Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Living in the UK... finally!  (Read 3786 times)

• Liked: 216
Living in the UK... finally!
« on: October 15, 2018, 06:04:41 PM »
Hi friends!

I arrived in the UK on Saturday morning. Flew into Edinburgh and it was a cinch getting through border force! Easiest ever. No questions, no hassle. Just told the officer I'm on a spouse visa, showed her the vignette in my passport, and showed her my approval letter. She stamped my vignette, told me to be sure to pick up my BRP and to use it with my passport whenever I travel out of the country. Simple as pie! I actually felt welcomed.  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

Hubby and sweet stepdaughter picked me up from the airport. Was such a sight for sore eyes when I first saw them. So nice to hug and kiss them both knowing that this time I'm here for good! Made the 2-ish hour drive down to Penrith, most of which I slept through. I was so exhausted!! Had such an uncomfortable seat on the plane. It was an exit row so tons of legroom but I was at the bulkhead and those seats have closed in sides so my big hips and thighs felt like they were getting smooshed the entire time. I slept for all of 10 minutes on the flight. Ugh.  [smiley=sleeping2.gif]

Once we arrived at the house, I had to sleep a bit more. Had a good 2 hour nap on the sofa. Then we went out and had mac n cheese at the Morrison's cafe. It's delish. Best mac n cheese around these parts. Only mine is better! LOL! Other than that, we've just been chillin', making up for lost time, and just loving on each other. Sadly, my husband had to go to work today. Wish we would have more time to spend together after months apart. But at least I know we never have to part again.

I am loving the weather. Cool and sunny yesterday and today. Perfect autumn days. Though, when I arrived on Saturday, it was pouring rain... the rivers were even overflowing!! Yikes. Don't need any more of that! I can't believe how early autumn seems to have started. The trees across from our house are nearly bare already! I'm lucky I got here when I did or I would have missed autumn altogether.

So, next orders of business are BRP, GP, name on bills/paper billing, bank account, NIN... Phew! Practice driving and maybe take some lessons. I also just want to jump in and get involved in activities right away. Yoga, tennis, maybe some volunteering... just so I can maybe start to meet some people and make some friends. I don't want to get into the habit of just sitting in the house because I know it'll lead to depression. And of course, I have to start checking out work prospects. I've got some unique qualifications which will either help me or hinder me. We shall see...

Anyway, just wanted to check in and let you all know I'm here and ready for expat life! So glad I have this online community for support!  ;D
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 239
Re: Living in the UK... finally!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 06:07:54 PM »
Glad you made it! Welcome!  :D
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 06:15:57 PM »
Glad you finally made it :).

Had such an uncomfortable seat on the plane. It was an exit row so tons of legroom but I was at the bulkhead and those seats have closed in sides so my big hips and thighs felt like they were getting smooshed the entire time. I slept for all of 10 minutes on the flight. Ugh.  [smiley=sleeping2.gif]

My flight back from the Falklands was similar - I was in a bulkhead seat too, and so the armrests on either side of me held the seat trays and were closed in... I had to sit in that seat for 9.5 hours on the first flight and 6 hours on the second flight!

I am loving the weather. Cool and sunny yesterday and today. Perfect autumn days. Though, when I arrived on Saturday, it was pouring rain... the rivers were even overflowing!! Yikes. Don't need any more of that! I can't believe how early autumn seems to have started. The trees across from our house are nearly bare already! I'm lucky I got here when I did or I would have missed autumn altogether.

Ah, you arrived in the middle of Storm Callum - strong winds and heavy rain! At least it was fairly warm though... when I arrived home last Saturday it was raining, but only about 8 Celsius - I was freezing (and I'd just arrived from southern hemisphere winter, where it was snowing)..

So, next orders of business are BRP, GP, name on bills/paper billing, bank account, NIN... Phew! Practice driving and maybe take some lessons. I also just want to jump in and get involved in activities right away. Yoga, tennis, maybe some volunteering... just so I can maybe start to meet some people and make some friends. I don't want to get into the habit of just sitting in the house because I know it'll lead to depression. And of course, I have to start checking out work prospects. I've got some unique qualifications which will either help me or hinder me. We shall see...

By all means, get involved with things, but be careful not to overdo it and burn out. You're still jetlagged, and you've just made a major life change, so you may find your emotions end up all over the place over the next few weeks... just make sure you take some time for yourself and take care of yourself too :).

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 06:42:30 PM »
Glad you made it! Welcome!  :D

Thank you! It's surreal that I'm here and I don't have to leave!! Feel like I can finally establish some roots again.

Glad you finally made it :).

My flight back from the Falklands was similar - I was in a bulkhead seat too, and so the armrests on either side of me held the seat trays and were closed in... I had to sit in that seat for 9.5 hours on the first flight and 6 hours on the second flight!

Ah, you arrived in the middle of Storm Callum - strong winds and heavy rain! At least it was fairly warm though... when I arrived home last Saturday it was raining, but only about 8 Celsius - I was freezing (and I'd just arrived from southern hemisphere winter, where it was snowing)..

By all means, get involved with things, but be careful not to overdo it and burn out. You're still jetlagged, and you've just made a major life change, so you may find your emotions end up all over the place over the next few weeks... just make sure you take some time for yourself and take care of yourself too :).

I have to admit, I've been pretty spoiled with flights as my mother is a Delta airline retiree. My flight cost me peanuts so I guess I shouldn't complain too much. But nothing worse than wanting to sleep and not being able to. That bulkhead seat is awful!! I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!

Yes, Storm Callum was quite a doozy. I just left from Florida where we were fortunately missed by Hurricane Michael in Miami but the panhandle wasn't so lucky. I'm hoping the weather will stay calm here as they certainly don't need anymore flooding in Cumbria. I've heard all about Storm Desmond a couple years back and the mess it left.

I know it will definitely take some time to truly get adjusted. I already had a bit of sadness leaving my mom, stepdad, and grandma as I know I won't be seeing them for a long while. Every other time I left them it was with the knowing that I'd be back soon. But again, I am fortunate as I know my mom and stepdad will come to see me often with her Delta benefits. So I really shouldn't complain especially when I know there are people who haven't seen their US family members for years. I am blessed.

In the meantime, I'm just gonna keep loving on my husband and stepdaughter, cook some nice meals for them, and do some yoga to keep myself calm and centered. I so appreciate you support and encouragement!  :)

• Liked: 676
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 06:57:02 PM »
Welcome!

Relax, do what absolutely has to be done, and then take it easy. It's a big change, and a lot of emotional energy used up. Be kind to yourself and let yourself recover and recharge.

And Enjoy!

• Liked: 170
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 07:43:53 PM »
My mum is a Delta retiree too!!! It's what originally let me come over here for Uni as I could fly back and forth for free (well, taxes)... And then I never looked back!

Welcome!!
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 11
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 08:20:11 PM »
Welcome!! Nice to have another lady in the North!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 08:34:02 PM »
is this the first time you've lived with a step daughter? 

I was a stepchild, and know how complicated that relationship can be.  Good luck!
If it makes you feel better, as I got older I really started to like my stepmother and know we have a great relationship.

• It's never too late to live happily ever after
  • Liked: 219
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 09:23:08 PM »
Hi friends!

I arrived in the UK on Saturday morning. Flew into Edinburgh and it was a cinch getting through border force! Easiest ever. No questions, no hassle. Just told the officer I'm on a spouse visa, showed her the vignette in my passport, and showed her my approval letter. She stamped my vignette, told me to be sure to pick up my BRP and to use it with my passport whenever I travel out of the country. Simple as pie! I actually felt welcomed.  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

Hubby and sweet stepdaughter picked me up from the airport. Was such a sight for sore eyes when I first saw them. So nice to hug and kiss them both knowing that this time I'm here for good! Made the 2-ish hour drive down to Penrith, most of which I slept through. I was so exhausted!! Had such an uncomfortable seat on the plane. It was an exit row so tons of legroom but I was at the bulkhead and those seats have closed in sides so my big hips and thighs felt like they were getting smooshed the entire time. I slept for all of 10 minutes on the flight. Ugh.  [smiley=sleeping2.gif]

