honest, if its a stupid idea tell me.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:20:01 AM by ConsuelaLemonPledge »
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

• Liked: 4985
Re: Old Houses 100+ years
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 09:22:09 AM »
Inspections vary in what they offer and in price.  A basic survey is about £1,000 and is usually someone who (hopefully) drives by the property and gives a value.  Sometimes they just use Google Maps (I wish I was joking).  A more comprehensive inspection will be about £2,500 (depending on the location, size of the home, etc.).  Personally I feel a UK inspection leaves a lot to be desired...  We paid for an expensive inspection.  They neglected to tell us a window had a crack in it or that the exhaust hood didn't work in the kitchen.  Those were pretty obvious.... how did they not point those out?

Find out if the property is a listed building.  That will make a big difference.  You may need to contact the council.

But to answer your question, yes I think it could be worth your while.  Houses are meant to be lived in!   :D

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 09:28:37 AM »
My husband seems to think labor is cheaper here than in US and his estimate of costs to update property, if structure is safe, is doable perhaps with savings if we DIY. We want asses situation, get idea of state of property and then I feel we can decide.  We want to know if there is a structure issue, main concern, and get estimates. But we don't want any inspection to be harmful for owner, like they are forced to tear down or forced to repair even if they decide to keep property empty. Also if findings are not favorable is there a way to avoid the findings impacting a sale, like you have to wait a while to avoid disclosure for future buyers essentially putting it on them to inspect?

[/quote]

I wouldn't say labour is cheaper but I guess it depends on what's being done. Is this a situation of literally gutting *everything* and starting over or has it been looked after enough and just needs things like a bathroom? I would definitely pay to get a survey done of the property if you can afford it.

If you can DIY, as you mentioned, DEFINITELY do that. Learn as much as you can by Youtube to make sure you can do as much as you can by yourself. That alone will save you a fair amount but it will take hard work and likely take much longer than paying a builder to come in. 

Overall, I think depending on the price, it can be very worth it. If you're getting it cheap - cheaper than you'd be able to get another house you didn't have to break your back potentially repairing - it's most definitely worth it to be on the property market and not paying rent (especially if you're okay with living in a partial construction area). The less you're chucking away on rent - in my opinion - the better for you in the long run...but that's just my thoughts (sorry, still haven't finished my coffee so I might have just rambled...
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 11:29:43 AM »
Inspections vary in what they offer and in price.  A basic survey is about £1,000 and is usually someone who (hopefully) drives by the property and gives a value.  Sometimes they just use Google Maps (I wish I was joking).  A more comprehensive inspection will be about £2,500 (depending on the location, size of the home, etc.).  Personally I feel a UK inspection leaves a lot to be desired...  We paid for an expensive inspection.  They neglected to tell us a window had a crack in it or that the exhaust hood didn't work in the kitchen.  Those were pretty obvious.... how did they not point those out?

Find out if the property is a listed building.  That will make a big difference.  You may need to contact the council.

But to answer your question, yes I think it could be worth your while.  Houses are meant to be lived in!   :D

I was reading about the different levels of inspections an for old homes it said survey or comprehensive is recommended but I can’t really find pricing online so thanks for the range.  This gives me a better idea of risk. I feel like if we know what the issues are, then I can better assess this, bc we know what is involved...but £2500 has given me a lot to consider now.  What is a “listed building”?  Like if it’s for sale?

The property is owned by husband’s family and not for sale and they would only sell if forced, it’s been in family for years. So main concern at start would be discovering its so bad in inspection that somehow the government can force tear down or force them fix it costing them money they wouldn’t have had to spend.  I can’t find if that is something that can be legally done here.  If it’s too bad, I want to be able to walk away and just have them continue as is...empty prop.

Ideal situation in my mind would be an agreement between parties something along the lines of...if they are forced to sell (including due to death), any money we put in we get back plus some percent extra based on property appreciation this “extra” would be reduced by amount of rent free years (based on some rent amount agreed to) but capped in a way that we don’t come out owing them, say we live rent free for years exceeding value of home at time of sale.  If the property depreciates I’d want to be able to get at least amount put in...of course always a risk if it depreciates so much that we can’t recoup that back. 

Meanwhile, if never sold we are just living rent free, they keep property in family, it’s taken care of. I guess in this scenario we’d have to live there rent free (or have rights to property) long enough so that rent free years equal amount invested to fix, then at that point we are no worse off than we would have been had we stayed at current rental, if longer we get to save money of rent free years.  In my head for them this seems no diff for them than it sitting there as it is now, empty, bringing prices of houses next to it down and I am sure neighbors don’t like it lol.  We get peace of mind of having a place to live, if my income drops we don’t need to freak out about where to live or that we have a huge debt to pay off.  It sounds fair in my head.  Am I delusional?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 11:39:31 AM by ConsuelaLemonPledge »
UK Spouse Visa

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 11:45:06 AM »
What is a “listed building”? 

