Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Food Prices  (Read 4513 times)

• Liked: 4985
UK Food Prices
« on: October 01, 2018, 10:13:56 AM »
I thought this was an interesting article.

Surprisingly the USA is considered cheaper for food - but based on what percentage of take home pay is spent on "food to eat at home".  I suspect that since salaries are higher in the USA, they are spending more on food, but it's a lower percentage of income.  I also suspect that more money is spent on eating out.

But it does shed light on how crazy food prices could go with Brexit... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45559594

• Liked: 1327
Re: UK Food Prices
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 10:21:43 AM »

I spend more than the typical household on food, already, as a percentage of income.  We can afford it now, but I am worried about the already-rising cost (when I first came over, I could keep a weekly shop at around £40, and sometimes had to find extras to top up my basket to make the minimum order for Ocado, but now keeping a shop under £70 seems like a win).  My husband is convinced that I've just got spoiled and I spend more on luxuries, but I'm all, "I shop at Tesco, Aldi and B&M, now!"  And he points out that I buy fillet steak every week.  And I point out that he gets sad if I suggest a meal that he finds "boring," but I was happy to do "spag bol" if he prefers.  He then makes a face and changes the subject.  :)

Anyway, yes... that was a very interesting article.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 12:38:15 PM »
Interesting stuff.... 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 03:32:55 PM »
I thought this was an interesting article.

Surprisingly the USA is considered cheaper for food - but based on what percentage of take home pay is spent on "food to eat at home".  I suspect that since salaries are higher in the USA, they are spending more on food, but it's a lower percentage of income. I also suspect that more money is spent on eating out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45559594

The study specifically says that it is on food to eat at home.

Interesting article, and my wife and I have often said how we shop has changed dramatically from when we used to live here before. We lived in this town from 79 to 87 then moved to the USA for 29 years and returned to the same place  just over 2 years ago.

Over the decades the traditional single weekly shopping trip has also given way to more frequent outings, for purchasing smaller baskets of goods.
Unable to rely on past loyalty, supermarkets have had to work harder to attract customers.
This is particularly true now there are more low-cost options available. Discounters Aldi and Lidl have grown quickly in recent years and now have 13% of the UK's grocery market, making it much harder for other supermarkets to raise their prices.

The places we lived in the USA we continued our practice of a weekly shop but back here now there is so much more choice of supermarkets from 30 years ago. It is only a 15 minute walk from our house to a Sainsburys, a Morrisons, a Lidl, an Aldi, an Iceland, an M&S food store plus a B&M (which also sells groceries).
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 216
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 03:44:45 PM »
Funny that the US is considered less expensive. I think it must depend on where you live in the US. I suppose they're using an average but I can assure I paid way more for groceries in Los Angeles than I have in the UK and that's with me shopping at M&S and Booths in the UK. Admittedly, I did most of my shopping at Whole Foods aka Whole Paycheck in LA but even at the average grocery chain like Ralphs, I've paid more for food than I have in the UK.
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 03:51:14 PM »
Funny that the US is considered less expensive. I think it must depend on where you live in the US. I suppose they're using an average but I can assure I paid way more for groceries in Los Angeles than I have in the UK and that's with me shopping at M&S and Booths in the UK. Admittedly, I did most of my shopping at Whole Foods aka Whole Paycheck in LA but even at the average grocery chain like Ralphs, I've paid more for food than I have in the UK.

Yup, I had SERIOUS sticker shock the last time I visited my parents.  I couldn't get over the prices.  Bread, meat, fruit, vegetables, it all seemed so expensive!

That's why I wonder if the key is "food to eat at home".  As maybe Americans eat at home less and therefore have a lower grocery shopping bill?

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 04:18:51 PM »
Yup, I had SERIOUS sticker shock the last time I visited my parents.  I couldn't get over the prices.  Bread, meat, fruit, vegetables, it all seemed so expensive!

That's why I wonder if the key is "food to eat at home".  As maybe Americans eat at home less and therefore have a lower grocery shopping bill?

That makes sense... because I definitely dined out far more in LA than actually cooking and eating at home there. But I still spent a lot on groceries. I think the lesson here is that I eat too much.  [smiley=laugh3.gif]

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 04:20:54 PM »

Seriously. I just couldn't believe the price of groceries in the US!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 04:28:19 PM »
Seriously. I just couldn't believe the price of groceries in the US!

And this is exactly why I could not understand it when my husband said to me that M&S is expensive. I think I mentioned in another thread that I got called "posh" because I like to shop at M&S. Ummmm... I hope they never see me at Whole Foods then! LOL!!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 08:11:10 PM »
And this is exactly why I could not understand it when my husband said to me that M&S is expensive. I think I mentioned in another thread that I got called "posh" because I like to shop at M&S. Ummmm... I hope they never see me at Whole Foods then! LOL!!

Whole foods, Trader Joe's and all those stores are a US version of posh. Haha. I love them, but I would never do an entire shop there, too expensive.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 09:04:55 PM »
The quality of what I get here for the money is much better. In the States we didn't eat at home all that much, so we spent much more. I shop selectively here, as some things seem to cost a lot more and so I only buy them when they are on sale. I spend between 50 and 60 pounds on a shop every week (including cleaning supplies, laundry soap, etc.) and could trim it back a little.  If I had to. But I'm enjoying not having to, at this juncture! ;D

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 09:06:28 PM »
Whole foods, Trader Joe's and all those stores are a US version of posh. Haha. I love them, but I would never do an entire shop there, too expensive.

I had both Whole Foods and Trader Joe's within walking distance of my house in LA. Was constantly in both of them. I'm definitely going to miss Whole Foods. But I really do like M&S and Booths a lot so I'm sure I'll survive.   ;)

• Liked: 25
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 11:01:51 AM »
I'm lucky in that we have a wholefoods in Richmond! We dont do a whole shop there (we do Waitrose delivery) but really enjoy it as an restaurant alternative.
I had both Whole Foods and Trader Joe's within walking distance of my house in LA. Was constantly in both of them. I'm definitely going to miss Whole Foods. But I really do like M&S and Booths a lot so I'm sure I'll survive.   ;)
We spend about the same on groceries in London as we did in Denver and Boston. We've reduced red meat and beer and that certainly helps. I tried Ocado, Tesco, and Amazon Fresh here and Waitrose came out on top as far as quality and consistency, and we spend about the same as we did in the US at Amazon Fresh or our local "King Soopers" for our weekly shop.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Type of Application: Priority Settlement Spouse Visa
Online Application: 24 Feb 18 from CO
Biometrics: 27 Feb 18 in CO
Application sent: 28 Feb 18
Decision email received: 28 Mar 18 (16 BD)
Passport received: 30 Mar 18
Landed in UK: 4 Apr 18

FLR(m) 2020
Applied: 7 Sept 20
Biometrics: 16 Oct 20
Granted: 6 Nov 20

ILR-SET(m)
Applied: 8 Mar 23
Biometrics: 27 Mar 23
Granted: 28 Mar 23

Citizenship
Applied: 17 July 23
Biometrics: 04 Aug 23
Granted: 13 Nov 2023
Ceremony booked: 16 January 2024🇬🇧

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 11:35:59 AM »
I'm lucky in that we have a wholefoods in Richmond! We dont do a whole shop there (we do Waitrose delivery) but really enjoy it as an restaurant alternative. We spend about the same on groceries in London as we did in Denver and Boston. We've reduced red meat and beer and that certainly helps. I tried Ocado, Tesco, and Amazon Fresh here and Waitrose came out on top as far as quality and consistency, and we spend about the same as we did in the US at Amazon Fresh or our local "King Soopers" for our weekly shop.

Waitrose have their own delivery, separate to Ocado?
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 25
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 11:54:45 AM »
They do! And the first 5(?) deliveries have £20 off!
Waitrose have their own delivery, separate to Ocado?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Type of Application: Priority Settlement Spouse Visa
Online Application: 24 Feb 18 from CO
Biometrics: 27 Feb 18 in CO
Application sent: 28 Feb 18
Decision email received: 28 Mar 18 (16 BD)
Passport received: 30 Mar 18
Landed in UK: 4 Apr 18

FLR(m) 2020
Applied: 7 Sept 20
Biometrics: 16 Oct 20
Granted: 6 Nov 20

ILR-SET(m)
Applied: 8 Mar 23
Biometrics: 27 Mar 23
Granted: 28 Mar 23

Citizenship
Applied: 17 July 23