Once we arrived at the house, I had to sleep a bit more. Had a good 2 hour nap on the sofa. Then we went out and had mac n cheese at the Morrison's cafe. It's delish. Best mac n cheese around these parts. Only mine is better! LOL! Other than that, we've just been chillin', making up for lost time, and just loving on each other. Sadly, my husband had to go to work today. Wish we would have more time to spend together after months apart. But at least I know we never have to part again.

Anyway, just wanted to check in and let you all know I'm here and ready for expat life! So glad I have this online community for support!  ;D

Awwww.. so good to hear you are finally there and lovin it.. Yep, rest up and love your family. YAY! So happy for you, can't wait to get there and meet halfway or so and get a glass of wine... ENJOY  :)
Found My Soulmate 12/2017
Engaged : 6/15/2018
Married : 10/28/2018
Priority Spouse Online App Submitted : 11/19/2018
Biometrics appointment : 11/23/2018
Docs sent to NY : 11/23/2018
Doc received in NY : 11/26/2018
Docs received in Sheffield email :12/21/2018
Email requesting proof of Priority Service : 1/26/2019
Email stating "technical issue which is delaying this application : 1/30/2019
Email requesting bank statements to be re-sent : 2/14/2019
2nd Email requesting bank statements: 3/4/19
Decision made email: 3/6/19
Visa : YESS 3/7/19 (70BD)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 08:20:54 AM »
Welcome!!   :) :) :)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 12:08:53 PM »
Glad to hear you made it here safely :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 12:54:08 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome, everyone!! I've been taking it pretty easy the last couple of days. I think the exhaustion of everything that was entailed to get here has caught up to me. I'm sure I'll be back up to speed in a few days.

Awwww.. so good to hear you are finally there and lovin it.. Yep, rest up and love your family. YAY! So happy for you, can't wait to get there and meet halfway or so and get a glass of wine... ENJOY  :)

Yes!! I look forward to our drink as well!  :)

is this the first time you've lived with a step daughter? 

I was a stepchild, and know how complicated that relationship can be.  Good luck!
If it makes you feel better, as I got older I really started to like my stepmother and know we have a great relationship.

Thanks for the encouragement! Yes, she's my first stepdaughter. Honestly, she's a sweetheart. She's going to be turning 11 years old in a couple of weeks. We get along superbly! I get along nicely with her mam so I think that helps as well. When she's with us, we always do fun things and have lots of laughs. We have grown very comfortable with each other and have a nice relationship.  :)

Welcome!! Nice to have another lady in the North!

Thank you! Whereabouts in the North are you located?  :D

My mum is a Delta retiree too!!! It's what originally let me come over here for Uni as I could fly back and forth for free (well, taxes)... And then I never looked back!

Welcome!!

Thanks! It's such a nice perk to get such discounts on flights. Makes all the difference. There's no way I could have come here as frequently as I have been for the last two years without that flight benefit. What did your mom do for the company? My mom was in reservations and then eventually in administrative stuff. She was originally based in Detroit and when that office closed, she was in Miami until she retired.

• Liked: 11
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 02:10:04 PM »
I live between Manchester and Liverpool; near Wigan.

• It's never too late to live happily ever after
  • Liked: 219
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 02:13:11 PM »
I live between Manchester and Liverpool; near Wigan.

:D You are just about 40 miles SW of where I will be moving to  :D
Found My Soulmate 12/2017
Engaged : 6/15/2018
Married : 10/28/2018
Priority Spouse Online App Submitted : 11/19/2018
Biometrics appointment : 11/23/2018
Docs sent to NY : 11/23/2018
Doc received in NY : 11/26/2018
Docs received in Sheffield email :12/21/2018
Email requesting proof of Priority Service : 1/26/2019
Email stating "technical issue which is delaying this application : 1/30/2019