Listed buildings are those which are protected because of their historical and architectural interest.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/what-is-designation/listed-buildings/

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 11:46:10 AM »
Listed homes mean they are protected.  This would mean any restoration work would have to be done "in line" with the original character of the home.  Are you in England?  If so, look at the address here:

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 11:56:48 PM »
I lived in the basement flat of a listed building a few years ago - it was an old Victorian house that had been converted into flats... and ours had a staircase to nowhere in it! The top of the stairs had been sealed off in order to separate the flats, but because the building was protected by it's 'listed' status, they weren't allowed to remove the actual staircase (as it had to be preserved) :P.

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 12:21:13 AM »
I lived in the basement flat of a listed building a few years ago - it was an old Victorian house that had been converted into flats... and ours had a staircase to nowhere in it! The top of the stairs had been sealed off in order to separate the flats, but because the building was protected by it's 'listed' status, they weren't allowed to remove the actual staircase (as it had to be preserved) :P.

Haha...but, it's not even outside.  I think of preservation of exterior..strange.  I tried to find address and nothing came up, did see other buildings near by.  I tried to date it but no luck, I found an article that referred to it on an 1860 survey map...I assume that's the year.  They have kept it heated to avoid damp but my husband said there are walls with like 10 layers of wall paper...I don't think it has radiator heat, I think it's fireplace.  His dad tried to work on it but stopped when he thought he saw that top floor didn't seem to have some sort of a support beam...apparently maybe something that was acceptable back in day but not so much now, that's my main concern, I imagine bringing electric up to code is £££.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 11:20:24 AM by ConsuelaLemonPledge »
UK Spouse Visa

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 09:28:29 AM »
Haha...but, it's not even outside.  I think of preservation of exterior..strange.  I tried to find address and nothing came up, did see other buildings near by.  I tried to date it but no luck, I found an article that referred to it on an 1860 survey map...I assume that's the year.  They have kept it heated to avoid damp but my husband said there are walls with like 10 layers of wall paper...I don't think it has radiator heat, I think it's fireplace.  His dad tried to work on it but stopped when he thought he saw that top floor didn't seem to have some sort of a support beam...apparently maybe something that was acceptable back in day but not so much know, that's my main concern, I imagine bringing electric up to code is £££.

Instead of a survey, I would recommend finding a trusted local builder.  Take them through the property.  I bet they wouldn't charge much (if anything) and can give you an idea of what things would be required and the costs associated.

Great news that it doesn't seem to be a listed property.  That will help keep costs down.  :)

• Liked: 18
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 06:16:12 PM »
Finding a reputable local builder is the way to go. At least they'll do more than drive by.
One big question is the roof. If it's an old slate roof that needs to be replaced you're looking at a lot of money. A builder should be able to tell you.
Good luck.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 07:35:31 PM »
The contract will be key.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 342
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 09:16:19 AM »

:) The Google maps/drive by surveys are the mortgage company checking to  see if what you are paying for the house is more than property in that area is worth. Sometimes after these, they reduce their mortgage  offer. The mortgage applicant pays for this survey.

They also use this survey to check to see if they will get their money back if they repossess the property. Repos sell cheaper and there will be legal costs too that will need to be added to the mortgage owed.. Repos are not listed on the Land Registry figures as that would bring down value of house prices in that area and lower the average house price figures.

Only a fool would buy a property without having their own full survey carried out, including full structural survey and sewers survey etc and a Chancel repair liability search.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/a-guide-to-homebuyer-surveys-and-costs

https://www.homewardlegal.co.uk/blog/chancel-repair-liability-still-worry-when-buying-home

Your own private survey is what you have carried out before you  exchange contracts. The survey results let's you know whether to walk away from that property or reduce your offer.

The crack in the window you should have noticed. You can visit a property you are interested in as often as you like and could have paid someone to view it with you if you think you won't notice things. Any stuff not working; you should have made sure your solicitor asked those questions before exchange of contracts.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 09:36:19 AM by Sirius »

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 01:11:19 PM »

The crack in the window you should have noticed. You can visit a property you are interested in as often as you like and could have paid someone to view it with you if you think you won't notice things. Any stuff not working; you should have made sure your solicitor asked those questions before exchange of contracts.

Umm...  we did.  What shocked me was that the £2,500 survey did not find these same things.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 03:51:59 PM »
Umm...  we did.  What shocked me was that the £2,500 survey did not find these same things.

A cracked window isn't the kind of thing a survey is looking for, though.  Doesn't affect the value of the property or whether or not it's security for the mortgage lender, so it doesn't go on the report.

But that's a hell of an expensive survey, so I can see why someone might be annoyed!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 04:59:10 PM by Albatross »

• Liked: 768
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 09:14:32 PM »
I also think you need to keep in mind how sometimes your best intentions just don't go to plan.

Like how you intended to get a bathroom put in but 2 years later you are still squatting over a bucket and heating up water in the kitchen sink for a sponge bath.

Unless you have the money to do a major renovation in a few months time, I wouldn't even consider it.

You will be frustrated that your home improvement plans are extending years and you can barely function in a house with a leaky roof and no toilet.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab