Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Seeing a doctor while here as a visitor from the US  (Read 4110 times)

• Liked: 10
Seeing a doctor while here as a visitor from the US
« on: September 16, 2018, 04:36:16 AM »
Hello, I'm currently in the UK visiting my spouse on the visa waiver program. I am curious as to how it would work if I needed to see a doctor. I have travel medical insurance. Would I just call up the regular doctors office that my spouse goes to and make an appointment?

Also how would paying work I've Googled and I can't find much information because it just says it's free and some people have trouble paying because they're not equipped or familiar with taking payment. I'm well aware that it's not free to me as I'm a tourist.

Finally does anyone know what the typical cost, for a tourist, for a run-of-the-mill doctor's appointment would be? Can't find much about that either.

• Liked: 537
Re: Seeing a doctor while here as a visitor from the US
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 09:22:43 AM »
When I saw the GP on a visit it was £50. That's what the internet said and what they charged me. It was back in 2013 though.

I let them know I was here visiting and I just needed to see a GP and that I would pay cash for the appointment and any prescriptions. It was the GP office nearest my husband, but not his GP he is still registered at his GP from when he was younger.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 09:25:01 AM »
Hello, I'm currently in the UK visiting my spouse on the visa waiver program. I am curious as to how it would work if I needed to see a doctor. I have travel medical insurance. Would I just call up the regular doctors office that my spouse goes to and make an appointment?

Also how would paying work I've Googled and I can't find much information because it just says it's free and some people have trouble paying because they're not equipped or familiar with taking payment. I'm well aware that it's not free to me as I'm a tourist.

Finally does anyone know what the typical cost, for a tourist, for a run-of-the-mill doctor's appointment would be? Can't find much about that either.
It likely won't be as much as in the US where its like $120-150 for the appointment alone. I would assume you're either injured or quite ill if you need the doctor while visiting, so you will also have to pay for any medication and tests. You would probably want to go to a walk in or minor injuries clinic, but you could also try your husband's GP. Once you have the bills you would submit them to your insurance, and keep copies showing they were paid. Be pushy if needed to get the bills, you don't want to put a future visa in jeopardy. I hope you feel better!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 09:45:57 AM »
When I saw the GP on a visit it was £50. That's what the internet said and what they charged me. It was back in 2013 though.

I let them know I was here visiting and I just needed to see a GP and that I would pay cash for the appointment and any prescriptions. It was the GP office nearest my husband, but not his GP he is still registered at his GP from when he was younger.

At the GP they didn't ask me for any information really, just how I was feeling and an NHS number wasn't created for me. They had me fill out a few sections of their usual new patient info.

I had a UTI (never had one before but I'd  figured from the symptoms) and just needed to start antibiotics before I flew home as that would have been hell on an airplane...
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 09:52:40 AM »
Whatever you do, insist on a bill.  They may say it’s covered, etc.  But you need the bill and paid receipt for your visa application.

• Liked: 387
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 11:06:52 AM »
Whatever you do, insist on a bill.  They may say it’s covered, etc.  But you need the bill and paid receipt for your visa application.

This!

My experience was a while ago, but when I tried to get billed when I needed to see a GP as a visitor, it was like trying to squeeze water out of a rock.  You absolutely must insist on getting billed, potentially in the face of them resisting to do so.  I know it's difficult when you're already feeling poorly, but it is important to do so.

Hope that you can see someone, and feel better!  No one should be ill on holiday.

• Liked: 342
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 12:26:39 PM »
Some things are given for free under the present UK laws.  Each country can give other things for free in their NHS if they want to  and can add or remove from that free list. Which is why somebody who is refused free treatment in say England, could get that for free in say Wales,. at the moment.

Each government publish their free NHS list (which includes UK NHS rules too). Some have talked about reducing what they will give visitors for free, so these are their present lists.

England
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/nhs-entitlements-migrant-health-guide

Scotland
https://www.gov.scot/Topics/Health/Services/Overseas-visitors

Wales.
http://www.wales.nhs.uk/nhswalesaboutus/budgetcharges/overseasvisitors

You have been wise enough to travel with insurance, so the other rules won't apply to you.

As said, if you are not allowed to be given something for free, then make sure you are billed and keep that proof. UKVI have access to NHS records.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 12:30:05 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 12:51:08 PM »
Thank you everyone for the responses and advice.

I will definitely insist on getting a bill. I've come down with a very painful sore throat and I'm flying home in a week. Part of me wants to get on antibiotics (if necessary) to make my journey more bearable.

Might just wait until I'm back in the states though.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 12:53:17 PM »
Thank you everyone for the responses and advice.

I will definitely insist on getting a bill. I've come down with a very painful sore throat and I'm flying home in a week. Part of me wants to get on antibiotics (if necessary) to make my journey more bearable.

Might just wait until I'm back in the states though.

Have a look at the back of your throat with a light.  If there are white spots (puss) visible, they *may* give antibiotics....  though usually only if it’s been a couple of weeks without clearing.  The NHS loves the line “it’s a virus”.   ::) 

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 01:21:53 PM »
Have a look at the back of your throat with a light.  If there are white spots (puss) visible, they *may* give antibiotics....  though usually only if it’s been a couple of weeks without clearing.  The NHS loves the line “it’s a virus”.   ::)

Oh thanks for the heads up! I'll just keep my eye on it and try to avoid the hassle.

You guys are always so helpful, thank you!

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 01:48:24 PM »

Do they not do strep tests over here?
A positive strep test is the only time I ever got antibiotics for a sore throat back in the States.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 01:51:46 PM »
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 01:52:32 PM »
It will be easier to just go to the pharmacist. The NHS is really pushing your local pharmacists as your first point of contact.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 01:54:40 PM »
Sore throat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 02:02:53 PM »
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 03:00:59 PM by vinny »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab