Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK Food Prices  (Read 4520 times)

• Liked: 533
Re: UK Food Prices
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2018, 01:42:35 PM »
Some people put a lot of letters after their names. I am of the school of thought that f it isn't a PhD or MD it is a bit gauche.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 958
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2018, 01:57:16 PM »
I think you can get more for your money in the states and for most things the food lasts longer.

The "more for your money" is a bit debatable, it just depends on what you eat. But food does last longer in the states because of the way it's preserved and transported, often with chemicals that aren't allowed in the EU. I'm ok with having to shop more often to not have waxes on my produce, or it rinsed with chlorine. I learned this with potatoes, you can't buy giant bags unless you plan to use them quickly or they will sprout before you get to them.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2018, 03:01:48 PM »
Some people put a lot of letters after their names. I am of the school of thought that f it isn't a PhD or MD it is a bit gauche.

Dude, my eyes roll so far back into my head I can't see for like 5 minutes...

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2018, 03:03:48 PM »
I finally reconciled my September accounts (yes, I do that).  In September, we spent £1,234.83 on food.  Ugh, how is that even possible?  We were on holiday for a bit of that, so that's in there.  But DAMN, that's a crap ton of money.  £41 per day!   :o

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2018, 03:06:18 PM »
I finally reconciled my September accounts (yes, I do that).  In September, we spent £1,234.83 on food.  Ugh, how is that even possible?  We were on holiday for a bit of that, so that's in there.  But DAMN, that's a crap ton of money.  £41 per day!   :o

OMG!!!!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 216
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2018, 03:08:33 PM »

Ouch. Yeah, that's a lot on food for a month. Do you have a big family though?
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2018, 03:12:53 PM »

At least you know where there are savings to be made, if you wanted to!   ;)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2018, 03:15:03 PM »
I take it you're still needing to get a fair bit of gluten free and allergy food, yeah? That stuff is too damn expensive!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2018, 04:09:27 PM »

Ahhhhhh, thank you!  I feel so much better about my "lavish" lifestyle!  We spend considerably less than that, and my husband still thinks it's too much.  But he does't know how much food prices have changed in the last 6 years since I started doing the shopping.  I feel like turning it over to him for a few weeks, so he can sort out buying food that he's willing to eat on the budget he thinks we should spend.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2018, 04:33:23 PM »
Ouch. Yeah, that's a lot on food for a month. Do you have a big family though?

Two adults, a 4 year old, and a 1 year old.  We are a crazy allergy family and those substitutes do cost a fair bit more than their non-allergy counterparts.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2018, 04:38:08 PM »
OMG!!!!

Wow! If you bought booze, that would run the cost up?  Are you including like diapers and baby supplies in there? That'd also run up a bill and fast!

My grocery bill for all of last month was about £200-220 for two adults. We ate well and I "overbought" on some staples to have them stockpiled (while they were cheap).

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2018, 04:39:29 PM »

At least you know where there are savings to be made, if you wanted to!   ;)

Yeah, lots of reasons:
Ate out a few times on holiday - which is abnormal for us
Had our big meat shop at Costco buying in bulk, which will last for some time
Had to refill loads of booze - we still need gluten free beer though   ::)
I'm on a diet and my food costs quite a bit
Due to said diet, my husband has been doing the weekly shop, selecting convenience foods, freezing them, not defrosting them, and having to rebuy to have something that night

So yeah, we can definitely cut the bill down.  But we still average £825/month.    :o

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2018, 04:41:21 PM »
Wow! If you bought booze, that would run the cost up?  Are you including like diapers and baby supplies in there? That'd also run up a bill and fast!

Yes, but it was literally a single pack of nappies that was £9.99.  That's not what killed us.  Nappies are actually VERY affordable here.

It's the 4 loaves of gluten free bread a week at £3.20 each.  3 to 4 speciality 1 litre bottles of "milk" that are £1.50 each.  Just those our bread and milk is nearly £20/week.

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2018, 04:41:54 PM »
I completely think that food costs more in the UK and even going out to eat. I think you can get more for your money in the states and for most things the food lasts longer.

The hubs and I started using Hello Fresh when I was over there last. It's great for people who don't have time to shop. Also perfect if you like trying new meals. I would recommend it!

Also, another thing about going out to eat... It was hard at first for me to get used to the fact that everyone gets starters before their main meal! The "appetizers" in the states are HUGE and that's what I thought it would be so I would always pass on the starters. Most of them are actually just a little portion. My hubby always get them, hes a little bit of a fatty who loves his food haha

They don't pick the fruit/veg "green" here and have it artificially ripened after transport, or load the food up with chemicals.  If we have to go back to the States I'd have hell shopping, as I'd have to go all-organic and pay through the nose for it! The food is waaay fresher here, and un-chemicaled (thank goodness!).

Hear ya about the appetizers in the US of A.  I often would just order an appetizer for a meal, and it worked fine. ;D  Here you get a shrimp on a plate with sauce artistically drizzled around it.  8) ::)

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2018, 04:43:53 PM »

Unless it's a professional degree and used in a business setting (never in a social one), like MPA, or CCA....

Otherwise, yeah, if I listed them all I would be Nan D., CC, AA, BA, MPA, etc. and that just looks stoopid!  ;)

Sponsored Links